Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Headdresses: The Ultimate Fashion Statement

Corky

Practically Family

by Wes Cowan

REVOLUTIONARY-WAR-ERA-TRICORN-HAT.jpg

While new trends in fashion can provide something to talk about, depending exactly on the statement new fashion is trying to make. It’s hard to believe that just 200 years ago, men’s militia hats were a fashion statement too. Militia groups were formed by men of means who banded together to form troops of cavalry, infantry or artillery. They were primarily social organization and they used their colorful uniforms as a way of competing with other militia organizations, not only at shooting and drilling competitions, but also on the ballroom floor. Each spent an inordinate amount of time creating distinctive uniforms—including hats.

MILITIA-OFFICERS-MODEL-1840-CHAPEAU-DE-BRAS.jpg

(Cont'd at link)

http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry/military-headdresses-ultimate-fashion-statement

RARE-BALTIMORE-LEATHER-TOMBSTONE-INFANTRY-CAP.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
The United States Army Cavalry Museum is at Fort Riley, a couple of hours from here, and its amazing what they have preserved, what was held onto and is now on display.
It's right off I-70. Anyone passing through should stop, to see the hats, if nothing else.

MB ... If you think that is tapered, you should see what the Hardee dress hats from the Civil War looked like! Tall, but without the braid, brass and feathers you'd think it was a Pilgrim hat -- pilgrim!

Anyway, the cav museum is worth the stop.

Sam

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I would wear the first two hats but the third I just cannot see anything but a train conductor, train ticket taker, or such railway oriented jobs wearing this type of head gear. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

WarHorse

New in Town
All I can think about is how uncomfortable those would be on a forced march. Even though I hated our berets, they were far better than these. Great pictures - thanks for sharing.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
To boost research of military headgear I am attaching a link to a very interesting bunch of artisans in Rome who works for movies, television and theater.
This is their catalog of historical hats http://www.mauriziobazar.com/foto_catalogo/catalogo inglese.pdf mainly Italian Renaissance, some soldiers and even civilians.
Can achieve many forms of hat on demand. They also work on the single cap for individuals.
There at the end of the catalog an interesting choice of felts with which to make the hats.
This is the link of the workshop Maurizio Bazar http://www.mauriziobazar.com/english/home.htm if you feel like having some costumes out of the ordinary.:eek:

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Corky,

Is it possible to see the liners/sweat bands on these? I understand that some are a bit different than our modern hats.

I would wear the first two hats but the third I just cannot see anything but a train conductor, train ticket taker, or such railway oriented jobs wearing this type of head gear. Just my opinion though.

That head dress was mostly used during the Napoleanic era. These often had an adjustable drawstring liner which made then a lot more comfortable.

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
So much brim wasted...

Actually, NO brim was harmed in the creation of these hats. The cocked hat brim is simply turned upward as is the Chapeau while the early version of the Shako had an applied leather bill rather than a felt brim.

Again, have no concern Joao - no brims were harmed! :)

Fed

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Actually, NO brim was harmed in the creation of these hats. The cocked hat brim is simply turned upward as is the Chapeau while the early version of the Shako had an applied leather bill rather than a felt brim.

Again, have no concern Joao - no brims were harmed! :)

Fed

It's in the wrong place!
So there, wasted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy