Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

RBH

Bartender
Lexybeast said:
Lefty, which RBH/Miller hat is it that you're talking about?
Maybe this one....

002rev.jpg

123456orm.jpg

012ofa.jpg

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Mr E Train said:
The Dobbs or the Pinzano? The Dobbs I ordered from The Hat Company in Las Vegas (http://www.thehatco.com) just a couple days ago, and it hasn't had time to come in yet. I didn't know anything about that company, but it looks like they're one of those places like the Village Hat Shop or Berkeley Hats that offers a few nice hats and then a whole bunch of cheap crap for the tourist trade. I've ordered from those places a few times, though, and they always did me right as far as prices and shipping times, so I'm hoping The Hat Company will be in the same caliber. The price was right. I think it's going to have a cloth sweatband, so keep that in mind. The Dobbs Souls I've seen that sell for $90 or so, like at The Fedora Store, they have a grosgrain ribbon with a bow, unlike this one that has a puggaree. Other ones I've seen closer to this price point, they have pugs and are usually listed as having a cloth sweatband, or else it doesn't specify. I like the look of a pug on a hat like this, though, and I'll probably replace it with a little fancier one anyway. I'd rather have a leather sweatband, but I'm not going to order it from The Fedora Store and wait 4 to 6 weeks and then find out that the leather's not good. I'd rather make do with cloth and have a good leather sweatband installed later if the hat seems like a keeper.

Just in case this is the one you meant, I ordered the Pinzano from The Hat Guys (http://hatguys.com) in Oakland, Ca. They also did right by me. I called to confirm my order because I didn't get an email confirmation within a few hours, and the guy who does web orders wasn't available at the moment, so they told me he would call me back, which he did just a few minutes later. They couldn't have been nicer, especially considering that I was just buying a relatively inexpensive hat.

Thank you very much for the info. Looks like you got lucky with the Pinzano; I can't find it any where on the Hat Guys web site. Found some on Dad's Hats (on Backorder of course), Brim and Crown, and Penners. All for more $$ than what you paid. I'll have to keep my eyes open. Nice hats!!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Mikey P, I forgot that Falkoff's has the Dobbs Soul for $55, but they only have grey. I would have ordered it from them, but I needed 2XL and they were sold out of those.

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Ah, ok, thanks again. Falkoff's seems to have some good prices.

I think I blew my hat budget for a while, I have a fawn Capricorn coming in, but next is a Milan!!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Got Soul?

I have.

dobbssoulside.jpg

The Dobbs Soul, which just came in today.

dobbssoulfront.jpg

Interesting color that I think is pretty nifty, Pearl Grey. It didn't specify whether it had a leather or cloth sweatband when I ordered it, but I figured at that price point it would be cloth, and I was right. However, it is the nicest feeling cloth sweatband I've ever felt, very cushy, not that paper-thin, rough-feeling stuff.

dobbssoulinside.jpg

So if you see them online for between $55 and $65 with a puggaree, undoubtedly it will have a cloth sweat. If it's in the $90 range it'll more than likely have a grosgrain ribbon with a bow and a leather sweatband, which I suppose is their upper line version. For the $61 I paid, I'm not complaining. It's comfortable as can be, and looks nice.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Thanks, RBH. The brim is 2 1/4 inches (just a hair over that at the sides), the crown is 5 inches at its highest, and a little over 4 inches at the center crease. It looks like there are quite a few Dobbs models that have the same dimensions and shape, just different colors and appointments.

Quick noggin shot with a camera phone in poor light. It came out looking sort of beige.

dobbssoulnoggin.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
RBH said:
Thanks, I like at least a 2 1\2 brim but Dobbs seem to be one of the few straws now that have high crowns.
That was what first caught my eye with the Arcadia.

I wanted an Arcadia, but I couldn't find one in the right size and the right color. The Soul looks like it's about the same shape and crown height, just with a slightly narrower brim. It doesn't feel like a 2 1/4" brim to me; it feels more like 2 3/8". When I measured it it was in between, like 2 5/16". Does your Arcadia have a leather sweat or cloth?

Arkie773/4

New in Town
What a great hat! A few month back I pestered Miller Hats trying to get one of their Open Roadesque w/cattleman's crease Milan hats they called the "LBJ". It is no longer on the website. It had a norrow brwon ribbon too. I think it looks great with the straw that color. I don't want to start any fights, but I might swipe your formula and get one for myself. It seems that narrow ribbon Milans are hard to find. I would think it a better summer hat than my Straw Stetson OR.
Joe

RBH said:
Maybe this one....

002rev.jpg

123456orm.jpg

012ofa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto