Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by HistoricDetroit, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

What you were aiming at just dawned on me... :eusa_doh:

Bravo! :eusa_clap ;)

2. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

Glad I could be of service.

3. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

You can usually use less laundry detergent and bleach than what's recommended on label. If you have reasonably soft water you can get away with half the detergent recommended, and I tend to use that as a rule of thumb on bleach as well. Half the value of bleach on underwear is as a germ killer, and the smaller amount is adequate for that, too.
    I feel extremely uncomfortable without a t shirt underneath. They seem to moderate the extremes of hot and cold, and in New York you tend to get extremes of temperature from minute to minute, outside in the cold with heavy coat, then in the subway with excessive heat.

4. carebear

carebear My Mail is Forwarded Here

This...

Then...

Thus...

and Therefore...

Subtlety, my middle name. :D

5. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

You are a card, not a joker, but something to be dealt with.

6. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

You shouldn't have thrown them away. They make great dust rags.

7. SamMarlowPI

SamMarlowPI One Too Many

boxers and beaters...

8. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inward tranquility which religion is powerless to bestow.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. shindeco

shindeco A-List Customer

Bugsy,

Have you tried their French backs? I've tried both and can't decide which I like best but I think the French back wins by a hair.

10. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I am liking the tie backs from Vermont Country Store very much. They sit very high at the waist (above the belly button) and from the back they look almost Williamsburg-Colonial. Hard to describe. They are also more fitted in the seat than common boxers. I don't think they would work out if a chap had much of a front porch.
    They are also very comfortable as there is no elastic to dig at your middle.

11. MK

MK Founder Staff Member Bartender

I guess Ralph never met Jesus.

12. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Does Vermont still carry them?
    I checked the website and do not see it..

13. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

I have tried the French back boxers, but the buttons seems to get in my way for some reason. The tie backs were also easier to adjust--at least to my waist. However, like you, I have both.

Best,
    R

14. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

15. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

16. shortbow

shortbow Practically Family

Undershirts

It is currently 100 degrees, so I am indoors wearing a "wifebeater" undershirt, so as not to frighten the dog by going bare chested. Forgive that appellation but I don't know what they are properly called in NA, although I believe they are known as "vests" in the UK.

Anyhow, I only have this one, and I save it for this purpose. My question is:

As an undershirt, what is the point of them as opposed to T's? Seems to me they can't protect the shirt's underarms nor the neck area. I know they were universally used in days of yore, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Apologies to the ladies and those of a delicate sensibility, but where else could I ask?

Thanks eh?

17. univibe88

univibe88 One Too Many

I believe it is properly called an A-shirt. I find that when it is so hot that I'm going to sweat through a t-shirt undershirt anyway, that I'll go for the a-shirt and try to keep a little cooler

18. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

I believe, the original purpose, or an earlier usage, in England,
    at least, was as an "Athletic Vest". Not an undershirt, no use for sleeves.
    Also commonly known as a singlet- at least in the Antipodes.

B
    T

19. I've never quite been able to work out whether the undershirt was intended for:

1) protection of the overgarments from sweat

2) layers for insulation in colder weather

3) prevention of unsightly nipple showing through the overshirt.

Maybe it was for all 3. The only one which a vest is useless for is the first, since the armpits are the greatest sweat producers in the upper body.

bk

20. Flivver

Flivver Practically Family

A-Shirts...back in the early 1960s, Boston radio personality Dave Maynard (WBZ) waged a campaign to convince the men of New England to stop wearing exposed sleeveless undershirts. He considered them to be the height of tackiness and my mom agreed. She would never let my dad wear one under any circumstances.

Our next door neighbor *always* wore one of these shirts when he worked in the yard. My mom used to complain: "If only Dave Maynard could see *this*!"