Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Icelandics abound in local consignment/discount shops here but I prefer Celtic knits, so the quest continues.

Try www.blacksheepknitwear.com
They're a Norfolk-based company (Norfolk, UK that is, not Virginia). Very good products. I had one of their Arans (what could be more Celtic?) for years until I grew out of it and I still have one of their Shetlands which I bought a number of years ago. I like the look of their 'Smuggler' by the way.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I hear that it may get upto the mid 30s to 40s C. (90-105F) in the next week or so, along with huge thunderstorms, which I am not looking forward to. (I Get up very early and have been wearing WPs until the day warms up.)

I have been able until very recently to wear WPs early in the morning and late at night. Summer is hellish and next week looks as if it's going to be an inner circle of Hell. ... Bring on the 'season of mists and mellow fruitfulness' (Keats): I can't wait - I even dream about frost!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
A bit warm for me to be thinking about sweaters right now in the Portland, OR - Vancouver, WA area, but this will be my next purchase. https://tinyurl.com/y65fftns

... and while I'm at it probably this one also, https://tinyurl.com/y2oqy33u
Low price being my prime consideration though I'm sure the quality is adequate / good as well.

The Mechanic sweater is very like The US Army Corps of Engineers WW2/Korean War sweater I have, supplied by Eastman Leather, except that my Eastman version is 100% wool rather than cotton. It’s a great sweater but I don’t wear it as often as the conventional Woolly Pullies.
I’ve heard very nice things about Portland and Oregon in general.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
Try www.blacksheepknitwear.com
They're a Norfolk-based company (Norfolk, UK that is, not Virginia). Very good products. I had one of their Arans (what could be more Celtic?) for years until I grew out of it and I still have one of their Shetlands which I bought a number of years ago. I like the look of their 'Smuggler' by the way.

That McQueen they have is so awesome.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That looks nice! How do you like the different style cuffs on the sleeve?

That's a very good question. I really like the feel of the 1945 cuff and the hardness of the yarn: it's different from the more familiar WP and so makes a change. I also like the historical associations, reproduced quite faithfully by OKW (I'm still waiting for that commission from them!).
However I have to say that overall I much prefer the more supple quality of the ribbed wool on the 'standard' WP. Above all I prefer the turn-back or 'double' cuff, which is one of the WP's best features. Wearing the 1945, I actually miss turning back the cuffs!

My very first Army (olive green) WP, in the 1970s (when my addiction to the WP started), had a similar cuff to the 1945. This was the last of an older generation of WPs, between the 1945-style and the present version, which evolved in the late 70s. The following year, when the style changed, I bought a new Army WP with the turn-back cuffs, then Navy and Air Force Blue and never looked back.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thank you, I like the Aran, but it is far too hot to think about sweaters at the moment. I shall be very glad when this hot / humid spell ends and we can get some cooler autumn weather.

I agree. It is hotter than New Delhi in London today. Tomorrow ‘normal’ late July weather returns but I can’t wait for autumn!

ItnStln

New in Town
That's a very good question. I really like the feel of the 1945 cuff and the hardness of the yarn: it's different from the more familiar WP and so makes a change. I also like the historical associations, reproduced quite faithfully by OKW (I'm still waiting for that commission from them!).
However I have to say that overall I much prefer the more supple quality of the ribbed wool on the 'standard' WP. Above all I prefer the turn-back or 'double' cuff, which is one of the WP's best features. Wearing the 1945, I actually miss turning back the cuffs!

My very first Army (olive green) WP, in the 1970s (when my addiction to the WP started), had a similar cuff to the 1945. This was the last of an older generation of WPs, between the 1945-style and the present version, which evolved in the late 70s. The following year, when the style changed, I bought a new Army WP with the turn-back cuffs, then Navy and Air Force Blue and never looked back.
Thanks for the insight! I happened to find this thread when I searched Google to see whatever happened to the Brigade Quartermaster wool sweaters and that's how I learned OKW made them. I too like the turnback cuffs as you can adjust them based on what you're doing.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The weather has now become cooler here in my part of the UK, cool enough to start wearing WPs again :) I am in a Navy Crew neck WP at the moment. I like the traditional Autumnal days, so long as it is not pouring with rain.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks for the insight! I happened to find this thread when I searched Google to see whatever happened to the Brigade Quartermaster wool sweaters and that's how I learned OKW made them. I too like the turnback cuffs as you can adjust them based on what you're doing.
The turn back cuffs are one of the best features of the WP, both from a style point of view and because of their versatility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112