Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by HistoricDetroit, Dec 8, 2005.

1. dostacos

dostacos Practically Family

normally I don't discuss "security" issues in puplic, however I wear briefs for what it is worth....

2. A.R. McVintage

A.R. McVintage Registered User

When did the elastic band come into major use in boxers? What did boxers look like in the fifties?

3. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Practically Family

Usually I save my bluntness for the AAAC forum. However, I'll make an exception in this case.

Briefs are for girly men like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. I also put suspenders, bow-ties, cuffed trousers, and parting one's hair down the middle in the girly-man category.

M8

4. Dan G

Dan G One of the Regulars

Well hell, wearing briefs and suspenders, and, I'll be, hair parted down the middle... Guess being a logger from north Idaho probably doesn't do me any favors either?:rolleyes: Martinis? I'll buy you a man drink sometime.[huh] lol

5. fatwoul

fatwoul Practically Family

I'm not a briefs person either, but this comment seems unfair to me. I hardly think a man's choice of men's underwear dictates his masculinity.

As Dan G hints at, there are some occupations and lifestyles which would suit one type of underwear more than the other, and they have nothing to do with whether or not the wearer is "girly". :rolleyes:

6. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

'Fraid Not! :fedora:

7. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'm convinced. I'm going to find some bow ties to go with my cuffed trousers and braces.

8. number6

number6 Familiar Face

parting

I'm with you all the way except for the centre parting bit , mine's now 6 inches wide .:D

9. BrotherBob

BrotherBob Familiar Face

Neither

Here's me in the London Marathon:

[​IMG]

You got a problem with that?

I don't do boxers well. Mr. Happy won't stay in one place and mind his manners. Briefs, but for the love of Jeebus, no white ones. They remind me too much of my Dad wandering around his house at night. And whiteys rob you of one more opportunity to coordinate colors.

10. Martinis at 8, going for the BB award for highest flame to valid post ratio.

bk

11. Martinis at 8

Uh, could we talk about something less volatile, like maybe religion or politics? :D

M8

12. wedding belle

wedding belle Familiar Face

You know, all that really matters is that they are clean :)

13. Martinis at 8

I am expecting a pile-on. See how it works, I merely stated an opinion :D

M8

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

I grey up with big, 70s-style, white Y-fronts - think the young man on the right of this picture:

[​IMG]

It's what dad wore, so it's what was bought for us... At about 12, and following much mickey taking and one severe wedgie in the changing rooms at school, I moved into boxers and have stayed there ever since. About twelve years ago I developed a preference for snug-fitting jersey boxers, and I stick to those exclusively now (Rocky Horror costumes aside. :p ). Most of mine are CK, actually - for no better reason than I got a job lot for crazy cheap per pair on eBay. If I'd paid what they normally charge in a store, you better believe I'd be wearing them on the outside for all to see. lol

I think we guys get the easier end of the deal than the ladies by far: vintage men's styles will sit just fine whatever choice of (under)pants we make. Ladies got to wear the right period underwear to get things to look just right on the surface - whether or not that's to their comfort or taste.

15. vonwotan

vonwotan Practically Family

My preference these days is for the hybrid "boxer-briefs" from a company called Staples in Canada. They make them from silk that stretches and they cover the elastic in the waist. I find them more comfortable and easier to wear under well tailored trousers. I used to wear boxers but, most now feel bulky and bunch. I do have a few pairs of boxers I like to wear around the house - they come when I order shirts from our tailor in NYC.

16. slicedbread

slicedbread A-List Customer

Definitely boxer briefs...I'm quite active and am also prone to random bouts of backflips and dancing...Thus, boxers are not the way to go. Plus, I like the way they look.

17. KilroyCD

KilroyCD One Too Many

As long as the posts are as well...:D

18. K.D. Lightner

K.D. Lightner Call Me a Cab

OK, here's another gal checking in.

I grew up assuming adult men wore boxers because, everytime a comedian on TV did a pratfall, his trousers fell down revealing -- boxers with hearts or polka dots or, well, check out any old Bob Hope movie.

I do prefer boxers on men. I agree with a couple of you fellows who mentioned that briefs, especially white briefs, look like bandages. And white is sooo boring. I don't like white undies, not on anyone.

While it is true that briefs show off a man's, uh, assets, it is also true that boxers leave it to the imagination. And the imagination can be....

I am censoring the rest of this.

karol

19. J.S.Udontknowme

J.S.Udontknowme A-List Customer

Boxers and boxer briefs here.

20. Ecuador Jim

Ecuador Jim A-List Customer