Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight blue

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Scott, is the weave so very subtle you have to look closely to truly make it out, and does the wool almost appear to be of a very fine wool crepe finish? The black vintage bespoke grosgrain peak lapel DB dated 1937 my bf Tom just got has a weave that sounds very much like yours.

This one was brought out for a try-on by the vintage dealer after a few tux jackets had already been tried on, and as I continued to look at over I kept saying, "look at that, and look at THAT...":)

I have a midnight blue dinner suit with a faint herringbone weave (you have to look closely to see it)

Also be sure to see the extensive and excellent )

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My Bf already wants to wear the WWII vintage midnight blue tuxedo to an dinner and dancing event we had thought of going to on Oct 20th. Since the tuxedo is very William Powell, he's says going to start growing a (pencil) moustache ala' Mr. Powell. We started watching the first Thin Man film again just last night...He said I can help him by shaving (and trimming) the moustache to get it right.

The dance event is optional halloween theme, so he and I (me in my vintage 40s evening gown and mink stole) are going as the 1940s version of Nick and Nora Charles. They were of course a bit older by the end of the series, as are we.

Actually, I think my Tom looks a bit more like (albeit a slightly older) Don Ameche. But William Powell will do!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The vintage dealer Roberto that my sweetie Tom bought his midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo from told us that William Powell wears one in a Thin Man film. Here is a little clip, this is a great scene in the series. You actually see it better just before this clip, as he and Myrna (and Asta too) enter "Mario's Grotto":

[video=youtube;cGnhoqN1Tf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGnhoqN1Tf0[/video]

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
from 10/20- my sweetheart Tom as Nick Charles- this vintage midnight blue tuxedo is from the early 1940s
IMG_8645.jpg

IMG_8646.jpg

this last pic somehow had the flash too bright but it picked up the blue color well
IMG_8649-1.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
another pic of my sweetheart Tom's midnight blue tuxedo, tried to play with iPhoto a bit to correct the too much flash-
IMG_8648-2.jpg

better colourization than the previous posting, but gosh I hate red-eye with digital camera-aargh..
IMG_8649-2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24