Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I am pleased to say that I wore my Air Force blue WP for a few hours yesterday evening and the peat brown one early this morning. There is hope: Fall is on its way and I am celebrating that!

Outdoor Knitwear have introduced a new colour: dark purple mix.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
TADA!

I'm traveling for work this week (in Detroit, MI) and it went from a high of 97° (F) on Tuesday (ugh!), to a high of 62° today (ahhhh!). Being that I am a genius, I left my cold weather clothing arsenal (I work outside) at home.

But, today, while perusing an Army surplus store I found an unused Citadel V-neck navy blue gem for only $9!

I am now comfy warm (and enjoyably itchy) and will be for the rest of the week, also.

Is there any way to date these things?

(And, due to some nefarious recent posting, I'm afraid I'm going to start focusing my eyes on white sweaters when I'm at the thrift shops.)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
TADA!

I'm traveling for work this week (in Detroit, MI) and it went from a high of 97° (F) on Tuesday (ugh!), to a high of 62° today (ahhhh!). Being that I am a genius, I left my cold weather clothing arsenal (I work outside) at home.

But, today, while perusing an Army surplus store I found an unused Citadel V-neck navy blue gem for only $9!

I am now comfy warm (and enjoyably itchy) and will be for the rest of the week, also.

Is there any way to date these things?

(And, due to some nefarious recent posting, I'm afraid I'm going to start focusing my eyes on white sweaters when I'm at the thrift shops.)

Funnily enough, the other night I watched a BBC programme called 'Requiem for Detroit' about that great city's tragic decline. It glossed over some of the corrupt urban politics, however. At the end it showed residents who were going back to growing their own food and becoming small-scale traders. Empty lots were turning into city farms. Very interesting.

62F (we call Fahrenheit 'the old money' now) is far more comfy than 971 I'm glad you found the unused Citadel V-neck. Very useful addition to your collection and it will last for years.

I could only attempt to 'date' it if I saw the label.

Re. the white turtlenecks: Silvermans in London do them: www.silvermans.co.uk Click on the military section, then 'Jumpers, Fleeces and Tops' (jumper is a synonym for sweater in England). It's described as a Royal Navy Sub Sweater. They're a good investment and I love wearing mine in the cold weather.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have a wooly pully from a local surplus shop. Ten dollars, v-neck in real, actual wool.

I had a Canadian Army woolly pully many years ago - very dark green wool. I might still have it somewhere but unfortunately it's too small for me now.

Am enjoying the return of Woolly Pully weather here in London.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have just ordered the new dark purple mix WP from Outdoor Knitwear. Am looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Funnily enough, the other night I watched a BBC programme called 'Requiem for Detroit' about that great city's tragic decline. It glossed over some of the corrupt urban politics, however. At the end it showed residents who were going back to growing their own food and becoming small-scale traders. Empty lots were turning into city farms. Very interesting.

62F (we call Fahrenheit 'the old money' now) is far more comfy than 971 I'm glad you found the unused Citadel V-neck. Very useful addition to your collection and it will last for years.

I could only attempt to 'date' it if I saw the label.

Re. the white turtlenecks: Silvermans in London do them: www.silvermans.co.uk Click on the military section, then 'Jumpers, Fleeces and Tops' (jumper is a synonym for sweater in England). It's described as a Royal Navy Sub Sweater. They're a good investment and I love wearing mine in the cold weather.

Yes, I could tell you some stories about Detroit. I work there often and I haven't been shot or mugged, yet. I've seen coyotes wandering through neighborhoods within the city limits. That's how deserted some parts are.

Surprisingly enough (I didn't know, I was wearing it during the last post), the tag says "Made in England" and "USAF Certification No. 70 MBL 06-16-87". I suppose that narrows it down some.

It later warmed up during the week, and while I wore it in the mornings, I soon had to take it off because it worked too well. But, winter is coming and I'll soon be wearing it all day, every day. (I don't know whether to make this thrift-shop one, or the one I recently bought over the internet, my work sweater.) I'll probably dedicate the internet one for smelly, dirty work duty, and make this (possibly) vintage-ish one for home wear. (If it's even a little bit 'vintage-ish' it deserves a bit more respect).

If I get a white one, with the big thick neck, I'll soon need a submarine. Go big, or go home.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Surprisingly enough (I didn't know, I was wearing it during the last post), the tag says "Made in England" and "USAF Certification No. 70 MBL 06-16-87". I suppose that narrows it down some.

It later warmed up during the week, and while I wore it in the mornings, I soon had to take it off because it worked too well. But, winter is coming and I'll soon be wearing it all day, every day. (I don't know whether to make this thrift-shop one, or the one I recently bought over the internet, my work sweater.) I'll probably dedicate the internet one for smelly, dirty work duty, and make this (possibly) vintage-ish one for home wear. (If it's even a little bit 'vintage-ish' it deserves a bit more respect).

If I get a white one, with the big thick neck, I'll soon need a submarine. Go big, or go home.

It sounds ad if it might be 1980s, but that's only a guess. I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. WPs are a bit addictive, I find!
I'd like to hear some of your Detroit stories sometime.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Beginning to turn towards autumn (enough) weather in my part of the world to consider wearing my woolly pully's perhaps in the near future. Can't wait.

Yes, it's the same here. I have just come back from a great steam railtour around Scotland and was wearing my navy Crew Neck Woolly Pully all the time. I am about to go out now and shall be wearing my Dark Grey Mix WP.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Beginning to turn towards autumn (enough) weather in my part of the world to consider wearing my woolly pully's perhaps in the near future. Can't wait.

I've worn mine several times over the past few weeks - the olive green and navy blue a few times, plus air force blue and derby tweed. Have greatly enjoyed it. Usually I've worn them early mornings and late evenings. It's been a bit too warm for them for the past couple of days in S-W London but I am hoping to try my new one this evening!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, it's the same here. I have just come back from a great steam railtour around Scotland and was wearing my navy Crew Neck Woolly Pully all the time. I am about to go out now and shall be wearing my Dark Grey Mix WP.

I should have mentioned that I have also worn the Dark Grey Mix: really like that colour as well. I hope you enjoyed the steam rail tour.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
May I throw in another question: when did you own your first Woolly Pully? I bought my first aged 11, in 1977, inspired at the time my English master at school, because he wore an olive Army WP. I have owned and worn them ever since and it's now 2013!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner