Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister Freedom Campus jacket review: A nice jacket with both design flaws and construction defects

mumpy

A-List Customer
I have one in size 38 in natural (bought it last year) and have no issues with the buttons. Pockets are practically useless though, both placement and size.

That said, I really like the jacket/hide. It is developing great character.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Great review Marc! I had similar issues with this jacket. I originally bought it through a Danish MF supplier in CPH. Initially I was happy about the jacket, although I did have issues with the pockets being too small. I wore it for a few days and I noticed how hard it was to button this jacket. Then this happened:

5FA6ABF3-4A7F-4BCC-8C75-B1B62D729EA2.jpeg

The thread around the buttons holes just started to come undone and it felt like all the buttons holes had the same issues.

I wrote MF and they apologised and sent me a new jacket. I applaud the customer service. It was next level really.

I then received the new jacket and as soon as I unbuttoned it the thread on that jacket started coming undone as well. You can probably imagine how frustrating that was. So I mail them again and they sent me a return label, so I could ship the new jacket back.

We email back and forward and they told me that the two jackets I had received, probably belonged to a faulty batch were some workers had carelessly tried to make the button holes bigger with box cutters. By doing that they probably damaged the thread on many of the jackets.

I ended up getting my money back, and again I applaud the MF customer service, but I was very disappointed because I really liked the style of the jacket. Instead I went ahead and asked Theodoros from Thedi if he could make a similiar jacket, so I went ahead and ordered a custom Cossack jacket in teacore Bruciato horsehide from him. Can’t wait to receive it!

This is how the MF Campus Stallion looked on me:

5A48D819-AFBE-4EBB-9DB0-1B9D1C93BF6B.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
they told me that the two jackets I had received, probably belonged to a faulty batch were some workers had carelessly tried to make the button holes bigger with box cutters.
Maybe they set up the button hole machine with the wrong settings with tiny button holes being the result? Mine's probably from the same batch.

I wrote MF and they apologised and sent me a new jacket.
That's indeed excellent customer service from MF.
This is how the MF Campus Stallion looked on me:

5A48D819-AFBE-4EBB-9DB0-1B9D1C93BF6B.jpeg
That's a great looking jacket, totally badass. There's no arguing with that.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Maybe they set up the button hole machine with the wrong settings with tiny button holes being the result? Mine's probably from the same batch.
Probably something like that. Must be frustrating for MF to have that happen honestly. It’s a great brand and I really like their stuff. I think yours is from the same batch too. I did look at a few Campus Natural and they didn’t seem to have the same issue. Also the stitching around button holes looked waaay better.

That's a great looking jacket, totally badass. There's no arguing with that.

It really is man! Looks badass on you as well!

Powerband

Practically Family
Thanks for the review! I had two in naked hide and loved them.

I do agree about the hand-warmer pockets being for only the hands of garden gnomes and trolls. I almost dislocated both my elbows once trying to pull my hands out, and thereafter regarded the pockets as useful for only stashing troll biscuits and wooden teeth. I can imagine walking down the wrong street at the wrong time with my hands in my pockets and a cop yelling at me to “show your hands!” I‘d be fu*ked.

So, troll biscuits only for the pockets.

Leigh H

Practically Family
Slightly unfair to compare the MF cowhide leather to your horsehide jackets.

Cowhide will never be as shiny.

I agree about the pocket sizes, the jacket being so short in length and the pockets so high up it's quite a challenge to even get your hands in that high up anyway, more for the look than function. They can hold your keys :)

I don't own the stallion but i've always liked how it ages over time.

L2IKWjU.jpg
fFCIDUe.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Slightly unfair to compare the MF cowhide leather to your horsehide jackets.

Cowhide will never be as shiny.
Whether it's cow horse or goat is not indicative for how a processed hide will look (except for the grain). What matters is the way it is processed. That's why I compared the MF Campus (which is vegetable tanned with topcoat) to other vegetable tanned leather jackets, some with topcoat some without (=full aniline).

Think of Badalassi, vegetable tanned cowhide with all the color depth one can wish for.

Here's an example of shiny cow :) (not Badalassi)

F1E621E0-7AED-4512-907A-ED62F87FF361.jpeg
E328C69D-5E47-4E5D-93EA-FD7075554FC5.jpeg

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Great review, Marc thank you! I don't own a campus jacket but the MF "Ringo". I believe it's made from the same leather as the Campus. I agree with you, the leather has a dull optic. But like you did with some TLC and Urad, this can change the appearance of the leather tremendously. For my part, I appreciate owning a leather jacket with a slightly different look. I can also say, the MF "Ringo" has no flaws and is my most comfortable jacket ever.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
For my part, I appreciate owning a leather jacket with a slightly different look.
Good point. Each leather has its own pros and cons. I really like the suppleness of the MF full grain cowhide, it feels like wearing a shirt. I love the thick sleeve rolls, not something you'd expect from lightweight and supple cowhide.

I don't own a campus jacket but the MF "Ringo"
Such a cool design. A cossack (shawl collar), type I (buckle back), type II (two patch pockets) all-in-one.

I think I want one :)

May I ask what size you wear and what the ptp and hem width are on yours?

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Good point. Each leather has its own pros and cons. I really like the suppleness of the MF full grain cowhide, it feels like wearing a shirt. I love the thick sleeve rolls, not something you'd expect from lightweight and supple cowhide.

Such a cool design. A cossack (shawl collar), type I (buckle back), type II (two patch pockets) all-in-one.

I think I want one :)

May I ask what size you wear and what the ptp and hem width are on yours?
Picture is from May this year. I was then 76 kgs (168 lbs) by 180 cm (5'11").

P2P is 54 cm (21.25") and hem width is 48 cm (18.9").

MF Ringo.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk