Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

RBH

Bartender
Lexybeast said:
I'm not sure about other brands, but the finish they put on the Biltmore leaves it like a hardhat. I've worn it during moderately heavy rains in China, and completely soaked it before. It doesn't lose its shape whatsoever. I can wear the thing in a pool and not have to worry.

3706609890_b2d9d22a99.jpg

I got this one maybe two and a half years ago, so I'm not sure how they're making them at the moment. Not my prettiest hat, but when I want a low maintenance, worry-free hat, I can't beat it.
:D
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Great hat!!!!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
Would you argue with someone wearing her make-up like that? :p

I know that there have been recent statements about backward pugs but, having no other hats with pugs, are they properly worn "pointing" back, or is that just a preference?

I guess it really doesn't matter Lefty, but every one I own (about 6 or 7), has it pointing backwards, opposite of yours. [huh]

Lexy, super shot you have there. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

babs

A-List Customer

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
New Dobbs Bishop

Ok, after searching for a vintage milan, with no success, I tried out some of Biltmore's milans through Hats Plus. Great customer service and they fully refunded my $$$ when the Biltmores didn't work (of course, I was out the cost of shipping, but those are the breaks with online retailers, unfortunately).

Then, passing through Santa Barbara, I stopped at a shop on State Street that had some modern Stetsons in the window. The shop--The Green & Yellow Basket, at 911 State Street--had modern Stetsons, Dobbs, Bailey, and others. A mom and pop store, not a chain like Village Hat Shop, the owners were great, knowledgable, and helpful--worth a stop if you are in the area. They also expressed a desire to get some Akubras in the shop soon.

I tried on a few milans and came across this Dobbs Bishop...unlike my Miller/Biltmore wide brim milan weave, which is as stiff as Lexybeast says his is, the Dobbs has much more play in it, although the snap brim is fairly rigid. But I liked the shape and style of it...I just didn't like the natural colored puggaree it featured, which made the whole thing too bland. So, I discovered Shushan's hats online--a source of some decent pugs. (http://www.shushans.com/sixthpage.html) Got this paisley version and now I have a short-brimmed (2 1/8") telescope milan. Yeah, I know it's probably not the best straw (if it even can be called straw), but it's working for me for summer until I come across a vintage milan to call my own.
P1010002-2.jpg

P1010001-4.jpg

P1010002-3.jpg

It was hot...I'm not sure my hound dog wanted her picture taken...

babs

A-List Customer
Better pics I took of the milan Dobbs:
DSCN0750.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0746.jpg

1st straw.. wore it a little outside in the sun yesterday and I can see the benefit (as a new hat wearer).. Keeps the sun out of your eyes, even in a stingy, and surprisingly cool.

RBH

Bartender
jazzncocktails said:
...unlike my Miller/Biltmore wide brim milan weave, which is as stiff as Lexybeast says his is, the Dobbs has much more play in it, although the snap brim is fairly rigid. ...

My Miller cocoa and pearl grey are not the least bit stiff. Although they hold their shape very well.
BUT my Miller natural milan is as stiff as what I think you speak of, but its a nice hat that I regularly wear. I really like the shape and style of these hats.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
RBH said:
My Miller cocoa and pearl grey are not the least bit stiff. Although they hold their shape very well.
BUT my Miller natural milan is as stiff as what I think you speak of, but its a nice hat that I regularly wear. I really like the shape and style of these hats.
Agreed, RBH--my Miller (the Danville in cocoa) is my all-around summer hat...the crown is stiff, but the 3" brim is fairly loose now, not quite floppy. I'm pretty pleased with it, too.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Puggaree Hooks?

This is a bit off topic but I'd like to tinker with making some pugs, for my Milan and pseudo Milan hats, out of old neckties (for example) and I'm wondering where I can buy the hooks that many pugs come with. I've googled and found a lot of hat supply vendors with lots of pugs but so far no hooks.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Boodles said:
This is a bit off topic but I'd like to tinker with making some pugs, for my Milan and pseudo Milan hats, out of old neckties (for example) and I'm wondering where I can buy the hooks that many pugs come with. I've googled and found a lot of hat supply vendors with lots of pugs but so far no hooks.
Boodles, could you list those "hat supply vendors with lots of pugs" here, perhaps with links to their sites? I found it difficult to find pugs online...the link I provide above to Shushan's was really the only one I found with any variety.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Milan

I have learned something today. FL-ers may recall my story about finding two Dobbs Rogue straws at a thrift store. Each set me back a stunning $2.50. The weave on those hats is the Milan variety.
Thanks, guys!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Just posted this in the 'hat today' thread.

My Dobbs milan.

001usd.jpg

Man, Rusty, that Dobbs looks great! And that shirt! I'm gonna have to look for a shirt like that.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
1954Stetson.jpg

Thought I might help someone out who might have this hat date it.
1954 Stetson Milan. I love the centerline crease on the crown. :D
Very nice--thanks for posting that ad!

And great Dobbs Milan, Rusty--that ribbon is fantastic with that natural straw color.
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR