Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I'm interested by the athletic sweater vintage and wonder if you have a link to the Eisenhower photo.

Sorry I have no link to Ike's sweater-spied the shot inside a book inside a near campus off-Broadway second hand bookie and cannot recall volume.:(
I also recall a photo of Einstein at Princeton sporting a cream Irish knit with a fountain pen clipped at breast. AE caught considerable criticism
over his dress habits but he had the professorial sartorial style down pat.
A snippet from Esquire's January issue: the Celtic word for sweater is gensai.
...it all started in Guernsey I guess.;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Scrounged around for books and commando sweaters, busted flush but a tip that a consignment shop on Hale Street just up
the block from my ex-Marine tailor who'll patch the frayed orphan I still wear, may have received a military issue Canadian commando,
anatomically ripped but expertly repaired. These Canadian Army discards were once plentiful here in Chicago and I habitually frequented
an Army/Navy surplus store downtown where the sweaters were kept in a large cardboard box beneath the main counter. A customer
had to ask because said were never advertised by staff but at $9 a throw were ideally suited campus wear. My current wooly pully is of
English manufacture hawked by LL Bean, bought several decades past with "built to last" quality. I prefer hunting 'em down now,
and like fine books on a second hand shelf an excellent find is especially prized.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Paired my Woolly Pully today with a Modern Stewart Black Tartan Oxford cloth shirt. I think this combination works.

waywt_1141.JPG

waywt_1142.JPG

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Paired my Woolly Pully today with a Modern Stewart Black Tartan Oxford cloth shirt. I think this combination works.

waywt_1141.JPG

waywt_1142.JPG

Very nice! I have several tartan shirts like this which I often wear with a Navy WP. I acquired a recent variant on the theme from Levi's which is described as 'Chinese Red' but is really like a traditional tartan shirt.
I too am in a Navy WP today but crew neck with epps and pen pocket.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Scrounged around for books and commando sweaters, busted flush but a tip that a consignment shop on Hale Street just up
the block from my ex-Marine tailor who'll patch the frayed orphan I still wear, may have received a military issue Canadian commando,
anatomically ripped but expertly repaired. These Canadian Army discards were once plentiful here in Chicago and I habitually frequented
an Army/Navy surplus store downtown where the sweaters were kept in a large cardboard box beneath the main counter. A customer
had to ask because said were never advertised by staff but at $9 a throw were ideally suited campus wear. My current wooly pully is of
English manufacture hawked by LL Bean, bought several decades past with "built to last" quality. I prefer hunting 'em down now,
and like fine books on a second hand shelf an excellent find is especially prized.

The Canadian commando sweater is very similar to our Moss Green from Outdoor Knitwear. I have one of these and have owned quite a few over the years.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Sorry I have no link to Ike's sweater-spied the shot inside a book inside a near campus off-Broadway second hand bookie and cannot recall volume.:(
I also recall a photo of Einstein at Princeton sporting a cream Irish knit with a fountain pen clipped at breast. AE caught considerable criticism
over his dress habits but he had the professorial sartorial style down pat.
A snippet from Esquire's January issue: the Celtic word for sweater is gensai.
...it all started in Guernsey I guess.;)

Guernseys have been fishermen's and sailors sweaters since, I think, the 1600s. I like wearing them and did so several times during the recent cold snap. My preference is for those with military associations: the Navy, of course, the olive Army (worn by several regiments), the New Natural/Oatmeal (associated with the 'Desert Rats'), but I also enjoy wearing the bottle green and Steel Grey, which I've worn a lot this season.

The Einstein photo you've mentioned is iconic.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I’m planning to get a new WP with epaulettes and pen pocket. The only ones I don’t have in this form are Purple Mix, Sand, Heather Mix and Moss Green (bottle green - a few shades darker than Army olive).

Any thoughts, chaps?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I’m planning to get a new WP with epaulettes and pen pocket. The only ones I don’t have in this form are Purple Mix, Sand, Heather Mix and Moss Green (bottle green - a few shades darker than Army olive).

Any thoughts, chaps?

Sand would be a change, don't see so much of that at the moment. I am in an RAF WP at the moment.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

Any thoughts, chaps?

Modification of standard design has its place, of course; however basic original purpose undoubtedly sets the proper tone.
A commando sweater is intended for a functional martial use just as a Sykes Fairbairn knife is intentionally crafted;
while sartorial accoutrement more suited to clerical personnel garb hardly adheres standard issue and tradition.
Epaulettes, within a squad or team are similarly superfluous. The team boss/bosses are known and no need to advertize to the enemy.
Keep it simple, functional. Just my two pence worth.;)
-----------
Chicago remains locked in a spring chill. Cold blustery wind this dawn, love the squall.
Wearing a Standun fisherman knit in the office.:)

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Modification of standard design has its place, of course; however basic original purpose undoubtedly sets the proper tone.
A commando sweater is intended for a functional martial use just as a Sykes Fairbairn knife is intentionally crafted;
while sartorial accoutrement more suited to clerical personnel garb hardly adheres standard issue and tradition.
Epaulettes, within a squad or team are similarly superfluous. The team boss/bosses are known and no need to advertize to the enemy.
Keep it simple, functional. Just my two pence worth.;)
-----------
Chicago remains locked in a spring chill. Cold blustery wind this dawn, love the squall.
Wearing a Standun fisherman knit in the office.:)

I already have a lot of commando sweaters/Woolly Pullies, some of which have accoutrements such as epaulettes or pen pockets, others not. The first ones I wore back in the 70s didn't have either of these features and I agree with you about liking this simplicity: I say this wearing an Army WP today without epps or pen pocket, just the shoulder and elbow patches.

OKW is apparently launching a WWII style WP/commando sweater shortly and I shall certainly order one of those.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I I say this wearing an Army WP today without epps or pen pocket, just the shoulder and elbow patches.

OKW is apparently launching a WWII style WP/commando sweater shortly and I shall certainly order one of those.

Wearing an OD commando in the office; would readily buy a WWII type. The coarser wool is fine. When I lived in Thessalonikki I tended
to patronize the waterfront street peddlers hawking genuine home knit fishermans-and the wool was coarse, very much so.
However simple the Greek style as opposed to more ornate Celtics, its lack of ornament stitch added character to the sweater.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I already have a lot of commando sweaters/Woolly Pullies, some of which have accoutrements such as epaulettes or pen pockets, others not. The first ones I wore back in the 70s didn't have either of these features and I agree with you about liking this simplicity: I say this wearing an Army WP today without epps or pen pocket, just the shoulder and elbow patches.

Is that on their website?, I have been overseas for a few days, will check later. (I am wearing a Sand Coloured WP at the moment.)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Wearing an OD commando in the office; would readily buy a WWII type. The coarser wool is fine. When I lived in Thessalonikki I tended
to patronize the waterfront street peddlers hawking genuine home knit fishermans-and the wool was coarse, very much so.
However simple the Greek style as opposed to more ornate Celtics, its lack of ornament stitch added character to the sweater.

Great minds think alike as I wore an OD commando sweater all yesterday. I’m wearing the Navy version today.

Like you I like coarse wool fishermen’s sweaters. Black Sheep Knitwear make some good ones and I’ve owned a few over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points