Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miss, Mrs. or Madam? The demise of Ms?

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
How very out-of-style of me. I'm a "Ms." Admittedly, I am a teacher though. Very few tachers at my school seem to be doing the Mrs./Miss thing. Maybe they're all divorced!

Rosie

One Too Many
skinnychik said:
How very out-of-style of me. I'm a "Ms." Admittedly, I am a teacher though. Very few tachers at my school seem to be doing the Mrs./Miss thing. Maybe they're all divorced!

See, skinnychik too. You're a perceptive one Matt.

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
Ditto here at IU

Pilgrim said:
In the academic circles I travel in, the use of Ms. is scrupulously and consistently observed. Failure to use it invites correction.

Colorado State are you? I like Ft.Collins. Anyway, Ms. iz still around a lot. To me it is a neutral, ambiguous signifier. I have had this debate with girlfriends. That and taking the man's last name upon marriage. Also, the MWRs out there are very frustrating to single men. MWR? Married Without Ring. Another social convention that seems to be easily put aside now.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedPop4 said:
Well, dear (we say these things down here) there's no other term of respect for ladies, these days.

To me, Miss = young; Ma'am = matron. I suppose that can depend on geography though. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Up here, most any adult woman is liable to be called "dear" -- or, more accurately, "dee-ah" as an honorific. Especially by lunch room waitresses, grocery store clerks, postal workers, and friendly old guys on the street.

It can be unsettling if you didn't grow up hearing it, but I actually think it's kinda sweet.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Bella, if you ever visit Texas, just remember that in that state, any female over 18 is referred to as "Ma'am" by polite sales staff.

Well brought up Texas kids will consistently answer Yes Sir and No Sir, and Yes Ma'am and No Ma'am.

RedPop4

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Up here, most any adult woman is liable to be called "dear" -- or, more accurately, "dee-ah" as an honorific. Especially by lunch room waitresses, grocery store clerks, postal workers, and friendly old guys on the street.

It can be unsettling if you didn't grow up hearing it, but I actually think it's kinda sweet.
That is DEFINITELY how it's intended down here.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Rats

LizzieMaine said:

I thought the waitress at the Wiskasset Lobster House had a thing for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland