Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Had seen ads for Outdoor Knitwear - I still have Niffi's old version of the blue 'submarine' jumper that Cabelas in the US used to sell. Most of the WPs I sold on ebay, as I outgrew them, but I still have six though, most are Bridgedale and Commando labelled versions and also a few of the seriously outdoor types that were popular in the 70s - typically with suede patches, from people like Lakeland. The OD green polo neck is sorely missed, so many thanks for the contact.

I also have quite a number of these "Woolly Pully" sweaters along with a couple of polo/turtle neck submariner sweaters and one of the heavy outdoor sweaters you mention with the suede patches and would thoroughly endorse the above mentioned Outdoor Knitwear firm from whom I have purchased several of these sweaters. I do also remember the Bridgedale company.

Although it is supposed to be spring/summer here in the UK now, it is still cool enough to warrant these pullovers at least in the early mornings and evenings although in the past couple of days I have been wearing one all day.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
. The OD green polo neck is sorely missed, so many thanks for the contact.
I wouldn't mind one of those myself and so might ask Outdoor Knitwear as well. I know that they are made for the export market, mainly Japan I think.
I am already looking forward to autumn when I can wear WPs, Guernseys and a submarine jumper again.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I wouldn't mind one of those myself and so might ask Outdoor Knitwear as well. I know that they are made for the export market, mainly Japan I think.
I am already looking forward to autumn when I can wear WPs, Guernseys and a submarine jumper again.

I Had not heard of these roll neck/turtle neck sweaters, are they similar to the crew neck version just with the roll neck added?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I Had not heard of these roll neck/turtle neck sweaters, are they similar to the crew neck version just with the roll neck added?
They appear to be. I have seen them on Japanese websites and I think OKW make them for that market, perhaps other overseas markets too. I might ask them.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
They're great, very warm too. Have a pic, but being new here need to work out how to post.

OK, I would be interested to see a pic. (I am not very tech minded, so can't help you regarding how to put the photo on this site)

I see you are on the South Coast, I hope the weather there will be good this weekend as all being well I am coming down on a special mainline steam train charter. I think it goes to Eastbourne, Hastings, Seaford and Brighton via Newhaven as it's an anniversary of the railway coming to that part of the UK in the mid 1800s!

mariner

New in Town
That is a nice looking sweater, is it pure wool or man made fibres? I would like to get one of those, if it is wool.

It is pure wool, here's the link to the label, which makes me think that OKW made them. Size label is under the main label. The colour is a creamy white, but I think they might have been sold in RN blue, green and camouflage. I had an Army green one from a North London surplus store. I was working in europe for awhile, so I've had the cream one for 15 years, at least.

They are very warm and it seems longer in the body than some WPs, so flattering to wear too. I really like the style, so I'd like to buy more too, if they do them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1012...s/6022979005349622625?authkey=CJX72_3g0ZuxngE

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It is pure wool, here's the link to the label, which makes me think that OKW made them. Size label is under the main label. The colour is a creamy white, but I think they might have been sold in RN blue, green and camouflage. I had an Army green one from a North London surplus store. I was working in europe for awhile, so I've had the cream one for 15 years, at least.

They are very warm and it seems longer in the body than some WPs, so flattering to wear too. I really like the style, so I'd like to buy more too, if they do them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1012...s/6022979005349622625?authkey=CJX72_3g0ZuxngE

I really like it. It does look as if it was made by OKW or TW Kempton (which amalgamated with OKW). The colour is quite unusual. I am sure you enjoy wearing it. I would love to have one in Army green - in fact I shall have to get one!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Outdoor Knitwear will be producing some of these roll neck pullovers in October, in Olive green, navy, black and brown. Contact Neil Hawthorn there for details. I have emailed him for an Olive Green one and I may also get a black one too.

Outdoor knitwear will be putting some of these roll necks on their website in due course.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

I have written to Outdoor Knitwear and Neil replied to me saying that there would be a limited issue of the roll necks in October - in army green, navy blue, black, 'brown mix'. If you send me a private message I shall send you his contact details in return so that you can place an order directly.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
It seems that here in the UK our hot summer has come to a sudden end and it's time to get the wool sweaters back out again. :) The fresh cool weather is so much more comfortable than the recent hot & humid weather that we have recently had.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Outdoor Knitwear in Leicester UK, now have these woolly pully sweaters in Roll Neck on their website, they have them in four colours and look very good indeed, I think they are a very fair price too. I shall certainly be ordering a couple. :)

mariner

New in Town
Very nice, have ordered my first - looking forward to receiving it as the nights are starting to close in and the leaves coming down. There's something about the design that keeps the heat in these, guess it's no secret why the military use them.

keith

New in Town
Just had a look, they also have a plain no patches crewneck woolly pully and a tanktop with patches in the same 4 colours - very nice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner