Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

Mystic

Practically Family
Info on milans that I found and put in another thread:

Here's an ftc case discussing the history, labeling and adulteration of milans.
http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/311/311.F2d.358.6008_1.html

This is from an old millenery book.
http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/22-m/m-03.html
http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/28-mhd/mhd-03.html

According to all reputable sources on this site, Optimo, where I purchased my milan is the only place left in the western hemisphere where a new, genuine milan can be purchased. Milan is just a method of braiding wheat. Any new "milan" is going to be mostly paper and plastic. It is unclear when the adulteration began. This is a topic that deserves much more research.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037-1.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

A new question about an old post....

I now understand that Milan is the type of weave. I saw a Dobbs Milan with "Imported Venetian Straw" imprinted on the sweatband.
What kind of straw is Venetian straw and does this being on the sweatband have any indication of a time frame for dating the hat?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I've always been under the impression that Milan straw is a kind of wheat straw harvested from Italy originally, but now probably globally. It wouldn't be hard to believe that Venetian straw is basically the same thing. But I don't think it has to do with the weave itself. The material is very different in feel and appearance than "Panama."

Am I mistaken?

I prefer my Milans to my Panamas without a blink, although I have yet to experience a fine Panama.

Mystic

Practically Family
I've always been under the impression that Milan straw is a kind of wheat straw harvested from Italy originally, but now probably globally. It wouldn't be hard to believe that Venetian straw is basically the same thing. But I don't think it has to do with the weave itself. The material is very different in feel and appearance than "Panama."

Am I mistaken?

I prefer my Milans to my Panamas without a blink, although I have yet to experience a fine Panama.

It seems to me from doing some reading on various sites that "Milan" in indeed a wheat straw from an area in China that used to produce , I guess still do, some of the best straw hats in the world mainly because of the preperation of the straw and the attention to detail while weaving the hats....and the golden color of the straw.

Somehow somewhere along the way the name "Milan" got hi-jacked by others in the hat making industry to benefit from the reputation that "Milan hats" had aquired.

As far as I can tell..."Milan" has become known as a 'style' of weave....a 'style of hat' while not having to be made of Milan straw.

Maybe I have gotten the wrong understanding on this...

I suppose Venetian straw is about the same as Milan straw, just from a different area. But, I still don't know if it could be used to give a time frame on a Dobbs hat or any other hat for that matter.

I'm not a hat addict, hat collector, hat historian or even a very good student.....so if anyone can clarify this it would be appreciated.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
First Milan

I've never bought a Milan before. It was hard for me to find one I liked at the price I wanted to pay. I finally got this one off ebay. A Saks Fifth Ave. in unworn condition. Not as nice as some of the others I've seen in this thread but a decent one with a brim size I like and the hat band really adds to it.

DSCN0649.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0652.jpg

DSCN0651-1.jpg

fedoralover

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've just ordered a custom milan from Peters Bros. My specs:

Open Road style, w/ cattleman crease, 4.25" at front of crown, 5" at the highest point
2 3/8" snap brim
Medium (what they call "Indy") brown, w/ matching thin ribbon
Medium stiffener (Karen suggested this, as the hats start out sort of "loose" rather than firm)

I figure if I have to wear a straw for so much of the year, and I do, it might as well be one i like looking at and wearing. Anybody done this recently? How long did it take to get it?

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
just a question: whats different between milan hats and panama's hats?
I say, there any particular reasons to wear one or the other hat?
Is only a choise reason, economic reason,I have not any milan hat, I'm from Sicily (Italy) in summer there are 30/40°C....
What do you think about milan hat here?
Many Thanks.
God bless you.

Riccardo.

BR Gordon

One Too Many

I've never worn or even handled a Milan. Can some explain to me the practical differences between a Milan and a panama hat. Is one more comfortable or more durable than the other, or is it just personal preferences for the appearance?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I only found out what a Milan was last week, now I own one. Hatman Jack in Wichita KS on Douglas street had one on sale for 50% off the $70.00 price tag. I kind of figured that after I tried it on 8 or 9 times, I may as well just keep it.

Top view showing the crease:
Olive_Milan_Top_Post.jpg

Side view showing the Pugaree:
Olive_Milan_Side_Post.jpg

Front view:
Olive_Milan_Front_Post.jpg

I haven't even worn this sucker anywhere yet. It's not as substantial as my Sun Body's, but it's nice and light. I would have liked to get one of Peter's brothers custom jobs in a tan, with a nice dark brown Pugaree, but hey for $37.00 including tax, I ain't whining.

Later Y'all

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi

I only found out what a Milan was last week, not I own one. Hatman Jack in Wichita KS on Douglas street had one on sale for 50% off the $70.00 price tag. I kind of figured that after I tried it on 8 or 9 times, I may as well just keep it.

Olive_Milan_Top_Post.jpg

Front view:

I haven't even worn this sucker anywhere yet. It's not as substantial as my Sun Body's, but it's nice and light. I would have liked to get one of Peter's brothers custom jobs in a tan, with a nice dark brown Pugaree, but hey for $37.00 including tax, I ain't whining.

Later Y'all

You got a real bargain on your hats. I own a few Milans, you will like them in the warmer weather. Very nice hats for sure!

Mystic

Practically Family
Hi

I only found out what a Milan was last week, not I own one. Hatman Jack in Wichita KS on Douglas street had one on sale for 50% off the $70.00 price tag. I kind of figured that after I tried it on 8 or 9 times, I may as well just keep it.

Olive_Milan_Top_Post.jpg

Front view:

Later Y'all

Nice looking Milan.....I think once you begin to wear it and get used to making it work with your clothes in the spring and summer, you'll appreciate and like the look.

I have 6 Milans.......I'm in Florida..... most from eBay, I look for older Milans that say 'Geniune Milan' on the hat. I have 1 Dobbs Milan that is probably my best fitting hat.
I actually prefer Milans over Panamas...

Just got a Stetson Milan, delivered this morning from eBay. Low price, fits ok, will be cool this summer and I don't worry about wearing it or watching out for it as I do the 2 panamas I have.

It's a medium brown color with a conservative stripe hat band that is just one more choice I have to wear this summer.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

The colors in my new hat match my earth tone wardrobe. I work in aerospace, where we used to wear white shirt, tie, and no jacket. In around 1995, we went to golf clothes. I don't golf so I ended up with a dozen or so canvas shirts with two button close pockets. I have several in Khaki and several pair of olive drab khaki pants. I think the hat MIGHT go well with them.

later

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I've never worn or even handled a Milan. Can some explain to me the practical differences between a Milan and a panama hat. Is one more comfortable or more durable than the other, or is it just personal preferences for the appearance?

I guess it's safe to say that a high count Montecristi with no additional stiffener is softer than a high-quality Milan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy