Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miss, Mrs. or Madam? The demise of Ms?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
As I am unmarried, and clearly wear no ring, I prefer to be called "Miss." When marital status is unknown, I still think "Ms. Doe" is appropriate. Yeps makes an interesting point. I think "Miss (first name)" is a southern thing. I've taught undergraduates both in New England and here in Florida, and only here did I have a student who refused to call me by my first name. She said it wasn't appropriate, and that she would call me Miss Erin because it showed the proper respect, and she was disappointed that the other students didn't do the same. I didn't understand it at first, but I came to see her point and appreciate it.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
MsStabby said:
Because each person has the right to proclaim one's relationship status, or not; it's not a question of "hiding" it.

Men are allowed one prefix regardless of marital status. Until a few decades ago, women were not. Women (and teen girls of dowry age, ie ~ 13 y.o. further back in history) were titled exclusively by their status as chattel, that is, whether or not they had been married out, hence Miss or Mrs.

Ms. simply provides women, regardless of relationship status, the freedom to be addressed without regard to their existence vis-a-vis a husband. Ms., in my opinion, allows women to be addressed as individuals, the same as Mr. does for men.

Beautifully written. I am without question a Ms, as I don't feel it is anyone's business whether I am married or unmarried, unless I choose to make it someone's business. Anyone addressing me by any other title will be swiftly corrected. I want to have the same freedom as a Mr., in other words. That's all. That said, if the next woman wants to be a Miss or a Mrs. (or a Mr. - one never knows do one?), live and let live I say.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I think it's often quite obvious who to address as Miss or Mrs.

I normally address women significantly older than myself as Ms when I am not aware of their marital status. Even if I know whether they're single or not I will address them as Ms.

I believe that there is a point when you have to stop being called "Miss"

swinggal

One Too Many
Hmmm...I've always called myself 'Ms'. My dad doesn't like it and thinks it should be 'Miss' but to me 'Miss' seems very teenagery for some reason. Can't say if I was married I'd change it to 'Mrs' though. I juts like to be me I guess.

kiltie

Practically Family
I saw a couple of posts referring to it. Miss (first name) still gets used in the South a good deal, at least in the limited circles I grew up around and have associated with.

Buuuut.... Does anyone remember the TV show SLEDGEHAMMER? With the policeman who talked to his gun? There was a line in an episode that makes me chuckle every time I think of it, but referencing it tends to bring blank stares. Throughout the course of the episode, there was a female who insisted on being referred to as Ms.
Sledgehammer would call her Miss Smith and she would correct him, "It's MIZZZZZ". This went on throughout the episode until finally she corrected him one last time, "It's MIZZZ, Mister Hammer," to which he replied, "It's Merrrrrr..."

Ahhhh...cracks me up just thinkin' about it.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
I've never thought about it in just that way, but that's spot-on. I'd feel very awkward calling a woman 30 years older than me "Miss" So-and-so! Maybe if I lived in another time or place, it would be normal, but in modern society it just sounds odd.

Some of our elderly clients are mortified if you call them Mrs instead of Miss! They are maiden ladies and proud of it.

I, on the other hand, am Ms. Mrs is my mother in law, and I don't see why the postman or the bank should know my marital status.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I heard a little kid refer to a vendor as "lady" the other day. As in, "Hey LADY, how much is that candy?" I laughed, what cheek.

I knew a guy in school who couldn't remember people's names, so he called everyone he saw "Tiger" and "Johnny Z." Guys and girls both, interchangable.
He was a hoot.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Bustercat said:
I heard a little kid refer to a vendor as "lady" the other day. As in, "Hey LADY, how much is that candy?" I laughed, what cheek.

I knew a guy in school who couldn't remember people's names, so he called everyone he saw "Tiger" and "Johnny Z." Guys and girls both, interchangable.
He was a hoot.

In Australia, if you can't remember someone's name you call them "Mate".

As in if they say hello to you, you reply "Hi ... mate"

59Lark

Practically Family
WORST TITLES HEY YOU GUYS.

I RUN a small retail and repair shop, and call most customers, mam, madam, miss or mostly can i help you mam, may i help you, good afternoon. miss. may i be of service. I simply gag when some young employess of a restraunt says to my wife and says can i help you guys. Have you =guys decided yet. I simply not ready for stretch of highway.Polite ways of addressing customers have gone out the window for the last two generations. so the next time in a chain restraunt and you hear someone address you . as a guysssssssss grit your teeth with me 59LARK SITHERING IN SOUTHERN ONTARIO CANADA NOW ITS HOT AND WET,ITS :eek:fftopic: OKAY IF YOU ARE WITH A LADY BUT NOT IN THE JUNGLE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran