Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mistakes You've Made with Vintage Clothes.

Edward

Bartender
Measurements....

... specifically, never take a seller's word for it if you are in even the slightest doubt. I've two or three times bought thigs on eBay sold as a size 42", when what the seller means is that the underarm measurment of the closed jacket is 42".... Frustrating to say the least. Luckily, I'm pretty good at checking photos for moth damage, so I've never been tempted by that nice early fifties db suit on the 'Bay.... the one that is exactly my size but the trousers are moth eaten beyond salvaging. That suit crops up every couple of weeks, and the seller still wants GBP100 for it!! :eusa_doh:

pablocham said:
One more thing, given a choice between buying a piece of real vintage, especially shoes, jeans, flight jackets, and workwear, and spending the same or a little bit more for a high quality reproduction (i.e. made in japan, shoes boots made in USA), I will choose the reproduction because I am much more likely to wear it without worrying about harming it.

And a fellow Cretin says... Amen to that!

Patience, and lack thereof

Bought a grey flannel suit -- late '40s/early '50s -- that came close to fitting without alterations. Woo hoo! But in the bright light of day a yellowish dinginess became apparent. Nothing to do about it short of dyeing it, according to every cleaner and other knowledgeable person I consulted.

Nice early '40s vintage coat. It fits, looks great on me. Bought it on the spot. Closer examination revealed half a dozen or so moth holes. Still usable, for sure, but reweaving would likely cost more than I paid for the garment.

Cooked a sweatband or two. Stretched a hat or three I now wish I hadn't.

There's more, but the common thread is a lack of due diligence. That "gotta have this, right now/gotta do that, right now" part of the brain comes to the fore and the "better think about this" part shuts down.

There's something to be said for impulsiveness, but there's more to be said against it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Edward said:
... what the seller means is that the underarm measurment of the closed jacket is 42"....

And even then, you have to subtract 2 to 3 inches from that number in order to calculate the approximate size. A jacket whose chest measures out at 42 inches is most probably a size 39 ... or, if the jacket has an "English drape" cut, the size could even be a 38.

Also, make certain you know (or find out) the width of the jacket across its waist section. Some extreme drape jackets --even those in small sizes and with narrow waist sections-- have lots of width at the chest. In short, don't rely on the jacket's chest width alone. Get the seller to measure the waist section's width.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I've turned a sweat into bacon on an old stetson royal deluxe. I also stretched my grand grandfathers Open Road a few years back and split the band at the seam. I also sprayed it with Scout for light colors not knowing then it was for hats that were white, is much lighter now... It needs to go to Art soon to be reblocked and re-ribboned.
Bought a super neat early 40's Kuppenheimer blue suit jacket not noticing fading on the upper shoulder and arm for more than I should've back before I knew my stuff.
Sent a old light dingy grey McGregor rayon shirt to the dry cleaners and it came back as a natural linen color, which is actually quite nice and one of my favorites.

Haven't destroyed anything else.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
...There's more, but the common thread is a lack of due diligence. That "gotta have this, right now/gotta do that, right now" part of the brain comes to the fore and the "better think about this" part shuts down.

There's something to be said for impulsiveness, but there's more to be said against it.

I'm often the opposite. With a very limited checkbook I've passed up many incredible things in the name of saving money/being stingy (though there's something to be said for being thrifty) only to kick myself later. Often when I go back a couple days later the item is gone.

Though, I was lucky with these NOS hollywood trousers that were still there when I returned a month later:
NOS1950sHollywoodtrousers001-1.jpg

For some odd reason I get a guilty feeling when I spend 'a lot' of money (that's relative, but for me a lot of money is $50+). I don't know why and I'm a good little capitalist, but it always stays with me for a day or two, reminding me that the money could have been saved for a better use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ