Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Heretic! I am a traditionalist; adhere to belief that the original basic drawing suffices. And modifications which do
not necessarily detract from standard purpose, neither add any utility or value to garment. Epaulets, V-neck cut, and patches 'to be or not to be, that is the question' are indicative of non-martial mindset. Of course, the other coin side can be debated. All in good nature pub discourse whence running the block at Aldershot upon invite to mess, and
getting an earful on the topic by the regimental Sergeant Major.
The earful from the RSM would be interesting. …
I am a traditionalist as well, but also an aficionado of the WP and a bit of a collector.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
When the choice is a WP without patches or no WP at all, the choice is easy–at least for me.
Don’t get me wrong - I like the Patchless versions as well. They resemble an older type of WP. I’m glad OKW introduced them. Originally they were marketed in Japan, where apparently they sell a large number of WPs in all styles and colours.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don’t get me wrong - I like the Patchless versions as well. They resemble an older type of WP. I’m glad OKW introduced them. Originally they were marketed in Japan, where apparently they sell a large number of WPs in all styles and colours.
My message was in response to Foxtrot's comment, not in response to yours. I know you like all versions of them, as do I.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
More British eccentricity.
That’s good; I know we both like all versions of the WP. I didn’t fully understand Foxtrot’s comment: did you?

Yes, it was just Foxtrot being Foxtrot.

Ho, lads. I know I'm bad. Earlier remarks harken an incident wherein the regimental SGM told tale of the Second World War antecedent of the commandos, Lord Lovat and sweater, and he had his scruples that he shared with the initial design concept, civil modifications whatnot.
No intent to start a dustup. Yet his point took. A war sweater has elbow patches, shoulder, light breathable yarn, firm stitch. Men on the move needed a reliable garment that had design anticipation need drawn in. I admired his logical reasoning. He had took measure of the 1917 trench and today the coat appears more often than not a deliberately shorn of true purpose knock off. Pitching a penny for fun.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Is this a good business to purchase from?

https://militaryuniformsupply.com/c...ck-submariners-sweater?variant=11053472907300

i have a couple from LL Bean but would like to have one or two more authentic WP sweaters. Where I live sweater season will be over soon.
This site has the Woolly Pully sweater. Might take a while to get it, and there is no customer service, but it is the real deal.

https://outdoorknitwear.com/en/?gcl...flxok_u5ZwJrBFk7_XwvOU1tPrJ2kdMhoCJCoQAvD_BwE

Peacoat

Bartender
Interestingly, after it took over a month to get the sweater from England, and after futile attempts at getting them to respond to my messages, another sweater, just like the first one, came in the mail yesterday. I'll just keep it as sending it back for a refund would be a hassle. It has a different order number than the first, so I don't know what's up with that. I may now be a member of the Sweater of the Month Club and don't know it.

So, I now have 3 Navy WPs and 1 sage WP. They all are made in England and are of high quality.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Chaps, I have some sad news for you. STEVIEBOY1, a regular contributor to this thread, has passed away. He was in remission from cancer but it unfortunately returned with a vengeance late last year and I’m afraid that he died early this morning. I used to meet him for lunch quite regularly in central London and I shall miss his friendship and dry sense of humour. RIP Steve. Cheers mate.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Terrible news, saddened to learn this. Condolences to his Lounge circle.
Thank you Fox. You are part of his Lounge circle as a new but regular contributor to this thread. I was lucky enough to know him in real life as well as on FL.

Stephen had about as many WPs as I have in my collection.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Oh, I think you and Stevieboy far outrank me on the WPs. I am just a fan; you two are collectors. But yes to keeping it going.
Ah well, you have at least three of them now and collecting them becomes addictive, I can tell you.
I look forward to keeping the thread going.

Peacoat

Bartender
Ah well, you have at least three of them now and collecting them becomes addictive, I can tell you.
I look forward to keeping the thread going.
I have 4 or them, one of which I am going to put on to sit on the deck with my dog, read the paper online and smoke my daily cigar. It's about 50º outside so the WP and a light jacket will keep me warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto