Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight blue

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Have you ever actually seen this ilk that you champion? I can't recall ever seeing such, but then at formal events I'm usually focusing on the women and their dresses. [huh]

What is it I'm championing? I'm not arguing for anything.

And I realize that sometimes the color contrast between a blue coat and black lapels may not be so stark. Paddy's pictures illustrate that well. But all of the ones I've seen in person--quite a few--have been much higher contrast.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Orgetorix said:
What is it I'm championing? I'm not arguing for anything.
OK, against something.:rolleyes:

Orgetorix said:
blue cloth and black trimmings, which IMO looks awful.

Again I ask you: Have you ever seen a Blue/Blue in the flesh or even in a photo? I think that I may have seen one at Brioni (Rome) several years ago but I'm hazy on that.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I honestly don't know. I don't think I've seen one in person--but then, like other men here, I'm not normally focused on others' outfits when I'm at a black-tie function. And even if I have seen one, I may not have recognized it as blue--after all, the whole point is that it looks black, right?

I do think I've seen pictures of one on the internet fora, but I can't say for sure.

In any case, though, that's not the point, is it? If someone can find a tailor who has access to midnight blue silk, great! And if blue cloth and black silk can be found that look like the same color, great! All I'm saying is that, failing that, I'd go with an all-black garment before wearing one of the many contrasting pieces I've seen.

The OP evidently differs with me on this, and that's fine. I wish him well, and I'm sure that he'll look far better than the vast majority of the men he's ever likely to meet at a black-tie event.

Clearly one needs to see something to make sure it "looks awful" or better for that matter. :rolleyes: lol lol lol lol lol
Visconde, I am sure whatever you choose in midnight blue will look just fine. No average person will even know the difference---I know it is a sad reality that most people have no idea what formal or semi-formal dress even means today. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: I applaud you for even wanting to know much less taking the step to become one of the tuxedoed James Bonds out there. ;) :eusa_clap

As with everything in the realm of formal wear, it's always posible that some makers are ability to produce this "look" better than others.

In producing the fabric for making the tux it's posible that there is a varience in what is sold as "Midnight Blue" so that some maybe closer to or spot on as to what the true Midnight Blue should be and therefor look better than the others.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Clearly one needs to see something to make sure it "looks awful" or better for that matter. :rolleyes: lol lol lol lol lol

Orgetorix said:
one of the many contrasting pieces I've seen.

I don't need to see a good-looking purple house to know that all the ones in my neighborhood are ugly. I can tell from the ones I have seen that I'd rather my house be blue. Which is not to say it's impossible there could be a purple house somewhere that looks good.

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
That is a good point. You can find vintage tuxedos and tails for very little money---in any style you want---especially the midnight blue with black lapels etc. because people think "it looks bad." ;) :p I have picked up numerous tuxedos (I don't want to even count:eusa_doh: ) because they were so cheap and the sizes were right.

Actually a great point. Before going custom I would take the time to search for a vintage piece. Vintage tuxedos are very affordable. The odds are your tailor is not going to be able to copy the construction of a vintage piece.

Feraud said:
Actually a great point. Before going custom I would take the time to search for a vintage piece. Vintage tuxedos are very affordable. The odds are your tailor is not going to be able to copy the construction of a vintage piece.

And, if it needs tailoring to fit your exact specifications then the low price makes it that much more affordable to alter if necessary. :D

Orgetorix said:
I don't need to see a good-looking purple house to know that all the ones in my neighborhood are ugly. I can tell from the ones I have seen that I'd rather my house be blue. Which is not to say it's impossible there could be a purple house somewhere that looks good.

A purple house is not exactly a midnight blue tuxedo. :rolleyes: lol lol lol
I'll wait for your pictures of this great midnight blue tuxedo with the same color accoutrements. That "blue" house don't hunt. :p

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Ok, here's one example. Midnight blue coat with midnight blue grosgrain facings.

dj.jpg

Much more harmonious than this contrasting example, don't you think?

84977151_10.jpg

Apparently midnight blue grosgrain isn't so impossible to find, after all.

Does this one "hunt," James?

anon`

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
Not really. The first example's bow tie (which appears to me to be black?), floating there by itself in a sea of midnight blue, is far more visually jarring to me than the black lapels (which harmonize nicely with the black bow, IMNSHO) on Mr Craig's jacket.

(Though I will admit that the midnight blue jacket, taken by itself, is fine with matching facings. But not as done up here.)

Visconde

New in Town
Wow, so many responses, thanks for all the help.

To the gentlemen claiming I should buy a vintage dinner jacket:
1. Whatever you say or do, off the rack suits will never ever fit as good as bespoke, impossible, the main reason I never wear it.
2. I'll also never be able to find a dinner jacket with these specifications: I firmly believe all the silk should be of the same cloth. I wouldn't stand having to wear an unmatched bow tie. Finding this jacket-trousers-cummerbund-tie combination in shawl/midnight blue would be the proverbial needle.

The reason I only wear bespoke is because I concur with Mr Brummell on his ideal of beauty. I like to stand out in a crowd not by wearing exuberant clothing but rather by dressing impeccable: everything has to match and be of my own choice. In my eyes a stylish person is noted by wearing only what he desires, randomness should be expelled from a mans dress.

On James bond: It was never my intention to dress like James Bond, the picture was only a reference, it just happened to be an actor who portraits Bond. I was watching Tomorrow Never Dies (the movie in wich Pierce Brosnan wears the midnight blue dinner jacket) and noticed a couple of flaws. His choice of shirt was what really bugged me: the collar was too wide and his buttons were exposed, unmatched tie, etc.

My opinion on the colour of lapel is even stronger after seeing the blue-lapeled picture posted, I absolutely agree with anon' on this one, the bow tie looks out of place.

with kind regards
Visconde

P.S. I apologize if there are any spelling or gramatical errors, english is not my native language, but I try my best.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
anon` said:
Not really. The first example's bow tie (which appears to me to be black?), floating there by itself in a sea of midnight blue, is far more visually jarring to me than the black lapels (which harmonize nicely with the black bow, IMNSHO) on Mr Craig's jacket.

(Though I will admit that the midnight blue jacket, taken by itself, is fine with matching facings. But not as done up here.)

Ok, fair enough. I don't share your opinion, but I can understand it. I do think that if one is going to the trouble of having a midnight dinner jacket made up, it wouldn't be that difficult to get a length of silk from your tailor and send it to one of the companies that do custom bow ties.

Visconde, good luck with your project. I know you'll look great, whatever you do. And your English is every bit as good as most of the native speakers who post here.

anon`

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
Ok, fair enough. I don't share your opinion, but I can understand it. I do think that if one is going to the trouble of having a midnight dinner jacket made up, it wouldn't be that difficult to get a length of silk from your tailor and send it to one of the companies that do custom bow ties.
Yeah, that's true enough. And I might actually prefer the guy in the first pic if the tie looked less black to me; like I say the jacket itself is just fine. I'd be very interested to see that same dinner jacket with a midnight blue tie...

@Visconde~ Regarding vintage dinner jackets (or vintage clothing in general), if you have the option to at least try on some vintage pieces locally, I would strongly recommend it. Although such a piece would not be truly bespoke, you may just find that you can find the fit that you want, in a classic silhouette, with options that you want for much less than bespoke would cost you. The construction and fabric quality of vintage garments alone is worth the price of admission. The age of one's clothes have little to do with their exuberance or randomness. Just a thought =)

Orgetorix said:
Ok, here's one example. Midnight blue coat with midnight blue grosgrain facings.

dj.jpg

84977151_10.jpg

Apparently midnight blue grosgrain isn't so impossible to find, after all.

Does this one "hunt," James?

Nope it doesn't hunt. :p For the same reasons as anon stated and for a few more but the guy in that photo obviously never heard of shirt studs but does seem to know pee wee Herman as those pants are very reminiscent. lol lol
Craig could use some studs as well though. :rolleyes: His pocket square is a bit more in line with the white of the shirt though.
Visconde, you have good taste. Do it exactly as you see fit---just don't end up like Beau Brummel. ;)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Nope it doesn't hunt. :p For the same reasons as anon stated and for a few more but the guy in that photo obviously never heard of shirt studs but does seem to know pee wee Herman as those pants are very reminiscent. lol lol
Craig could use some studs as well though. :rolleyes: His pocket square is a bit more in line with the white of the shirt though.
Visconde, you have good taste. Do it exactly as you see fit---just don't end up like Beau Brummel. ;)

James, apart from the bowtie issue Anon mentioned (which I've addressed already), none of these objections have anything to do with the color issue being discussed in this thread. I posted that photo, as requested, as an example of the midnight/midnight tuxedo which some folks seemed to think didn't exist.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Visconde said:
Wow, so many responses, thanks for all the help.

To the gentlemen claiming I should buy a vintage dinner jacket:
1. Whatever you say or do, off the rack suits will never ever fit as good as bespoke, impossible, the main reason I never wear it.
2. I'll also never be able to find a dinner jacket with these specifications: I firmly believe all the silk should be of the same cloth. I wouldn't stand having to wear an unmatched bow tie. Finding this jacket-trousers-cummerbund-tie combination in shawl/midnight blue would be the proverbial needle.

The reason I only wear bespoke is because I concur with Mr Brummell on his ideal of beauty. I like to stand out in a crowd not by wearing exuberant clothing but rather by dressing impeccable: everything has to match and be of my own choice. In my eyes a stylish person is noted by wearing only what he desires, randomness should be expelled from a mans dress.

On James bond: It was never my intention to dress like James Bond, the picture was only a reference, it just happened to be an actor who portraits Bond. I was watching Tomorrow Never Dies (the movie in wich Pierce Brosnan wears the midnight blue dinner jacket) and noticed a couple of flaws. His choice of shirt was what really bugged me: the collar was too wide and his buttons were exposed, unmatched tie, etc.

My opinion on the colour of lapel is even stronger after seeing the blue-lapeled picture posted, I absolutely agree with anon' on this one, the bow tie looks out of place.

with kind regards
Visconde

P.S. I apologize if there are any spelling or gramatical errors, english is not my native language, but I try my best.

Well, you are right. Bespoke is bespoke. And if you can afford it, great. But if you find yourself financially challenged at some point, or settling for poor quality custom tailoring, there is always vintage to consider.

i dare say, you speak english better than many americans.

Orgetorix said:
James, apart from the bowtie issue Anon mentioned (which I've addressed already), none of these objections have anything to do with the color issue being discussed in this thread. I posted that photo, as requested, as an example of the midnight/midnight tuxedo which some folks seemed to think didn't exist.

Very well then, the color of the lapels lacks the contrast and pop that the midnight blue with the black lapels does--even if it does have a midnight blue tie to match. The all MD tuxedo is shown in daylight which also might have something to do with the way it looks but in artificial light it would look strange next to a black tuxedo or even one in MB with black lapels.
In short, the lapels are not supposed to match. Even in the all black tuxedo it doesn't match texture or color---if it did it would simply be a suit. The same is true of the MB. The accents are supposed to be different.
It all depends on what you like though. I'll take accents over matching. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24