Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I should have mentioned that I have also worn the Dark Grey Mix: really like that colour as well. I hope you enjoyed the steam rail tour.

Yes thank you the steam train rail tour was very enjoyable, travelling at high speeds along the main lines in the Northwest of England and Western Scotland. The scenery up there is fantastic and with that plus the sounds and smells of the steam locomotives & people waving at the train as we went through stations and from the trackside all made for a wonderful trip. :)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
May I throw in another question: when did you own your first Woolly Pully? I bought my first aged 11, in 1977, inspired at the time my English master at school, because he wore an olive Army WP. I have owned and worn them ever since and it's now 2013!

I first bought mine in the early 1970s. I saw a prefect from my secondary school wearing one and thought how smart it looked and have been wearing them since.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I just ordered another of these Woolly Pullys from Outdoor Knitwear in Leicestershire, this time a brown crew neck. It should come through in the next few days.

keith

New in Town
thinking of buying another myself, got the latest discount code 3DISC15 from Outdoor Knitwear, need to make my mind up on what colour, I like the new woolly pullys with the suede patches instead of the cotton.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
thinking of buying another myself, got the latest discount code 3DISC15 from Outdoor Knitwear, need to make my mind up on what colour, I like the new woolly pullys with the suede patches instead of the cotton.

Yes, infact I just ordered and paid for a sweater from Outdoor Knitwear this week using that offer and it has already arrived, a great sweater and excellent service again from a very good company.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, infact I just ordered and paid for a sweater from Outdoor Knitwear this week using that offer and it has already arrived, a great sweater and excellent service again from a very good company.

I have also ordered a dark red WP. You mentioned the peat brown: that is an excellent colour which I wear very often!

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
TADA! I was at another surplus store this week.

This one's tag says: "Feuchter, Ringelai" and "80% Schurwolle / 20% Polyamid" (my German is limited to form school, but I can still decipher that).

It has a German flag on each shoulder. And, a chest pocket which is kind of useful. (I immediately removed the velcro swatch that was over the pocket because a velcro patch and knitted things don't coexist well.)

THIS will be my work sweater.

I googled it and it appears to be their current Navy issue.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
TADA! I was at another surplus store this week.

This one's tag says: "Feuchter, Ringelai" and "80% Schurwolle / 20% Polyamid" (my German is limited to form school, but I can still decipher that).

It has a German flag on each shoulder. And, a chest pocket which is kind of useful. (I immediately removed the velcro swatch that was over the pocket because a velcro patch and knitted things don't coexist well.)

THIS will be my work sweater.

I googled it and it appears to be their current Navy issue.

Good morning,

I have a couple of these German Sweaters too, one navy blue, the other green, they are very good and the chest pocket does come in useful too. Mine are both wool with round necks, warm and fit very well.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Good morning,

I have a couple of these German Sweaters too, one navy blue, the other green, they are very good and the chest pocket does come in useful too. Mine are both wool with round necks, warm and fit very well.

I have heard a lot about the virtues of these sweaters but I shall stick with British Woolly Pullies (which of course are not exclusively British now but copied in the US and elsewhere!). Although I have respect for many aspects of modern Germany, I could not wear anything associated with the German military. That's just my personal view - I'm not suggesting others should feel the same.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I have one of these sweaters. It's a USA-issue, olive brown, 100% wool, with a 5-button placket at the top, ribbing on both the cuff and bottom edge. Unfortunately it's way too big for me so, I never wear it in public. Tag says size-XL (46-48). Looks to be in pretty good condition, haven't seen any holes on it yet.

I would love to trade it for something similar, only in a size that's appropriate for someone with 33.5" chest, 5.6" tall. I'd prefer the sweater to have no less than 85% content of wool, alpaca, lama or camel fiber (or combination thereof). Preferred colors are browns, grays, white, maroon and, blues that are lighter than navy. A pocket or two, on the chest is a plus. Shoulder epaulettes are a minus.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have one of these sweaters. It's a USA-issue, olive brown, 100% wool, with a 5-button placket at the top, ribbing on both the cuff and bottom edge. Unfortunately it's way too big for me so, I never wear it in public. Tag says size-XL (46-48). Looks to be in pretty good condition, haven't seen any holes on it yet.

I would love to trade it for something similar, only in a size that's appropriate for someone with 33.5" chest, 5.6" tall. I'd prefer the sweater to have no less than 85% content of wool, alpaca, lama or camel fiber (or combination thereof). Preferred colors are browns, grays, white, maroon and, blues that are lighter than navy. A pocket or two, on the chest is a plus. Shoulder epaulettes are a minus.

Welcome, may I recommend www.outdoorknitwear.com

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcome and suggestion. Do you know the wool content for any of the sweaters at that site? Just quickly, I checked out a V-neck without epaulettes and don't see a wool content percentage listed. I do like some of the colors offerings and, might go for one if it fits my preference.
http://www.outdoorknitwear.com/store/product.php?product=70

Hi Nyah, From the Outdoor Knitwear "About Us" page - "All knitwear is produced using 100% pure new wool (with the exception of the workwear sweater). The country sweaters have real suede shoulder and elbow patches and are completely washable." I have purchased several sweaters from them and they are all great. John

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcome and suggestion.
I do like some of the colors offerings at that site, might go for one.

Nyah, B24-J has answered your question I think! I have bought a lot of military sweaters from them over the years - all 100% wool. I would never wear a synthetic sweater, or synthetic anything else for that matter.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
That he has.

Thanks B-24J.

I did also find on my own, that the site employs a banner graphic which reads "100% WOOL British Designed" at the top of each page. I was initially so busy looking for sweaters of interest that I failed to notice this catch-all message.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That he has.

Thanks B-24J.

I did also find on my own, that the site employs a banner graphic which reads "100% WOOL British Designed" at the top of each page. I was initially so busy looking for sweaters of interest that I failed to notice this catch-all message.

That's good. May I ask why you dislike shoulder patches?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner