Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have never in my life possessed either a fleece or a hoodie and I am likely to keep it that way. Fleeces I particularly dislike as I associate them with 'rambler' types - I am a long-distance hiker and I wear wool as a middle layer because it breathes so well, whereas synthetic fleece doesn't. Also the way they are made is very environmentally unfriendly. I think they are starting to go the way of shell-suits happily. ...!

I prefer pure wool sweaters too, I find them very warm and comfortable to wear. I don't like sweaters that are made of made made fibres or cotton either. 100% wool is far better. IMO.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
I have never in my life possessed either a fleece or a hoodie and I am likely to keep it that way. Fleeces I particularly dislike as I associate them with 'rambler' types - I am a long-distance hiker and I wear wool as a middle layer because it breathes so well, whereas synthetic fleece doesn't. Also the way they are made is very environmentally unfriendly. I think they are starting to go the way of shell-suits happily. ...!

When I got into walking in the late 80's fleece was the new king of the hill and wool was for the pipe smoking and bearded rambler who still wore plus fours. How the wheel turns as everyone raves about merino wool base layers and tweed reappears on the hill. I still think you can't beat a fleece for a shove in the daysack extra layer. I would certainly abuse a fleece much more than I would a good sweater.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
When I got into walking in the late 80's fleece was the new king of the hill and wool was for the pipe smoking and bearded rambler who still wore plus fours. How the wheel turns as everyone raves about merino wool base layers and tweed reappears on the hill. I still think you can't beat a fleece for a shove in the daysack extra layer. I would certainly abuse a fleece much more than I would a good sweater.

Interestingly, when I spoke of Rambler types I didn't mean the bearded, pipe-smoking rambler in woollies and plus fours. I rather identify with him, even though I'm in my 40s, and I am pleased to see wool - and for that matter - tweed making a comeback among the walking fraternity. The type of fleece-wearing ramblers I had in mind are rather mannish-looking women with short hair, small round glasses and extreme political correctness. They seem to flock towards fleeces, perhaps because they have a slightly androgynous look! I know I am caricaturing or stereotyping, but they very much a 'type' and they have made the hill-walking hobby a drearier affair than in the recent past. Often they have somewhat crumpled, zombie-like male consorts, also obediently wearing fleeces.

I find fleeces shapeless and ugly to look at and can't imagine they are very comfortable. They are made from recycled plastic and I find that off-putting as well. I've stuck to wool and I am delighted to see it coming back. What goes round, comes round - the first law of karma!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

As well as Shell Suits, other fashion faux-pas from the 1970s & 1980s were Velour track suits, not designed for exercise, (unlike proper track suits which our school PT Masters used to wear sometimes) just a very casual indoor lounging garment, often in pink or pale blue.

Getting back on topic, I called by the shop mentioned above in London's Kew Bridge Road and bought a blue/gray crew neck pure wool, woolly pully this morning, very nice and warm, just the job for the cold weather we have today. It has epps and pen pocket.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Not a Wooly Pully, but I've been living in my Niffi Sub jumper over the weekend (bad case of 'Man-flu').

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Not a Wooly Pully, but I've been living in my Niffi Sub jumper over the weekend (bad case of 'Man-flu').

They are great sweaters. I have had one for many years and love wearing it.
I hope you're feeling better now.
Can we 'convert' you to Woolly Pullies as well?

Aether

One of the Regulars
They are great sweaters. I have had one for many years and love wearing it.
I hope you're feeling better now.
Can we 'convert' you to Woolly Pullies as well?

Yeah, new hat arrived today, so feeling much better thanks!

I'm a fan of knitwear (Cricket Jumpers, Fisherman's Jumpers etc), but haven't worn a Wooly Pulley since I was [briefly] in the Army. From what I remember they were very warm and hardwearing. I may well have to pick one up for old times sake!

Nick

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

I'm a fan of knitwear (Cricket Jumpers, Fisherman's Jumpers etc), but haven't worn a Wooly Pulley since I was [briefly] in the Army. From what I remember they were very warm and hardwearing. I may well have to pick one up for old times sake!

Nick

Nick,
I share your sensible taste in woollies - and I prefer the word jumper to sweater, but use the latter word on this site for the benefit of our American friends. I have a lot of fisherman's jumpers as well, especially Guernseys, but it's years since I wore a cricket jumper: I wore them a lot at school, of course.
Re. woolly pullies, they are rugged, warm and hardwearing, as well as quite addictive. I very much recommend you pick one up for old times sake.
May I ask how long ago you were in the Army?
Aidan

Aether

One of the Regulars
Cheers Aidan,

I went into the Army straight after college - on a bit of a whim to be honest - but I did the basic and then infantry training then left briefly afterwards - so just under a year. It was either leave then - before my 18th birthday - or stay for another 3 years, and I knew that it wasn't for me. It was a great experience, but I wasn't cut out for it! I spent the next three years surfing in France!

Oh, btw the regiment was the now defunct Royal Green Jackets.

I still play a bit of Cricket now and then, so I've got a few jumpers kicking around for that, but I'll have to pop into an Army surplus store to see if I can get an old OD Woolly Pulley. Another colour wouldn't seem right for me!

Nick

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Cheers Aidan,

I went into the Army straight after college - on a bit of a whim to be honest - but I did the basic and then infantry training then left briefly afterwards - so just under a year. It was either leave then - before my 18th birthday - or stay for another 3 years, and I knew that it wasn't for me. It was a great experience, but I wasn't cut out for it! I spent the next three years surfing in France!

Oh, btw the regiment was the now defunct Royal Green Jackets.

I still play a bit of Cricket now and then, so I've got a few jumpers kicking around for that, but I'll have to pop into an Army surplus store to see if I can get an old OD Woolly Pulley. Another colour wouldn't seem right for me!

Nick

Nick,
That's very interesting. I remember the Royal Green Jackets very well. They had a barracks at Winchester, where I grew up, and have a museum in the city centre, very close to where my parents now live.

It's a pity that so many of the old regiments have been disbanded or amalgamated because they each had their own traditions and strong historical.

Surfing in France? The south presumably - I've had a couple of enjoyable visits to Nice, which is really more Italian than French in outlook.

I can recommend an outstanding Army surplus near Waterloo but I am sure that there are good ones Surrey.

Cheers,

Aidan

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

Nick

Nick
I think I shall adopt your spelling Woolly Pulley with an extra 'e'. It looks better than 'Pully' somehow.
Aidan

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Nick

Yes, I like good wool knitwear too, I have a number of Woolly pullies, Sub-Mariner Roll Necks, a Guernsey & Cricket Sweaters and have been wearing them all over the past few weeks during the cold spell we are having now.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My 5-button woolly pully came in today! Very cozy. Can't wait for a nice cool morning to wear it out.
j8j45mp.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
It looks very nice and I like your extensive library as well. Surely there are a lot of cool mornings in Illinois in March? It's still just cool enough for Woolly Pullies here, and may it long remain so!

I Agree, I have been wearing my Woolly Pullies alot in recent weeks.

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
It looks very nice and I like your extensive library as well. Surely there are a lot of cool mornings in Illinois in March? It's still just cool enough for Woolly Pullies here, and may it long remain so!
Thanks! There are, but this week has been in the 50's, the warmest it's been in months!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks! There are, but this week has been in the 50's, the warmest it's been in months!

I love dry cold weather - it is my ideal climate, invigorating and (as a great side effect) good for woolly pullies. ... I hope you get a lot of use out of yours.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Outdoor Knit Wear in the UK have just updated and revamped their website, certainly worth looking at for these types of sweaters and other styles too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn