Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miss, Mrs. or Madam? The demise of Ms?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You may see it used by school teachers here and there, though the Miss Mrs. Ms. seperation usually turns out to be

Miss = single
Mrs. = Married
Ms. = Single

At least it has for 99% of the women I meet. Even Lawyers and the like that I know switch to Mrs. over MS. Once the oath is taken.

Did Ms. go out in the 80's?

KAT

A-List Customer
no girl likes to hear "Fr?§ulein" anymore. And nobody is using it , except for older people.Young women wanna feel mature and think it sounds weird and too old fashioned...maaaaaaan that what its about...:eusa_doh: lol
well i still like and prefer it, It sounds way nicer and I dont want people calling me "Frau"[huh] ..that makes me oldlol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A4ulein

BIS BALD
IHR FR?ÑULEIN KATHARINA B. :rolleyes:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
You may see it used by school teachers here and there, though the Miss Mrs. Ms. seperation usually turns out to be

Miss = single
Mrs. = Married
Ms. = Single

At least it has for 99% of the women I meet. Even Lawyers and the like that I know switch to Mrs. over MS. Once the oath is taken.

Did Ms. go out in the 80's?

Not I! I always use "Ms.", especially in business.

Rosie

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
You may see it used by school teachers here and there,

That is funny, I'm a teacher and I am Ms. Stephens, I would have to say most of the women in my school go by Ms. _________ whether they are married or not. Never thought of it.

I think after I get married, I will use Ms. __________ for work and business but use Mrs. ____________ socially.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I used it right through the 80s and 90s whether single or married. Don't know why I reverted to Mrs with my second husband. I still get the urge to tick Ms on forms. If I search my soul I think I used it because (1) I thought women should be able to keep some privacy about their partnership status, and (2) it also looks so much more assertive than Miss or Mrs, and (3) most men and most women I met hated it - so that meant I just had to use it! :D Sad, I know.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Always Ms.

I always use Ms. unless asked to do otherwise. Especially in correspondance.

Example:

Dear Ms. PrettySquareGal,

When choosing a login name for The Fedora Lounge, it might well have been a more obvious choice to use "Ms. SquarePrettyGal."

Sincerely,

J. Reginald Huffington-Smythe

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never been too comfortable using any of them, to be honest -- about the only time anybody ever called me "Miss" was when my mother was mad at me -- "Don't you talk back to me, Miss Lady!" I never went by Mrs. even when I was married, and I always thought "Ms." sounded forced.

So I don't bother to check off any of those boxes when I'm filling out forms, and I guess if someone wants to be real formal with me, they may bow deeply and say "Madame," while kissing my hand. I could live with that.

Ms. is pronounced Mzz, right. Like bees buzzing bzzz?

I always thought older single ladies used Ms. whereas younger single ladies used Miss. This may just be in the British idiom. When i hear Mzz i think spinster, rather than youthful, unmarried.

My mother used to say that it was pretentious for a young lady to use Mzz. I think she is wrong, but that's certainly her take on the matter.

bk

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I've never been too comfortable using any of them, to be honest -- about the only time anybody ever called me "Miss" was when my mother was mad at me -- "Don't you talk back to me, Miss Lady!" I never went by Mrs. even when I was married, and I always thought "Ms." sounded forced.

So I don't bother to check off any of those boxes when I'm filling out forms, and I guess if someone wants to be real formal with me, they may bow deeply and say "Madame," while kissing my hand. I could live with that.

...And I don't like being called "ma'am" unless it's preceded by "yes."

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I always use Ms. unless asked to do otherwise. Especially in correspondance.

Example:

Dear Ms. PrettySquareGal,

When choosing a login name for The Fedora Lounge, it might well have been a more obvious choice to use "Ms. SquarePrettyGal."

Sincerely,

Mr. Huffington-Smythe

Obvious is not my game. :D But thanks for the thoughtful suggestion. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran