Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mens wearhouse

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I am trying to follow you here, and from what I am understanding you are questioning whether it is a correct fit. I would like to ask the following, did they measure you? That is the old fashioned way to determine size. As we age our shape changes. Most of us have a rough idea what our size is in suit coats and slacks. As you have identified tailoring will vary from brand to brand. Perhaps this is a very trim fitted suit and you may have a athletic build w/ a broad chest and shoulders and a small waist. A salesman who knows his business should recognize this and direct you to suits that are tailored to fit your build. So start w/ what size you believe you are or they measure/estimate. Then try one size up and one size down. You see where I am going here. It should be obvious which looks and feels like the correct fit. Remember too, that jackets and pants are sold typically in even sizes. So for example, you may actually have a 43" chest. So you try on a 42" and a 44". Normally you go up a size and then take it in (tailor) My fear is the salesman pushed you into a suit one size too small and is telling you they can let it out. Sad to say, if they work on commission and they didn't have your best size (fit) they may have sold you a size too small, in order to get the sale. If it has been tailored and you are really not satisfied w/ the fit/comfort, ask to talk to the manager. Try the suit on for him, then look him straight in the eye, and ask him to confirm you were sold the correct size. If you still question it. Go to a independent tailor and ask them to measure you for a suit and slacks. If it's the same as the suit, try it on and see what his opinion is regarding fit and tailoring.

Last edited:

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
will they let me change a size up on the jacket when i recieve it on sunday at MWH? or do i have to purchase a completely new jacket from them?

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Once the alterations are done normally no refunds or exchanges are given. That is why I recommend talking to the manager. Tell him you relied on the expertise of the salesman. If he recognizes his sales staff steered you to the wrong size, he may make a exception. But then again he may not be honest w/ you.
Therefore, if it were me, I would take the suit to a independent tailor and get measured and then try the suit on and get his opinion. He may confirm you are correctly fitted and you have peace of mind w/o confrontation. If it is the wrong size he should tell you. The other side may be, correct size, but poor choice of tailoring for your build. Many suits will only look good on certain body shapes because of the way its cut.
Remember the Tommy Boy scene, "Hey Richard, fat guy in a little coat. Fat guy in a little coat". LOL that makes me laugh every time. I miss Chris Farley

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Is it possible when I go pick up the suit that they can make the jacket a larger size or do I have to buy a completely new suit.....
You can return or exchange the current suit.

Sigh.... I feel like a complete idiot I just remeasured myself in height and i find I'm 5'9 1/4" either I got shorter somehow or I had measured myself wrong all this time by my doctor and me
Don't stress the height issue. Your height doesn't determine your suit size. Your body measurements like chest, shoulders, etc. do. ;)

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I should make sure I'm clear on the suit status. If no alterations have been done yet, NOW is the time to act. Call the store and ask them to suspend the tailoring. Now get yourself there ASAP. Ask the manager to confirm this suit is a best match for your size and build.
I am sorry but IMHO you will have a difficult time getting a refund or exchange after the alterations are completed. Most clothing stores even post this policy somewhere near the point of payment. Therefore you may be forced to prove negligence on their part to get them to violate their refund policy.
Sorry to say, young people don't always get the same level of service as adults.

Last edited:

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
Well a good thing about the suit is it did not restrict chest movement or my breathing... As hearing earlier suits will rise up if you move your arms upward... The sleeves meet right at where afmy hand connects to my wrist and moves almost half way back wards if I move my arm forward and I can fit my hand inside the suit with out stress on the button or the chest it self it. seemed normal to the salemen he measured me everywhere from chest to lower abdomen and waist measurement he said I measured around a 38 inch chest size as I am fit but not athletic fit I'm more thin than actual bulk so it may fit around the right size when I recieve it... Getting a suit is like Russian roulette to me it either fits or it doesn't and the 40r I have has the sleeves go passed my wrist and my knuckles barely meet the waist of the coat the chest also has a huge amount of space if i were to pull it while buttoned from my chest to the point where o can fit a basketball.... That doesn't seem right to me... But on the 38 rev they gave me I have a decent amount of space but it sits closer to ny chest than the 40r.... If only there were a 39 size.. maybe im just being too pessimistic..

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DN, let's put it this way - modern suits don't fit people like vintage suits used to. For every little thing you find wrong, there will be other aspects you might like.

As long as it fits you and isn't entirely restrictive, I suggest wearing the heck out of it. Get used to suits. Find out exactly what fits you and what doesn't. What makes you uncomfortable throughout the day? Or when you see yourself in a reflection, are there bits that look baggy? Just really enjoy the heck out of your suit and don't worry too much.

If you end up liking it, start thrifting for vintage suits, have them tailored the way you like, and wah-lah!

Flat Foot Floey

I am not sure if there really is a big problem with the fit. Maybe their advice was not bad. Many vintage suits also fit close to the body. High armholes were already mentioned but I have to add that they feel "tight" too if you are not used to them.

The main problem is that you felt uncomfortable and thought they were pushy and didn't respect you.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I just had a discussion with my wife about Men's Wearhouse and Joseph A. Bank. I wear a suit nearly every day and when I'm not in a suit, it's at least pants and a sportcoat. I get all the corporate sale,clerance sale,private sale emails and mailings and I go maybe twice a year and stock up on shirts, ties, undershirts, suits, etc. I buy soo many that several stay in the packaging most of the year and only come out when I need a new one. Anyway, one thing I've learned is that the salespeople at these places don't know a thing about clothes or fashion. In fact, I was at JAB yesterday and a woman and her son walked up to me and asked for help. I told them I don't work there and she said "Oh, you're wearing a suit so I just thought you did." I replied "Well, I'm better dressed than the people who work here."

And they are just SOO unhelpful. Or, they are just clueless. Maybe both. I sometimes have a hard time telling colors and therefore matching. So when I was buying two new sportcoats yesterday, I asked "So, black pants with both these jackets, right?" The salesperson hesistated and said "Sure!" And I then said "White shirt also? Or, can a wear a blue shirt under this one?" And he responded with "Umm.. Sure!" I then asked "Well, can I wear the same color blue under both?" He hesitated and said "Yes!"

Seriously, he had NO idea. I could have been way off mark and he would have said "Sure!"

When you join a gym and get a personal trainer, you want him or her to be ripped, right? Then why do we allow these slobs to sell us clothes? Most just look awful.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you could post photos of you wearing the suit (front, side and back) we would have a better idea as to its fit.

IMHO, Mens Wearhouse & Jos A Banks are places you go to for the savings, not the service.
I am off the rack, hem the slacks, that's all. I don't look to those sales folks for fashion/style input.
They try to appear to be "fine mens clothing store" but they are discount places = they are running 2 for 1 specials all the time.
I know they mark up the suits just to have the XX% off or buy 1 get 2 or 3 free....
I restock my suit supply when I see the really good deal = buy 1 at 50% off get 1 free & they are still making profit!!!
I expect a clerk not a consultant at those places & prices....

Adcurium

A-List Customer
IMHO, Mens Wearhouse & Jos A Banks are places you go to for the savings, not the service.
I am off the rack, hem the slacks, that's all. I don't look to those sales folks for fashion/style input.
They try to appear to be "fine mens clothing store" but they are discount places = they are running 2 for 1 specials all the time.
I know they mark up the suits just to have the XX% off or buy 1 get 2 or 3 free....
I restock my suit supply when I see the really good deal = buy 1 at 50% off get 1 free & they are still making profit!!!
I expect a clerk not a consultant at those places & prices....

Well put! But even as clerks, they aren't helpful or friendly. At least not in these parts.

Sometimes, the sales can be confusing. They had a sale yesterday. But with the 'super secret corporate sale coupon', you took the discounts from the regular prices, not the sale prices. So, it took me 10 minutes to figure out if I was better with the sale prices they had listed in the store or the "All suits and sportcoats, buy one 50% off, get the second free, ties 40% off, etc.".

Undertow

Well put! But even as clerks, they aren't helpful or friendly. At least not in these parts.

Sometimes, the sales can be confusing. They had a sale yesterday. But with the 'super secret corporate sale coupon', you took the discounts from the regular prices, not the sale prices. So, it took me 10 minutes to figure out if I was better with the sale prices they had listed in the store or the "All suits and sportcoats, buy one 50% off, get the second free, ties 40% off, etc.".

This has been my experience, too. I've started making it a habit to bring a calculator and leave it in the car. I mentally note the prices they're offering from one sale to another. I go out to my car and give myself a moment to think (without their BS pressure moves), do some math and go back in if it's worth the effort.

It's paid off quite well, too. Picked up two suits at 75% off as opposed to 3 suits at "buy 2 at sale price get 3rd free." The sale price was jacked up so I would have spend about $150 more on the two suits just to get the third free. And the third wasn't all that great looking anyway, and probably not worth the extra $150. [huh]

MisterGrey

Practically Family
After I got laid off last year, I applied at two MW near my house, figuring that I could bring all of the knowledge I've acquired here on the Lounge to the gentlemen of my community. The interviewers seemed more interested in whether I wanted to wanted to make a lifelong career out of being a salesperson for them (the position was 25 hrs a week, minimum wage), visibly reeling when I said that I would like to pursue my MA in about two years.

Then they put me into an on-the-spot sales pitch that they obviously expected would be a parrot of one I'd received a moment before, delivered by a ~19 year old girl obviously delivering a pre-written script. I did the best I could to try and give them what they were obviously looking for whilst simultaneously working in the correct sartorial information. Nearly a month later I received a one-line letter telling me that I was not what MW was looking for in terms of a salesperson. (That's almost verbatim, BTW). The company has very rigid, somewhat incorrect ideas about what constitutes proper menswear, and they're more interested in finding employees who will mindlessly parrot it for years to come.

Undertow

After I got laid off last year, I applied at two MW near my house, figuring that I could bring all of the knowledge I've acquired here on the Lounge to the gentlemen of my community. The interviewers seemed more interested in whether I wanted to wanted to make a lifelong career out of being a salesperson for them (the position was 25 hrs a week, minimum wage), visibly reeling when I said that I would like to pursue my MA in about two years.

Then they put me into an on-the-spot sales pitch that they obviously expected would be a parrot of one I'd received a moment before, delivered by a ~19 year old girl obviously delivering a pre-written script. I did the best I could to try and give them what they were obviously looking for whilst simultaneously working in the correct sartorial information. Nearly a month later I received a one-line letter telling me that I was not what MW was looking for in terms of a salesperson. (That's almost verbatim, BTW). The company has very rigid, somewhat incorrect ideas about what constitutes proper menswear, and they're more interested in finding employees who will mindlessly parrot it for years to come.

That's really unfortunate.

As long as folks are willing to spend very little on menswear, and as long as folks remain ignorant to how suits should fit/look, a place like MWH will thrive. [huh]

It's *not necessarily a bad thing - not everyone needs to wear a suit. It's just too bad that a company whose business is suiting isn't terribly interested in their product.

*edit - added "not", oops!

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's necessarily a bad thing - not everyone needs to wear a suit.

I think everyone needs to own a suit. I fully grasp that a man's job, lifestyle, preferences, etc. may well mean that he will rarely wear a suit, but there are occasions in every life (in non-third world countries, at least) when a suit (or, at the very least, non-denim trousers and a blazer) is called for, and it's a bit disheartening that so many young men seem to reach adulthood without having owned a suit. I'm not one who's inclined to rail about the casual nature of modern life -- that's just the way it is, and I'm basically a live and let live type -- but if I had kids, they would certainly be raised to understand that there will be times when dressing up will be required of them, and I'd make sure they had an inkling of how to do that reasonably well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think everyone needs to own a suit. I fully grasp that a man's job, lifestyle, preferences, etc. may well mean that he will rarely wear a suit, but there are occasions in every life (in non-third world countries, at least) when a suit (or, at the very least, non-denim trousers and a blazer) is called for, and it's a bit disheartening that so many young men seem to reach adulthood without having owned a suit. I'm not one who's inclined to rail about the casual nature of modern life -- that's just the way it is, and I'm basically a live and let live type -- but if I had kids, they would certainly be raised to understand that there will be times when dressing up will be required of them, and I'd make sure they had an inkling of how to do that reasonably well.

Absolutely. All men should own at least one suit and know how to wear it. So many men look as comfortable in a suit as if someone buckled them into a spike-lined coffin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy