Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I wish I knew why I just read this entire thread.

I wish I had those 11 minutes of my life back.

I wish I cared more about my underpants. I feel like such a prole.

I can offer only that I'll wear briefs when I know I'm doing something that may cause, erm, movement, so I want the support; and I'll wear boxers when I know I'll be in a chair and want to feel less... restricted. I also firmly believe that unless you are traveling in a waterless wasteland underpants should be worn once and then washed.

I will never return.

Bugsy

One Too Many
HistoricDetroit said:
Good Morning Gentlemen,
One of the things I haven't heard much about or seen any threads on are boxers. However, as my supply of boxers, which were purchased all at once several years ago, finds itself to now be rather worn, I'm looking at replacements. Being a guy who buy's American WHENEVER possible, I did a search and came across this site: http://www.cityboxers.com/

Their boxers appear to be of great quality, and they have a massive selection of colors and styles. And they are American Made!

With the movies back in the 1930s - 1950s being clean, especially by today's standards, I can't recall seeing any of the greats parading around on screen in their boxers, or unlike today, hanging out the back of their pants in a so-called "fashion statement".

I'm now wondering what existed back then as far as styles and available colors. On one hand, I'd like to imagine that boxers were like the 1940's ties, available in any design or color one would desire. On the other hand, I picture everybody in just white undershirts and shorts, ala the way the military was at the time, and to my knowledge still is.

I'm going to be picking up ten or fifteen pairs before too long, but would like some input. I assume the "shirting designs" would be the most appropriate? They seem the most appealing to me, although I also like the flannels and some of the solid colors. I'm not at all into the ones with designs on them though.

I ordered boxers from City Boxers. I found the quality to be very high, and service excellent. I also like the way you can design you boxers not only with the fabric one chooses, but also the design such as length, and waistband construction. GOod company to do business with.

Classics

New in Town
I, apparently like most, wore briefs as a kid. I moved to boxers in high school. I'm in the process of switching to boxer-briefs. Best of both worlds. Golden mean. Middle Path. All that.

Bugsy

One Too Many
???

Where can one get boxers like that these days?

Veronica Parra said:
From the pages of APPAREL ARTS trade magazine, Winter 1932. Look at the left column:

Morephotos031.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I can not stand the smell of bleach. But I've recently begun using Oxyclean with the whites, we'll see how well it works at preventing greying.

They protect suit/sportcoats from sweat stains. I never wore undershirts until, as an adult, I moved to Houston. One of my partners, a native Houstonian, clued me in to wearing undershirts to stay cooler in the brutal heat and humidity. I tried it even though it sounded incongruous to add another layer of clothing to beat the heat. He was right.[huh]

Try Biz. It's much less expensive then Oxyclean and does a much better job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21