Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

Tiller

Practically Family
Well done fmw! One of these days I'm going to actually win a a vintage Milan 7 1/2 that actually fits me! lol More then once I've won a "7 1/2" only to find out once it got here that it was really a 7 3/8 or 7 1/4.

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
My Resistol Milan to add to the family here

217242_1639906402942_1395261571_31331303_2985560_n.jpg

208820_1639904722900_1395261571_31331299_5952267_n.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I just got the three Milans in the middle row: Stetson Medalist, Dobbs, and Bond.
14mt4i8.jpg

Nice hatrack, flyfish, and who needs to go upstairs anyway?

ThaBeak, nice Resistol there; looks to be in great condition. The heptagonal satin must be particular to milans. (?)

Fmw, great work on that! After reading the description of what it went through, I expected something other than a well-ordered lid. Looks like a go-to summer friend. :)

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
Randooch, yes its in particularly nice shape I think. Nice supple sweat, no cracks or creases in the straw, no popped stitches anywhere, and not a moth bite to be found ;) It has a faint tobacco odor, but that will fade with wear.

I was wondering the same thing about the satin, I've seen that shape on lots of brands in this thread.

here's a semi profile:

215787_1639906242938_1395261571_31331302_4662166_n.jpg

I have since given it some steam and gotten the brim to behave and gave the crown a center dome ( I hate it when a hat rests on the top of my head)

Last edited:

flyfishark

Practically Family
Nice hatrack, flyfish, and who needs to go upstairs anyway?

ThaBeak, nice Resistol there; looks to be in great condition. The heptagonal satin must be particular to milans. (?)

Fmw, great work on that! After reading the description of what it went through, I expected something other than a well-ordered lid. Looks like a go-to summer friend. :)

If you think the stairs are bad, you should see the guest bed--15 pairs of vintage shoes. Do I have a great wife or what?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Randooch, yes its in particularly nice shape I think. Nice supple sweat, no cracks or creases in the straw, no popped stitches anywhere, and not a moth bite to be found ;) It has a faint tobacco odor, but that will fade with wear.

I was wondering the same thing about the satin, I've seen that shape on lots of brands in this thread.

here's a semi profile:

215787_1639906242938_1395261571_31331302_4662166_n.jpg

I have since given it some steam and gotten the brim to behave and gave the crown a center dome ( I hate it when a hat rests on the top of my head)

Great hat!

Alan, that milan looks great!
I like the pug.. but has the hat faded and is the color darker under the ribbon?

Thanks RBH... the straw is the same inside and out - the pug is slightly darker on the hidden side, could be the variance in the reverse side of the fabric or a little fade perhaps. Still the brightest green in my wardrobe!

fmw

One Too Many
A change of pugs can make all the difference. My taupe colored Stetson milan came from an ebay sale with a filthy pug. I put a brown one I had laying around for the first picture below. Then I ordered something that coordinated properly with it and maintained the vintage style of the hat. That image is below. What do you think?

brownmilann.jpg

brownmilan.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks. I ordered it from Shushan in New Orleans. They have the best selection I've found on the web.

fmw

One Too Many
If they had had a taupe colored solid, I might have tried it. I got this one and it is wife approved. ;)

The Bon Marche Milan - unkown maker

Catching up on sharing a few hats today that I've only now had the time to clean and photograph. A very reasonable BIN listing that was tipped my way by another Lounge friend. Looks like it might have had a maker liner in the crown, now gone... it was sold through the Bon Marche in Seattle - union label behind the sweat. It is very similar to my gray Knox Fifteen Milan but in an easier to wear tobacco tone.

milan050811_2.jpg

milan050811_1.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Not all hatters will work on straw but Optimo certainly will. I sent them a nice Stetson Milan that had what I considered a disagreeable crease. It was simply too tall in the crown for my preference. I was considering dumping the hat despite buying a new pug for it. Instead I sent it to Optimo for a reblocking. It also got a new sweat band. I now consider the hat not just wearable but downright likeable.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner