Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transitioning to vintage hair

I know there are posts about men's vintage haircuts and they will be invaluable; but since you all were so helpful answering my questions about helping my man build a vintage wardrobe and find his style; one thing that must happen is period appropriate hair. He has already tried the short-on-the-sides long-on-the-top cut but as soon as it gets long enough on the top to be slicked back (as seems to be the go-to through 20s,30s,40s, and 50s), he gets it cut because it gets in his eyes as he doesn't want to have to use gobs of product. I love me some hairspray to set my pincurls and have found good products that don't make my hair feel gross. But he remains unconvinced. I could really use some suggestions on how to help him start. His hair won't want to slick back, I imagine, for the first few months and will require more product during training. He does sport a beard, so he clearly isn't going to be vintage-picture-perfect and he would be happy with a haircut that is even only reminiscent of the vintage cuts as long as it is low maintenance.

Basically we need a training wheels haircut until he gets used to the idea of doing more than a 30 second comb through in the AM! Haha! TIA!

BootsNBraces

New in Town
I don't know what the styles were like in America, but I do a lot of work on old photographs dating from the 1910s to the 1950s and from what I've seen of haircuts, you can get away with pretty much anything as long as it isn't too obviously modern. Pretty much any classic barber shop will be able to do a traditional mens' cut to what ever length your man wants.

I honestly thing you can get away with anything (within reason and context), recalling an image I think I saw on here of Salvador Dali in the 1930s with a short mohawk.

Here in England more 'tradional' barber cuts are seeing a massive revival, particularly military-esque undercut short back and sides. I actually had a haircut today in this style - I told the barber roughly what I wanted to do with my hair and he cut it in such a way that it would work best with my hair's natural partings.

photo_00160.jpg
photo_00163.jpg
photo_00165.jpg

Water-based pomade is what I imagine would be best for him. The strength of classic pomade but without the nasty greasyness and hassle when it comes to washing it out. I've been recommended a brand called Uppercut Delux - it's what I'm wearing in my hair in this pictures (finished with some hairspray to keep it in place). That being said - the trick is all in the drying if he wants any sort of slicked back style that will hold all day.

Just do a google search for Traditional male haircuts and 90% of them, all though they may not scream 20s/30s/40s/50s, will be more than acceptable. And once again - the best place to go is a genuine barber's shop - no fancy hair stylists or dressers.

That info on water based pomade is insanely helpful and not something I saw on the other threads. Thank you!

And thx for the links - I will need a few hours to go through all that info! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo