Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Ticklishchap, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

ACDE5A31-E21B-4AEE-8AA9-9968EA1AD6A5.jpeg

2. Ticklishchap

Photo above of latest addition to my collection of military sweaters: traditional Royal Navy Woolly Pully without eppaulettes - but with a pen pocket.

STEVIEBOY1 likes this.
  3. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

I was sent a brochure from Motolegends, who have sold Sub Mariner Roll Necks along with the American sweaters as mentioned above in #997. They are now selling another type of WW11 military based Wool Sweater, the "Warnom" which appear to have been issued to all the UK services. They are Roll Neck and look very good. Go into www.motolegends.com then click on to Accessories , then Fleeces and Sweaters.

Harp and Ticklishchap like this.
  4. Edward Reed

Edward Reed New in Town

They are Vintage and I got them off Etsy. 1930's American Optical "Squires". (Bifocals... turned out they are really close to my own prescription so I can wear them. my eyes are screwed up anyway LOL!)
    Its tricky when buying vintage as many have fine scratches from people having used paper napkins to clean the lenses which is abrasive. I have purchased vintage 1930s Willson sunglasses with luck... very minor micro chip or two but wearable. I have a set of 1940s aviators that aren't wearable due to foggy scratched lenses but display well on my WWII AAF mannequin head. so, try Etsy

IMG_2904.JPG

5. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Casual sweater safari last Saturday, saw several Icelandic fare, though an attractive type,
    I'm searching for the Hemingway autograph sweater: WWII era Royal Navy roll neck submariner.
    Second list choice is anything Celtic; preferably fisherman knit like a bargain Standun.

6. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

Have a look at the above mentioned Motolegends or Out Door Knit Wear websites. They do have Royal Navy Submariner Roll Neck sweaters at fair prices. There is also a thread on this forum all about the Sub/RAF Roll Necks.

7. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Will do. The second-hand store search fantasy find is hard to let go...

8. Ticklishchap

Happy - and Woolly - New Year to all on this thread!
    Am enjoying wearing Navy WP: Army (olive green) tomorrow for the sake of variety. ...

9. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

While just looking at the Motolegends site I saw the A1 Engineer Jumper in Green but then noticed it's almost all sold out. Anyone have an idea where something similar might be found, or about the fit? I see there are a few left in small, which on their size chart reads 36-38. I'm roughly a 38, but I wouldn't want it too tight. It'd look great under a brown leather jacket.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Ticklishchap likes this.
  10. Ticklishchap

I bought mine from Eastman Leather some years ago but Outdoor Knitwear also now do this excellent jumper.

tropicalbob likes this.
  11. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

12. Ticklishchap

You too Sir!

13. s4rmark

s4rmark One of the Regulars

I bought an Eastman A-1 sweater and went a size down as they are quite baggy. I normally take a 40 but went for a 38.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  14. Musher

Musher One of the Regulars

Ordered a Spanish Army Officers Commando sweater to add to the collection .

Ticklishchap likes this.
  15. Ticklishchap

Have you a link to that? I’d be interested to see what it looks like? May I ask which website or supplier you used?
    Happy New Year by the way.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Musher likes this.
  16. Musher

I bought it on ebay from keepshootingbtparms in Pennsyvania. You should be able to find it on ebay by searching for Spanish Army Officers Commando Sweater. It is new never -issued military surplus . s-l400-4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Edward and Ticklishchap like this.
  17. Musher

Happy New Year! Also you can Google Keep Shooting Spanish Army Officers Commando sweater

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Ticklishchap likes this.
  18. Ticklishchap

Thanks for message and photo. They look good and I must visit the Pennsylvania site and google!

Musher likes this.
  19. Musher

The one I received is a different shade of green but I like it. 20190113_154233.jpg

Ticklishchap likes this.
  20. Ticklishchap

Excelente, Señor. I love it! For some reason I haven’t been aware of this Spanish ‘take’ on the commando sweater.

Musher likes this.