Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

karhu21

One of the Regulars
The steam train still operates. Its nice to hear an account of a visit to Finland which does not go into getting sloshed on the vodka and
beer.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The steam train still operates. Its nice to hear an account of a visit to Finland which does not go into getting sloshed on the vodka and
beer.

It's good to hear that steam train still operates, I will have to see if I can find it on the internet. It was a very enjoyable visit and no I did not get sloshed on the beer & vodka etc....Rgds.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Its just that having spoken to people who have visited Finland, the subject nearly always comes around the the subject of booze
which is a pity because there are so many other aspects of Finnish culture.
Its good that you enjoyed the train journey without getting into the realm of the vodka. Mind you, on the subject of that, if you put a bottle
of vodka into the deep freeze for a day or two it turns into a nice cold drink on a hot day! (just a suggestion)...cheers!

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Its just that having spoken to people who have visited Finland, the subject nearly always comes around the the subject of booze
Its good that you enjoyed the train journey without getting into the realm of the vodka. Mind you, on the subject of that, if you put a bottle
of vodka into the deep freeze for a day or two it turns into a nice cold drink on a hot day! (just a suggestion)...cheers!

Virrvarr

New in Town
Here are some photos of a "original" Wooly-Pully" from 1943 I have (and use). Found a small batch of these in a military warehouse back in the 90ties, but these originals can be found on Ebay from time to time. gen3.jpg gen2.jpg gens1.jpg

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thank you, I am ordering one of those and another colour today.

The two woolly pullies that I ordered last Wednesday arrived yesterday, (Monday ) allready and are fine, really great, such fast and efficient service again from Outdoor Knitwear.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

I think that the British now outdo everyone in Europe for binge drinking- especially but not exclusively the 'yoof'. When they're not drinking themselves senseless, modern 'Brits' (as they call themselves without irony) are vacuously cheering over sporting events, royal babies, talentless rock stars and sleazy 'reality' shows. Welcome to Brave New World.

Finland calls to mind Sibelius - and by contrast the Moomin stories! I would also like to know more about the Kalevala - I have heard of this book but not seen a copy.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The two woolly pullies that I ordered last Wednesday arrived yesterday, (Monday ) allready and are fine, really great, such fast and efficient service again from Outdoor Knitwear.
Congratulations. I was going to order maroon and derby tweed, but haven't got round to it yet. I shall do it soon, however, and look forward to wearing them in the autumn.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I think that the British now outdo everyone in Europe for binge drinking- especially but not exclusively the 'yoof'. When they're not drinking themselves senseless, modern 'Brits' (as they call themselves without irony) are vacuously cheering over sporting events, royal babies, talentless rock stars and sleazy 'reality' shows. Welcome to Brave New World.

Finland calls to mind Sibelius - and by contrast the Moomin stories! I would also like to know more about the Kalevala - I have heard of this book but not seen a copy.

You are correct about some people seeming getting so involved and worked up about reality TV shows, most of which I can not stand. One reason I think the TV firms make alot of these, is that's it's quite cheap I understand for them to do so.
There does not seem to be so much good quality TV around these days. There have been a lot of very "Dark" crime programmes recently and alot of various police & hospital dramas, so many in fact that they seem to rehash each others story-line sometimes.
Having said that, sometimes a particularly good programme comes along and knocks spots of everything else. There is a 10 episode historic one at the moment.

Sadly too, I think you are correct in what you say here about the binge drinkers, go into a town centre on most evenings and especially Fridays & Saturdays and it's not a pretty sight, loads of drunken men and women staggering around, being ill etc it's not a good look at at all. It's not just the youngsters either, sometimes people in there late 20s or 30s too.

Some people do seem very self centered and uncaring these days and there does not seem to be so much respect and consideration for other people or property as there used to be. When I was at school these things were bought up and talked about in class etc, but I am not sure that this is done these days. We had to stand up always when a teacher or any adult came in the room and raise our hats to ladies, I think we were more respectful too, any anti social behavior etc was dealt with very quickly.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Some people do seem very self centered and uncaring these days and there does not seem to be so much respect and consideration for other people or property as there used to be.
Stephen, I agree with all you say in your post about this. It's way off-topic but part of this selfishness is caused by the sad baby boomers of the 60s generation who are nostalgic about Glastonbury and student sit-ins but in fact were and are extremely materialistic and acquisitive: we are now paying for their over-spending and over-consumption.
Then there was Mrs Thatcher and the 'greed is good'/'loadsamoney' mentality of her era, which has had the long-term effect of making people put themselves first. But this selfishness cuts across party lines, of course: the Blairs personify extreme, pathological and tasteless greed along with extreme vulgarity and hypocrisy. Then there is the talentless celebrity culture that puts money and fame before everything else, plus a dumbed-down education system that doesn't even teach people to speak properly or form sentences. That, after all, would be 'elitist.
Apologies to anyone reading this who does not live in Rude Britannia! Americans (and Australians even more) will recognise some of the symptoms I have described. ... Sorry to go off-topic as well!

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Too warm for Woolly Pullies here at the moment, but have any of you chaps in the Southern Hemisphere been able to wear them lately?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn