Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister Freedom Denim Mechanic Utility Trousers

Edward

Bartender
These loook nice! 8oz sounds very light indeed; I expect they're not far off feeling like linen?

all of Mr. Freedom's trousers are lower in the rise than the period they are inspired by... see also the trousers in the Apache collection inspired by 1930s French workwear.
it's very similar to the way RRL will copy authentic details on trousers but always lower the rise; a concession to modern taste.

Always seems an odd idea to me... I looked at an RRL suit at one point and it was beautiful, but the too-low waist was a deal breaker in the end. I don't get why they go to the effort of making something that would be so keyed to a niche market, and then wimping out on one core detail like that..... I guess they must know what they're doing (maybe.... way I hear it RRL is a loss-maker that's kept in the black by the parent brand?), but I just struggle to imagine who is the target customer that wants an almost perfect 30s suit look, except for the waistline...?

It's not something I'll be repeating any time soon, that's for sure. Though if it'd done any overt damage on a single short tumble, I'd have had to question the quality of the trousers.
At least they behaved in the way MF said they would, unlike Levi's and their horrible 1878 Pantaloons. I ordered the right size to shrink down, but on arrival they were clown-pant massive. Followed the soak/shrink instructions to a tee, but they were still way too big. Never again!

Shrink-to-vanity-fit? There's got to be a market for that....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
These look nice! 8oz sounds very light indeed; I expect they're not far off feeling like linen?

MF list it as 9.7oz, which is light, but it's not thin, like Levi's denim feels. It's got a soft-ish hand but will definitely developing a strong look, with the indigo wearing through. Very comfortable to wear in this weather, that's for sure.

Always seems an odd idea to me... I looked at an RRL suit at one point and it was beautiful, but the too-low waist was a deal breaker in the end. I don't get why they go to the effort of making something that would be so keyed to a niche market, and then wimping out on one core detail like that..... I guess they must know what they're doing (maybe.... way I hear it RRL is a loss-maker that's kept in the black by the parent brand?), but I just struggle to imagine who is the target customer that wants an almost perfect 30s suit look, except for the waistline...?

It's the hedging of bets. I guess they think that most people like the idea of a vintage look, but the reality of it is too much.

Shrink-to-vanity-fit? There's got to be a market for that....

:D

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last night as I was wandering around the net I came across a company in Britain called Oldfield Clothing that makes '20's and 30's style trousers, caps, shirts, etc. As I don't recall ever having heard of them, I thought someone here must know them. Some of their stuff looks very nice: in fact, they have a tweed 8-panel cap that I flipped over, but, as usual, none in my size.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Oldfield Clothing: I looked at their site and I was not impressed by the trousers. 'British' trousers with pleats facing in a very un-British direction. And the workwear trousers appeared to be quite a slim cut.
They just look like modern trousers.
Knitwear looks better, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR