Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks, guys. I'm rather amazed at how much difference a relatively small change in the crease makes. Navarre, I bought the pug from Shushan. The original pug was very brown so I bought one that had the taupe color of the hat in it. There isn't much of the original hat left. Only the milan straw itself. I cleaned it and "pugged" it. Optimo made it a little more contemporary. I haven't done terribly well with vintage hats on Ebay. This one and the Rogers Peet milan below are probably the best I've received.

peet.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Catching up on sharing a few hats today that I've only now had the time to clean and photograph. A very reasonable BIN listing that was tipped my way by another Lounge friend. Looks like it might have had a maker liner in the crown, now gone... it was sold through the Bon Marche in Seattle - union label behind the sweat. It is very similar to my gray Knox Fifteen Milan but in an easier to wear tobacco tone.

milan050811_2.jpg

milan050811_1.jpg

It is a beauty. The telescope crown is a classic with milans and suits them really well. Is that the original pug?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is probably my favorite photo of Sinatra in one of his famous straws. Having Grace Kelly in the shot doesn't hurt.
tumblr_ldn4urR4Mv1qzzzy9o1_1280.jpg

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Took a chance and invested in a black Miller Milan!

The incessant Southern California heat handicaps any sense of fashion, so straw is undeniably the best (only) way to go. I always fantasized about a fedora in "black straw", but had no idea where it might it exist (if it all). But thanks to a fellow Lounger, it was discovered on Miller Hats.

Allow me to be straight-forward and say that this hat has exceeded all expectations. It's an absolute work of art. I was expecting a soft straw, but this is more like woven lace! It's really hard to describe in words, so I'll have to post pics.

The only minor gripe I have about this hat is the bow. There's just nothing "elegant" about it, and it really clashes with the high-quality of the rest of the hat. If I ever get over to Optimo Hatworks I might have them put a different ribbon on for me.

Do you think the brim needs reshaping? The snap is pretty crunchy.

Perfect for stylin' in the So.Cal. heat. (at least up to 75 degress) :cool:

I'd like to thank my fellow loungers for helping me discover this rare find. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
This is probably my favorite photo of Sinatra in one of his famous straws. Having Grace Kelly in the shot doesn't hurt.

tumblr_ldn4urR4Mv1qzzzy9o1_1280.jpg

I love that shot, too, Lefty. I just bought a WONDERFUL dark brown Milan from that period. Cost me plenty of shekels, but I just couldn't pass it by. Now it needs to go off to a hatter to be slightly upsized and sweatband replaced.

EDIT: Dead ringer for this one except with a navy pug. (*Supernatural* - Ecuadorian Panama Hat Co., NY) $10.00 price tag behind the sweat.

milan050811_1.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks, Wojo, good see yet another Hoosier on the forum. Milans in good condition show up on Ebay regularly. Pick one you like and let Optimo rework it. The hat itself was about $25 if I remember right and Optimo's work was $55. Since you can't buy new real wheat straw Milan hats anymore, that is about the only way to go.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Not all hatters will work on straw but Optimo certainly will. I sent them a nice Stetson Milan that had what I considered a disagreeable crease. It was simply too tall in the crown for my preference. I was considering dumping the hat despite buying a new pug for it. Instead I sent it to Optimo for a reblocking. It also got a new sweat band. I now consider the hat not just wearable but downright likeable.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

I have the Sinatra porkpie in a 61 which is a tad loose and frankly it is too tall and not a great style for me. I was thinking of having Optimo rework it to a more Fedora style like that famous one Lefty bought at Optimo. Or maybe like Alan's

knox_milan1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner