Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
We're all united on this thread in finding the Woolly Pully (a.k.a. Commando Sweater) somewhat special. I wonder what it is that makes us like them so much: is it the ribbed wool, the cuffs, the patches, the general timeless elegance or the military associations.

For me it is a combination of all of these.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I saw our local postman wearing a Woolly Pully last week, they did used to have them years ago. No doubt the cold weather was the reason for that.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I saw our local postman wearing a Woolly Pully last week, they did used to have them years ago. No doubt the cold weather was the reason for that.

Another advantage of the cold weather. I am really enjoying it. I have also seen a local postman wearing a Navy v-neck WP. Best wishes, Aidan (in peat brown crew neck WP!)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
It was the first of June yesterday and owing to our odd weather this year, I am still finding that it's necessary to be wearing my sweaters.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
I bought the first one in 1979 from a small shop on The Holloway road (no longer there).
It was the RN version with a round neck.. cannot remember exactly how much...around five or six quid!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I bought the first one in 1979 from a small shop on The Holloway road (no longer there).
It was the RN version with a round neck.. cannot remember exactly how much...around five or six quid!
I hope you have continued to wear them every since.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Outdoor Knitwear have just reissued the maroon version of the Woolly Pully. The last time I wore a maroon WP was when I was a student in the 1980s. I might well buy one again.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
As you mention it Ticklishchap, I am planning on getting two new ones ...probably the blue RN version, one round neck, one V-neck.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Helsinki...By the way, check out this Finnish firm, www.varusteleka.com

Hope you get the two new sweaters ok.

Helsinki is a nice city, I went there a few years ago for a long weekend in. One great attraction I did was a steam train from the main Helsinki station for about 2 hours into the country and there was a glass making factory/workshop near where the steam train stopped, it was a very good day trip.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Hope you get the two new sweaters ok.

Helsinki is a nice city, I went there a few years ago for a long weekend in. One great attraction I did was a steam train from the main Helsinki station for about 2 hours into the country and there was a glass making factory/workshop near where the steam train stopped, it was a very good day trip.

I look forward to going there sometime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats