Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

TES

New in Town
Wow. Thanks to all on this thread for showing so many nice pics of this underrepresented hat. I've already looked up Levine Hat Co. in St. Louis for Newmexexpat's hat, couldn't find it there...but that one is really neat.

What a wonderful solution for both heat and humidity when, at this time of year, at least where I live ( a sweltering corner of Galveston Bay ), nothing suffices that still has any style. By mid-July you really can't wear a Panama that isn't open weave, unless you're just moving quickly from one climate controlled environment to another, until September. And when things are really bad no hat other than some kind of visor works when you're outside for a lengthy period; otherwise you spend as much time wiping sweat from your brow as you do just wearing it. I need one of these.

Oh and, Billysmom,you say the same thing in your sign off as we do down here, about your sister city !

billysmom

One Too Many
Dallas - off topic

[/QUOTE]Oh and, Billysmom,you say the same thing in your sign off as we do down here, about your sister city ![/QUOTE]
:eek:fftopic:​

It's the tag line from our favorite local barbeque joint. As the late, great Amon Carter used to say, "Fort Worth is where the West begins and Dallas is where the East peters out." So true.

Sue

Boodles

A-List Customer
Pugs for Milan Hats - Vendors

jazzncocktails said:
Boodles, could you list those "hat supply vendors with lots of pugs" here, perhaps with links to their sites? I found it difficult to find pugs online...the link I provide above to Shushan's was really the only one I found with any variety.

Jazz, I'll have to go back and look, unfortunately I didn't make a list of the retailers. I did, however, follow your link to Shushan's and ordered up 4 of the pugs offered and have received them already. All 4 are printed, as opposed to solid color, and I could not be happier with them. As I recall the prices were in the $7 to $12 USD plus a few bucks for shipping. I'll try to get a photo or two of my Disney Milan and the Stetson which, except for the pug color, looks like the one shown in jamespowers photo. My problem with the photos is that I can't seem to get the photo size any larger than a thumbnail!

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Boodles said:
Jazz, I'll have to go back and look, unfortunately I didn't make a list of the retailers. I did, however, follow your link to Shushan's and ordered up 4 of the pugs offered and have received them already. All 4 are printed, as opposed to solid color, and I could not be happier with them. As I recall the prices were in the $7 to $12 USD plus a few bucks for shipping. I'll try to get a photo or two of my Disney Milan and the Stetson which, except for the pug color, looks like the one shown in jamespowers photo. My problem with the photos is that I can't seem to get the photo size any larger than a thumbnail!
Very cool, Boodles. I found Shushan's customer service and quick shipping fantastic...and they had the widest variety of pugs I could find. And they've added some new ones since I was on the site, including some cool geometrics. Might have to make another purchase...try posting those photos!

billysmom

One Too Many
Stetson Premier

This one must have some stories to tell! I bought it from an eBay seller in Southsea, England. But its sweatband shows that it was sold from the Harris Company in San Bernardino-Riverside, CA. The pug material is quite friable - either from age or exposure.

It was crammed into a small box and the layers of straw were flaccid and collapsed into themselves. Sorry, no before shots :eusa_doh: But a couple of shots of steam brought it back into shape.

It's a grand old hat and I'm looking forward to taking it on many outings!

Sue
StetsonMilan1-1.jpg

StetsonMilansweat1.jpg

StetsonMilansweat2.jpg

StetsonMilantag.jpg

StetsonMilan2-1.jpg
[/CENTER]

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
1954Stetson.jpg

Thought I might help someone out who might have this hat date it.
1954 Stetson Milan. I love the centerline crease on the crown. :D

Very similar to the hat I sold to Boodles a little while back...the ribbon on that one was a little louder, though.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Boodles said:

Wasn't it a Knox? Or do you have another one like it?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
OhMyGoodnessGraciousMe!!! I can't stand it- I just realized there is a Milan thread on FL(heart fluttering)??

It was bad enough seeing an occasional Milan slipping in on the "What Hat are you wearing today?" thread... I started at the beginning here and am wiped out already just seeing those from GWD on post#3.

I can't take seeing the rest... I must remove myself... oh no... even billysmom has one... wait, there is RBH looking so handsome wearing his Dobbs... and those vintage ads too...

You're all killing me!! AHHHH, its tooo much... all of these gorgeous Milans... (FL lady now on the floor typing, having fallen out of the computer chair)...

Okay, so I'll have to look at this thread further another time when I have my strength up!;)

Boodles

A-List Customer
With my dunce cap on Mr Chiliarches

Chiliarches said:
Wasn't it a Knox? Or do you have another one like it?

I confess that you are correct. The hat you sold me is, indeed, a Knox. But, as I look at the Stetson ad, to my way of thinking, my Knox and the Stetson came off the same mold. I also have sort of natural (wheat) Disney, which is labeled as "Genuine Milan" and looks genuine, which also looks to have been shaped on the same mold. This shape has become a favorite of mine. The Knox reads Knox Milan but I suspect that it's pseudo Milan.

When I first got the Knox from you, because of the pug which was sort of hard for me to warm up to, I didn't quite know how I would actually wear the thing. Thanks to Mr Jazzncocktails putting onto Shushan's, I obtained a number of pugs to use with the gray Knox and my wheat colored Disney.
I could not be happier with either hat. I am quite happy that you were not keen on the Knox.

How on earth do you post photos which are large enough to see? Mine are always about 1-1/2" square. I'm using Photobucket.

billysmom

One Too Many
Hey, chanteuseCarey -

Come on in and joint the maniacs! These little lids have an addicting texture - kind of crunchy, but soft at the same time. They adapt to so many situations. Nobody should have just one!!!!

Sue

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
Hey, chanteuseCarey -

Come on in and joint the maniacs! These little lids have an addicting texture - kind of crunchy, but soft at the same time. They adapt to so many situations. Nobody should have just one!!!!

Sue

They're like Lay's Potato chips...though I know that analogy has been overused here at times...:eusa_doh:

billysmom

One Too Many
Three and counting ...

I'm truly a Milan Maniac. Here are my 3: Knox, Cavanagh, Stetson Premier.
MilanTrio1.jpg

MilanTrio2.jpg

There's just no stopping. I need an intervention! They're each uniquely special.

Sue

billysmom said:
I'm truly a Milan Maniac. Here are my 3: Knox, Cavanagh, Stetson Premier.
MilanTrio1.jpg

MilanTrio2.jpg

There's just no stopping. I need an intervention! They're each uniquely special.

Sue

It is even more a predilection when you remember your grandfather wearing one of them every where he would go. My grandmother always used to get after him about wearing that old milan hat when he had brand new ones in the box.
The consolation prize is that my wife likes my milans. Now my son has two---or is it three or four? ;) :p

Spats McGee

One Too Many
billysmom said:

Sue
Sorry, Sue. You've come to the wrong place for an intervention.

On a different note, I love that butcher block! Is there a story behind that?

vonwotan

Practically Family
New from Optimo

A bit late in the season for this year but, here's a new Milan from Graham at Optimo.

3845621366_915e6a537c_o.jpg

3844830733_d208f5f620_o.jpg

I love the golden brown color of the Milan and the subtle flourish of the pleated ribbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran