Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
Does anyone has information about this sweater worn by Billy Childish in the following picture? Thanks

cc6cd938126a1c23d13321e1ab3edaa4.jpg

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Childish's sweater is Bretagne, or Breton knit stitched somewhere in Brittany or perhaps coastal Normandy.
His beret is Chasseurs Alpine. His sweater is Celtic fisherman with front panel squared tattoo wall work.
Not quite a plain deal coffin but much less the more elaborate Mick embroidery. Neck flared but not rolled.
A working man's kit more probable an able bodied seaman sweater.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Does anyone has information about this sweater worn by Billy Childish in the following picture? Thanks

View attachment 473335
To be honest, I am not sure whether Mr Childish’s sweater is authentic, hand-knitted, etc. It looks a bit High Street (Main Street) to me. … I like the look of it notwithstanding.

The beret looks genuine however.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I just want approval to tuck sweater into trousers. Seems it would keep you warmer.
Have you a photo of yourself wearing the Woolly Pully in that way? It’s not something that’s ever occurred to me to wear one of my military sweaters that way and it goes against the Cadet Corps training I had years ago.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Have you a photo of yourself wearing the Woolly Pully in that way? It’s not something that’s ever occurred to me to wear one of my military sweaters that way and it goes against the Cadet Corps training I had years ago.
I Have seen some men in the Army wearing their WPs that way in fact, often with a wide striped belt. It does look ok.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yuletide Greetings to my fellow Woolly Pully aficionados.

American aficionados will be needing to wear two WPs on top of each other for the next few days from what I have heard about the weather conditions.

For my part, I am only wearing one WP today: the new Sky Blue version from OKW, or Ukrainian Blue as I call it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yuletide Greetings to my fellow Woolly Pully aficionados.

American aficionados will be needing to wear two WPs on top of each other for the next few days from what I have heard about the weather conditions.

For my part, I am only wearing one WP today: the new Sky Blue version from OKW, or Ukrainian Blue as I call it.
It's not that bad. It was only -1º F when I got up this morning. Could have been worse. No horses or pipes froze, so we are in good shape. When it warms to +10º F (-12º C) and I am on the deck smoking my cigar, I will only wear one WP under my N-3B parka. That combination will keep me plenty warm.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It's not that bad. It was only -1º F when I got up this morning. Could have been worse. No horses or pipes froze, so we are in good shape. When it warms to +10º F (-12º C) and I am on the deck smoking my cigar, I will only wear one WP under my N-3B parka. That combination will keep me plenty warm.
You’re a tough old boy, aren’t you?
Out of interest, which of your WPs?
Happy Christmas .

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Lest you think I was brave and went out into the cold to smoke my cigar this morning, I need to fess up. When I felt the 7º F chill, I chickened out. My body would have been warm, thanks to the WP and the N-3B parka, but my fingers and face would have gotten frost bite during the 1 1/2 hours it would have taken to smoke the cigar. So, I went in to the warmth of the cigar shop with all the other not so brave smokers.

The drive in to town was a bit harrowing as there is still plenty of snow and ice on the back roads. The main roads have been salted to death and are not a real problem.

The owner has my place reserved for tomorrow as well.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Lest you think I was brave and went out into the cold to smoke my cigar this morning, I need to fess up. When I felt the 7º F chill, I chickened out. My body would have been warm, thanks to the WP and the N-3B parka, but my fingers and face would have gotten frost bite during the 1 1/2 hours it would have taken to smoke the cigar. So, I went in to the warmth of the cigar shop with all the other not so brave smokers.

The drive in to town was a bit harrowing as there is still plenty of snow and ice on the back roads. The main roads have been salted to death and are not a real problem.

The owner has my place reserved for tomorrow as well.
It is in these conditions that WPs really come into their own. Here it is still WP weather, but the snow, frost and ice of the first two thirds of the month have gone for the time being to leave typically English grey and damp.
The cigar shop sounds great and I hope it made the drive well worth it. How long are these conditions forecast to continue Stateside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko