Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military style hair brush

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Check this out Guys...

Was reading my roomates new January edition of GQ magazine and it's talking about new styling trends for 2008. There is an article on page 32 titled- "The Perfect Brush". It starts off by asking the question- Ever wonder how guys like Cary Grant and Errol Flynn got such shiny hair? It mentions the brush creates a natural sheen on it's own by how close the bristles are and how this allows light to reflect off one's hair. It is called a Kotibe Wood Military-Style Brush and it lists a 800# to call to get it, price is $28.00.
The company who makes it is Acca Kappa and the # to call is 800-929-5756.

I tried to get a picture to post but no luck yet. I'll let you know if I get it and what kind of results I get.

Jovan

Suspended
If enough guys follow that, well, it would be a relief and a disappointment. People will claim I did it because GQ told me to, which is wrong. Kind of like the whole Pink Floyd popularity boom here... when I had been listening to them since early middle school.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Inspired by this thread, I bought a military brush at a Sally Beauty Supply while in Oklahoma City for the holidays. Cost me three bucks, and it does a very nice job indeed on my hair. I'm tossing the plastic brush I've always used and making the switch permanently.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
brylcreem boy said:
Was reading my roomates new January edition of GQ magazine and it's talking about new styling trends for 2008. There is an article on page 32 titled- "The Perfect Brush". It starts off by asking the question- Ever wonder how guys like Cary Grant and Errol Flynn got such shiny hair? It mentions the brush creates a natural sheen on it's own by how close the bristles are and how this allows light to reflect off one's hair. It is called a Kotibe Wood Military-Style Brush and it lists a 800# to call to get it, price is $28.00.
The company who makes it is Acca Kappa and the # to call is 800-929-5756.
QUOTE]

brush.jpg

I just ordered the brush. You can buy it online at www.shopaccakappa.com. Click Brushes and Combs - then click "Professional" in the upper right hand corner. Shipping costs $7.50.

pcerio

New in Town
Jovan said:
If enough guys follow that, well, it would be a relief and a disappointment. People will claim I did it because GQ told me to, which is wrong. Kind of like the whole Pink Floyd popularity boom here... when I had been listening to them since early middle school.

I ordered it too. I need a brush to tame my wavy hair. Hopefully this will do the trick. I don't care if people think GQ told me to, my reply is "GQ reviews items worth their while". I have purchased a few items that have gotten write-ups in GQ. I wish I had the issue from 1996 or 1997 that had the article on the Gruen Curvex. I bought the exact same 1938 watch in the article. 46mm long, 6mm curve; sleek tank that keeps time like no other watch I've owned. Not bad for a 70 year-old wind-up! Got a couple of Fedoras, and interestingly enough, they are featured in the Jan '08 GQ too.

Jovan

Suspended
I actually found the brush at Sally and have been using it for a good month or so now. It's a bit hard to find... not with the men's hair products. They're all in a little bin with several others if anyone's looking.

It seems to do a good job, though I'm going to want a stiffer brush to get out dandruff eventually.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Acca Kappa is ready to send out brushes to those who ordered them.

The GQ article caused an ordering frenzy that wiped out not only their supply but the entire supply of the Italian company that makes the brush for them.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Military Hair Brush -- Duluth Trading Company

Here is another option for a military hairbrush:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/61012.aspx?feature=Product_3&kw=brush

The Military Hair Brush has been going to war for over 200 years, and surely accompanied Wellington to Waterloo in 1815. Its unique oval shape fits comfortably into your hand, and easily into a small kit. Natural boar bristles – you should insist on no other! – stimulate your scalp and distribute natural oils and proteins, shaping up both the look and general condition of your hair, so you’ll always pass inspection. The polished hardwood handle will last virtually forever – a nice keepsake to pass down to your son. Suitable for military cut or longer styles. Manufactured for us by a company that is also the last remaining maker of barber poles in North America. Measures 2 1/4"W x 1 1/2"D x 4 3/4"L. Imported.

Item 61012
$8.50

Cheers,

---Scott

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Military Brushes at Sally's

Stoppped by Sally's Beauty Supply tonight to check out their Military Style hairbrushes. They have 2 types, one is more rectangular with a natural wood finish base and the other one is more oval with a black wood base. Both appear to be made out of boar bristle and are made in China. At $2.49 a piece I picked up 2 of them to try. I am not sure how well they will work though since their bristles seem really soft, however maybe that will work to get a high shine.

Cheers,

---Scott

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Mine is by R.S. Stein. The shape is more rectangular than oval, but the bristles are plenty stiff to scrub my scalp. The company also makes a softer model. See here, bottom of page.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
I picked up two military style brushes at Sally's Beauty Supply today. I got the firm bristle variety, but they also had soft bristle and medium bristle brushes. All three varieties had the same wooden base and were $2.49 USD each. The bristles are boar hair, and definitely get through my hair to the scalp.

For $5 USD + tax, I don't have a problem experimenting with these brushes.

univibe88

One Too Many
I need to get one of these brushes! I remember my dad using a brush like this. His had a green plastic handle. He was in the military. I bet that is where he got his.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Kent Military Hair brushes

I just purchased 2 of the Kent Military Brushes from the Kent Ebay site. I have been told these really do a great job of stimulating your scalp and making your hair shine by distributing the natural oils and have also been told that these really maximize the effects of traditional grooming products like Groom and Clean, Brylcreem and lighter pomades and tonics. Would like some feedback on how to use the brushes along with my comb to get the best style. Looking forward to trying them out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24