Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metal Shoe Shine Foot Rest

fashion frank

One Too Many
Related to this Thread but not exactly ,
Here is the question , how many of you have seen a shoeshine stand like they used to have just about everywhere back in the old days .

I was in an airport in Orlando a few weeks back and saw one but it was
"closed "as in there was no shoeshine guy there and it was all locked up.

I always make it a point to shine whatever pair of shoes that I might be wearing with whatever suit that I pick out for the day.
I can remember seeing shoeshine stands in hotels Bus depot's etc , but I would have to guess that because now a days nobody makes any effort to dress "properly" never mind shined shoes , so because nobody does that any more ,the shoeshine "business" has taken a hit just like just about everything else and has gone away .

I am curious to see if any Forum members who travel a lot have seen them in airports or anywhere for that matter .

Also in closing I'm 57 ,but I can remember a few of my childhood pals who had a shoeshine box like what the Thread Starter was looking for and they would go downtown early on a Saturday morning to catch all of the men who were out running their Saturday errands.

All the Best , Fashion Frank

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Shoe shine stands have certainly not gone away. There are no doubt fewer than there used to be, but in major cities, at least, there are still many of them, usually though not always in shoe repair shops.

We have a couple of threads here in the Lounge that celebrate shoe shines and the men and women who provide that service.

There is a shoeshine stand in the Louisville Airport before the TSA screeners.

There is a shoeshine stand in the lobby of my office building. You can get a shine on the spot, or he'll even pick up your shoes and bring them back later in the day...10 bucks. There are probably a dozen or so around downtown Houston, including a couple in the tunnels (for those of you who don't know, the buildings in downtown Houston are all connected by an elaborate system of tunnels, which include restaurants, shops, professional services, etc. You can walk from one end to the other without having to walk on the surface streets).

Other than that, I almost always get a shine at the airport. There's one in just about every airport, though most of the time you have to get through security first.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You gotta watch these shoeshine guys these days. A lot of them use questionable products containing silicone and such to get a bright shine with a minimum of effort.

DodgerMan

New in Town
I have a guy here in Los Angeles he's been doin shoe shines for a couple years. He's been spit shining my uniform boots and dress shoes for a while now.

He always uses good stuff, and doesn't cheat with those cheap silicone products. I like goin to him instead of dropping them off somewhere because he does a good spit shine while I read the LA Times and watch TV. He goes around to offices too.

His email is shoeshineboyla@yahoo.com if you want a nice spit shine.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I thought about the Moon cast aluminum gas pedal as a foot rest but they only come in rights. If all else fails you might cut one out of bright aluminum checker plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL