Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens Uniform Help Needed

faireone

New in Town
Hi Everyone!

My fiance and I are new to reenacting. I have come up with a WAVE and a WAC uniform for myself, but am having a hard time for him.

He is a large man, chest- 56 or 58 and pants around a 50. I can not find anything to fit him and reenactment sites sell up to about a 52.

He is not particular as to what branch of service as long as it fits, although he was Navy- Desert Storm. And that would be his preference- USN.

Any suggestions of where to look? Even a sewing pattern? Heck he would even go Allied if necessary.

We would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a difficult one...

Realistically, servicemen from WWII era were not as well fed and pampered as we are today. A 'Big Mac' was a trenchcoat in the 40's, and they were still at the tail end of a long Depression. Hence, photos will show men as thin as rakes, and the uniforms were designed for those frames of young, lean and mean sailors, soldiers, airmen.[huh]

So, thinking outside the box here, with your fiance having a 'more modern' build (unlike WWII frontline service personnel), to be realistic, I think it might be better looking at more of a rear echelon 'type' reenactor. I'm thinking of admin, or mechanic, engineer..etc (just throwing these ideas out at you to think about :) ).
So he might get away with 'boiler suit' 'Grease monkey' type overalls [huh] and that would be a good basis to start building on [huh] and hopefully easier to get hold of as a generic item. So start thinking of a heavy duty dark navy or olive overalls, and that is a good foundation to start adding to.

Run it past him anyway!!

Don't go down the 101 Airborne or fighter pilot route, it just wouldn't look right, and you want him to 'look right.'

I hope these ramblings are of some help. Good luck with that!!:eusa_clap

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't agree more with Paddy's suggestions :eusa_clap

To get a uniform that fits, your husband would more than likely have to have one tailored and that won't be cheap. As Paddy suggested it might be worth going for something which more aptly fits your husband's bigger size.

At the end of the day though, it's up to him as to what he wants to re-enact and feel comfortable in. But uniform-wise if he goes down that route, it'll more than likely require a tailor.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Paddys idea is a good one - heres a pic I took of some AAF reenactors at Duxfords 'Flying Legends' airshow yesterday. Check out the big guy on the right - mechanic ?? Looks good to me ( he looks like someone you'd think twice about arguing with as well LOL )
airshow047.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
What about a homefront impersonation, like Civil Defense, or something along those lines? It's one of those aspects of the war effort that is frequently forgotten, and was filled with folks that did not meet military requirements but nonetheless made crucial contributions. Perhaps some civil service types of roles might be appealing, too, say along the lines of Doyles War, or even an intelligence analyst, like someone who worked at Bletchley Park. Honestly, a lot of important roles go unfulfilled because so many folks fancy themselves a fighter or bomber pilot, forgetting the 10:1 ratio of ground personnel that kept those birds in the air. (myself included, BTW. Truth be told, I was an artilleryman!)

It's actually refreshing to see some alternate interpretations, which is why I love the Doyle's War series; you get to see the other side of the war.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A working Navy officer's or chief's outfit might be your best bet, based on the JCPenney Big Mac Klondike khaki twills.
These have an authentically WW2 cut but are poly-cotton blend for neatness. Shirts to 5XL, trousers to 56".
Combine with a khaki web belt and appropriate insignia and head cover (the fore-n-aft or "cutter" cap is the easiest to find), and he should look mighty squared away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo