Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miss, Mrs. or Madam? The demise of Ms?

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Mistress / Mrs....

Back when my Grandmother on my Dad's side was alive she would always get her mail:

Mrs. James W. Martin Sr.

I always thought it was Grandpa's Mail and she had to explain to me that "official" mail for a proper married woman would be addressed that way.

Informal mail would be:

Mrs. Mabel Martin

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In Central America and South America, women do not take their husbands' surnames when they marry. Instead, wives keep their own last names, which in fact are two names: the last name of their father, followed by the last name of their mother.

My wife's name is Veronica Parra Lizama. "Parra" is her dad's last name, and "Lizama" is her mom's last name.

While "Miss" ("Senorita") and "Mrs." ("Senora") exist in Spanish, there is no Spanish word for "Ms."

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The first time anybody called me "Sir" was around 1971 or '72.

I wasn't used to airport metal detectors (they had just been introduced) and I walked through one and kept going without noticing that it had gone off. The guard yelled "Sir! Sir!" after me, but I had no idea they were addressing me! I was 10 or 11, fer cryin' out loud!

lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
Are there any polite forms of address when speaking to little boys?

The boy next door is "Butthead."
As in 'No, you may not mow my lawn, but thanks for asking, Butthead."

Are there any polite forms of address when speaking to little girls?

My daughters are "Squeakypeaches" and Graciepickles"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass