Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some tips to help those who are clueless about men's fashion

dog20

Familiar Face
Is there an easy way to figure out if a watch is for a man? Such as a dial diameter guideline?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is there an easy way to figure out if a watch is for a man? Such as a dial diameter guideline?

Watches are typically split into three sexes:
1. Men - larger faces, thicker bands
2. Women - smaller faces, thinner bands; sometimes bands range from non-flexible bracelets to slim jewelry-like bracelets.
3. Unisex - see Men above

There are many varieties of watches, and no standard size or look. The best rule of thumb is that watches intended for females tend to be a bit dainty, whereas a man's watch typically serves a purpose (telling time).

Espee

Practically Family
I wondered if that one rule was trying to tell you not to wear suspenders OVER a waistcoat...
A young guy shopping in a store said to me, "Excuse me... do you know how long a vest is supposed to be?"
I said, "Long enough to hide your belt. That way people can think you could be wearing suspenders."

filfoster

One Too Many
I'm surprised more people don't wear suspenders. To not have a belt putting unnecessary pressure on my mid-line, and having my trousers stay up, is a beautiful thing.

Amen. I am'skinny' but suspenders feel so much better than a cinched waist and keep the trou at a desirable level with no 'creep'. (well, excepting the feller inside them but you know what I mean).

filfoster

One Too Many
Watches are typically split into three sexes:
1. Men - larger faces, thicker bands
2. Women - smaller faces, thinner bands; sometimes bands range from non-flexible bracelets to slim jewelry-like bracelets.
3. Unisex - see Men above

There are many varieties of watches, and no standard size or look. The best rule of thumb is that watches intended for females tend to be a bit dainty, whereas a man's watch typically serves a purpose (telling time).

Or nowadays, the regrettable oversized monsters that serve as 'bling'.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Are you stating the "rules" listed in the OP are actually regulations governing conduct? Or perhaps the "rules" listed are in some way customary sartorial practice?

In either case, the answer would be negative. If the OP were regulations governing conduct, they would be false - there are a number of inaccurate "rules" listed, including the bow tie conjecture.

If the OP were customary sartorial practices, they would again be inaccurate as already detailed in previous posts.

They are good "rules" because, if you follow them, you will not be subject to any (reasonable) criticism or censure. On the other hand, if you do not follow them, you might be worse off for it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's surprising how many brands mislabel understate their waist sizes. The desire for people to stay in their smaller waist size is very powerful, and I think has caused a good part of the men's trouser industry to understate the real size of their trouser waists. I am technically a 38, but wear a lot of trousers labeled "36", but when I measure the size myself, they are 38's.

The industry term for this is "vanity sizing". Levi's Dockers are big abusers of it, while Polo Ralph Lauren is more honest.

Last edited:

Undertow

They are good "rules" because, if you follow them, you will not be subject to any (reasonable) criticism or censure. On the other hand, if you do not follow them, you might be worse off for it.

Perhaps I'm arguing semantics here, but I find the OP to be a set of guidelines according to modern taste; a set of "reasonable" rules, however, it is not.

The problem with this list is not that it doesn't adhere to anyone's particular tastes, so much as it suggests a one-size-fits-all rule is appropriate; this in a world of such sartorial freedom.

For instance, suggesting one avoid pleated pants and wide leg trousers is, at best, bad advice. Perhaps the bullet point should read, "A pleated trouser with wide legs often suits more substantial men, while a flat front and narrow trouser is better suited for the thinner gentleman."

Or rather than say women don't approve of bow ties, which is pure speculation gone terribly awry, the point might read, "Bow ties are an acceptable, if not uncommon, substitute for the neck tie in modern fashion."

Feraud

Bartender
For instance, suggesting one avoid pleated pants and wide leg trousers is, at best, bad advice. Perhaps the bullet point should read, "A pleated trouser with wide legs often suits more substantial men, while a flat front and narrow trouser is better suited for the thinner gentleman."
I've found the opposite to be true. Stout men benefit from flat front non-baggy cut trousers while thin fellas look fine in pleated wide legged ones. Low rise(a frequently overlooked detail) trousers will ruin the look of any cut of trouser be you stout or thin!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab

Or rather than say women don't approve of bow ties, which is pure speculation gone terribly awry, the point might read, "Bow ties are an acceptable, if not uncommon, substitute for the neck tie in modern fashion."

The avoid pleated trousers rule has as much factual basis as the "untapered high crowned hats don't suit narrow faces" rule. A simple look at my avatar will prove that high crowned untapered hats can work with narrow faces and that pleated wide legged trousers can suit thin people (unless you are of the opinion that I look badly dressed in my avatar of course :p).

As for bowties; they simply need a lot of confidence to pull off. They are unusual these days and inappropriate for certain situations (like very conservative job interviews), but they are not frowned upon by the ladies. I've found quite the opposite in fact.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

I think vintage watches can be smaller than modern watches for men. This could cause some confusion. It is also a matter of taste and style. Imagine Sylvester Stallone with a very slim silver watch

Why do you ask? Do already own a watch? (Pictures would help) or do want to buy a used one? Most modern ones would be advertised as for men or women.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I love pleats - I quite enjoy being able to put things like lighters or packets of cigarettes in my pockets and still be able to sit down comfortably. Hell, with pleats and deep pockets I've occasionally misplaced a lighter when I've needed it most because I've forgotten it's been there.

I just can't see the reasoning behind not having pleats at all when they're highly practical, comfortable and, if the trousers fit at least, improve the fit spectacularly to my eye. Just my two-penneth on that rule.

Undertow

...Low rise(a frequently overlooked detail) trousers will ruin the look of any cut of trouser be you stout or thin!

Oh lord, don't get me started with low-rise trousers! It's a modern miracle to find OTR trousers in my size that actually fit at my waist. Even wool slacks from a suiting store seem to be under my waist no matter how hard I try.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The "rules" against pleated trousers and bow ties have the same basis: there are large numbers of people out there who will look askance on you for wearing them.

In addition, personally I find whatever aesthetic value pleats might have is lost at a time when it is impossible to buy a suit without low rise trousers.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The "rules" against pleated trousers and bow ties have the same basis: there are large numbers of people out there who will look askance on you for wearing them.

Yes ... and in some professions, wearing clothes that make people look askance at you can hurt your chances of being successful. Depending on your line of work, you have to weigh the pros and the cons: i.e., is the wearing of my bow tie --as much as I like it-- worth jeopardizing my chances of attracting a customer and closing a sale?

Flat Foot Floey

So we could conclude this "rules" are for the modern businessman who wants to fit in.
Male fashion Icons like Fred Astaire or the Dude of Windsor didn't need to worry about this. Their "rule-breaking" made their styles famous.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
So we could conclude this "rules" are for the modern businessman who wants to fit in.

That's definitely the impression I got from reading them. Yes, that seems to be their target audience.

Male fashion Icons like Fred Astaire or the Dude of Windsor didn't need to worry about this. Their "rule-breaking" made their styles famous.

It also helped that one was a prince (and who would he have to answer to?) and the other was an artist/entertainer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk