Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
+WBOS%wOTEO1O9U5OHD5pQ.jpg

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
These images (above) have come out sideways for some reason. But they will I hope give some impression of the 1945 WP.

I like it very much in terms of fit, as I think I have said, and of course the historical association. On balance I prefer the cuffs on the more conventional WP.

[I note that the images appear sideways when I view them on my desktop and the right way round on my iPhone! The wonders of technology. ...]

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Great photos and Jersey. (My photos go funny sometimes, as you say, the wonders of technology.)

Thanks! I am going to buy the olive green version of the 1945 as well, but I shall wait until autumn. What do you think about the cuffs as compared to the traditional WP?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thanks! I am going to buy the olive green version of the 1945 as well, but I shall wait until autumn. What do you think about the cuffs as compared to the traditional WP?

As I think I have mentioned before, I have the black and olive green versions of this. I know what you mean about the cuffs though, I suppose that is to make the garment/sleeves last longer, but you can not turn them back like you can on the modern WPs.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As I think I have mentioned before, I have the black and olive green versions of this. I know what you mean about the cuffs though, I suppose that is to make the garment/sleeves last longer, but you can not turn them back like you can on the modern WPs.

The cuffs are quite long on the 1945, which is in many ways a good feature. However the conventional or modern WP’s turn back cuffs are a distinctive and in my view elegant feature. The 1945’s wool is coarser than the standard WP, making it more like a Guernsey (or other type of fisherman’s sweater) in texture. This reflects the era it seeks to recreate and is fine for me as I have quite a few Guernseys. It’s an interesting variant on the WP and I shall enjoy wearing it.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I See OKW have just introduced a new sweater called the Olympic, based on the jerseys as worn by merchant seaman on some of the ocean-liners of yesteryear.

Mmm... It looks very nice, but quite expensive for what it is. It’s also a strange time to launch a sweater when it’s hot and sticky and sweater weather seems far away! I’ll think about it - and look forward to autumn.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I enjoy purchasing sweaters in the summer because you can get good prices from stores looking to get rid of them in place of summer stock.

Yes, I agree with you about that. Last week and the week before were so hot and sticky that it was hard to think about sweaters. Now that we’re halfway through July, autumn/fall seems almost within reach (thank goodness). It’s still going to be hot and probably humid quite often for the next few weeks but at least we’re over the really long days that sap the energy. I really look forward to the mornings and evenings getting cooler once again. It is however now possible to start thinking about sweaters including (as you say) bargains. I shall for example definitely get the olive green version of the 1945 Woolly Pully!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes, I agree with you about that. Last week and the week before were so hot and sticky that it was hard to think about sweaters. Now that we’re halfway through July, autumn/fall seems almost within reach (thank goodness). It’s still going to be hot and probably humid quite often for the next few weeks but at least we’re over the really long days that sap the energy. I really look forward to the mornings and evenings getting cooler once again. It is however now possible to start thinking about sweaters including (as you say) bargains. I shall for example definitely get the olive green version of the 1945 Woolly Pully!

I hear that it may get upto the mid 30s to 40s C. (90-105F) in the next week or so, along with huge thunderstorms, which I am not looking forward to. (I Get up very early and have been wearing WPs until the day warms up.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana