Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military style hair brush

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I just received my Kent Ebay site black and white bristle military brushes yesterday. So far my favorite is the Black. They really smooth the hair and stimulate the scalp and give me that well groomed look like the Brylcreem poster guy in my avatar. I thought they were a great deal, the shipping was a bit high, but the brushes are top notch:eusa_clap

Clark Nova

New in Town
Acca Kappa Military Brush

Anybody get an Acca Kappa Military? Just wondering how they compare to the Kents...as they are about the same price if you go through the Kent Ebay store. Thanks.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
I have both of the (soft and firm) brushes from Sally's and they are now my brush-crumbs-off-the-table brushes. I found them to be so soft and poorly made as to be useless for their intended purpose.

I found one sufficiently stiff one at Sally's a couple of years back, but I've never managed to find another one there.

Clark Nova

New in Town
Acca Kappa

Was that the black bristles or the white?- I'm a bit tender-headed so I figured I'd opt for the white boar. Got an el cheapo at the local Dollar Store, boar and nylon - much too hard for my tastes.

AEH

One of the Regulars
Hair brush?

Last summer I bought this beautiful monogrammed ivory brush at a thrift store for about $3:

borste.jpg

I took it for a clothes brush, bout would you say it is a hair brush? The bristle are rather stiff, so it would do a good job on dandruff :)

JohnnieT

New in Town
Kent Brushes.

This may have no bearing on the ownership or purchase of the brush, but it's a neat-o little tidbit.
Back at Fort Lewis, we have one very old man who runs a barber shop off post. He is a retired Korean War vet. He swears by Kent brushes (and some copies) as opposed to newer plastic ones with synthetic fibers.
Also, hear in Iraq, the AAFES barber shop on our FOB has several Kent brushes. They are very popular due the the condition that your hair can get into (sweat, sand, hat-knap) even after a good shower.:eek:

bigbjorn

New in Town
Any difference (beyond the obvious one) between the black bristles and the white bristles on the Kent brushes?

Never mind, found the following on the Kent FAQs:
"There is no difference between the colours of bristle, it is purely down to personal taste, some people prefer black bristle filled brushes, but its normally blondes and light coloured hair types that prefer white."

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
As a Kent Army user myself, I think it is something about distributing the hair's natural oils evenly from the base to the tip. I also have the impression that plastic bristles are generally less kind to hair.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm amazed I never knew this thread existed. I have a pair of Kent military hair-brushes (ebony grips) in a brown leather military case, from ca. 1935. Oval-shaped. They were a flea-market find made by my father, several years ago.

They now sleep in my bathroom when they're not being used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner