Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mike Wallace Interviews

Lenah

New in Town
I just found this site, with Mike Wallace Interviews from 1957 to 1960. I started with Gloria Swanson (done in 1957), and so much of what she said resonated with me - today in 2009!

- do-it-yourself society
- lack of time for each other
- chasing the dollar
- romance has no age, but that counts only for men, nowadays it is only for young women
- difference between europe and america in values (don't mean to start anything here, I just agree that there is a subtle difference, from what I've noticed...)

For some reason, when she said that as a child, her first ambition was to be a grown up, I had to re-read, and listen to it again. There is so much said in that simple, innocent sentence, which for me is hard to put into words.

Her elegance, poise, grace, quietness, not putting anyone down, in spite of pointed tough questions, was beautiful. Holding flowers in her hands - small, elegant details. It was pleasant watching her do an interview, and it reminded me of when I was a child, and beauty to me was not make-up, hair and fake boobs a la Bratz, but it was the way a woman carried herself and treated herself. Beauty was being grown-up, and being a woman.
The way she treated others, the way she spoke, the way she moved, her style would set her apart. The atmosphere she created around her. She didn't have to have a pretty face, but a great character and personality, and people would still consider her a "beauty".

That interview to me, is one of the many examples (not one of the best, but a start) of why I love previous eras.

Mike Wallace doing ads - like a cigarette ad for Philip Morris, for a "manly" length cigarette - during the interview seems pretty surreal to me now, though...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Thanks for the link.

I wish they had included his infamous interview with mobster Mickey Cohen. They probably burned that kinescope the next day. lol

As to MW's tobacco pitch; Early TV had some weird rules for commercials.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I saw her once on Merv Griffin, and a great interview with her by the great Canadian TV journalist, Pierre Berton. Smart, wise fascinating woman.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
As to MW's tobacco pitch; Early TV had some weird rules for commercials.

There were no rules (and there really arent any today)..Newspersons regularly did commercials for products that sponsored their shows. Thankfully, journalists stopped doing that for the most part but you still see some of those on the fridge hawking stuff.

Wallace used to be half entertainment and half newsman. He did a morning show that was a precursor to "Regis and Kelly." It was after his son died in a climbing accident that he decided to dedicate himself to serious journalism. It was a great gain for the public because he went on to do amazing interviews. We need more Mike Wallaces today. His autobiography "Close Encounters" is a GREAT read!

Lenah

New in Town
dhermann1 said:
I saw her once on Merv Griffin, and a great interview with her by the great Canadian TV journalist, Pierre Berton. Smart, wise fascinating woman.
I've always thought her stunning, but I never heard or watched an interview with her. Mike was tough - I cringed at some of the questions he asked! I was really impressed by her self-awareness about her role as an actress in Hollywood, and the roles she played... Most would have tried to upsell themselves I think.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
There were no rules
Practices would have been a better choice of words. In the early days sponsors and ad agencies ran the airwaves, networks merely sold airtime. At Least that's what Bruce DuMont told me over the course of a multi-hour scotch soaked dinner.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Practices would have been a better choice of words. In the early days sponsors and ad agencies ran the airwaves, networks merely sold airtime. At Least that's what Bruce DuMont told me over the course of a multi-hour scotch soaked dinner.

Very true - Mad Men shows us that every week. Those practices even drove Ed Murrow out of the business. Back then smart people were made to do dumb things...today is dumb people trying to be made to do smart things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany