Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mixed fashion statement question.....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to bring this one to the masses.....just something I have wanted to do myself and thought I would toss it out on the field to see if it gets hit with a bat, or shot with a 12 gauge! LOL! I appreciate being well dressed at all times out of the house and at times in the home as well. The summers here in Michigan have been reaching some very record highs the past few years and I am certain it will be a trend again this summer....so...here in my thoughts....overalls...bib overalls being worn with a nice thin ribbon fedora, work shoe oxford lace up (more than likely red wings) and a dress shirt, perhaps a Zegna striped shirt with french cuffs that require cuff links. I have a really sharp looking set of cuff links that are vintage, they have a miniature pick axe in one, shovel in another, are set in some clear resin with a black back ground but the miniature tools are 24K gold and there are small chunks of gold nuggets all suspended around them. The tie clasp that came with the set has a pan for panning gold in it. My thoughts are to be comfortable, and as I think bib type overalls are indeed comfortable, it would allow me to have a mixture of wearing something just a bit different than what anyone else around my neck of the woods would be wearing, without my having to be dressed to such a point where I am roasting with the sport coats...I do wear silk shirts and shorts, but really not very often. I am already sure I do not "conform" to what is typical attire, however, I also think wearing such a dress shirt minus a tie, cuff links, bib overalls, and a fedora, would put me in a classification that may mortify some, to say the least. I do plan on finding out, and wanted some input. I would not desire to wear some shirts with bib overalls that have no collar, I am not a fan of the "t shirt" collar shirts that appear to be long underwear, just not what I wear, and do not own any shirts like that. Oh yes, I do have t shirts, but would not wear any with the bib overalls. So...toss rocks or give praise, any input would be welcome and any suggestions for what to wear to match up the bib overalls would also be appreciated. Thanks!

RBH

Bartender
Here is a shot of me Tom and BobC. Me and tom are wearings bibs with our Borsalinos and I believe Bob is wearing a VS.

monteagle2010119.jpg

So quick answer is yes it will work... but that would depend on where you are planning on wearing them I would think.

As you can see the cat behind us is wearing shorts with his felt.
While I wear shorts in the summer...it is with a straw hat.

The concept of dress clothes mixed with bib overalls is one seen in poor areas.

I associate it with down South and the great depression.

In many rural places farmers wore what they had for Sunday Divine Service you wear your best and if you don't own a suit, you wore what was clean. So it was something that was seen but not well accepted on a universal basis.

It was rare in most areas and not seen as an ideal situation for standard dress. I think that few people today will understand the concept so you may get some unwanted feedback depending on how vocal an area you live in.

It will be an intersting experiment, good luck and have fun with it.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Here is a shot of me Tom and BobC. Me and tom are wearings bibs with our Borsalinos and I believe Bob is wearing a VS.

monteagle2010119.jpg

So quick answer is yes it will work... but that would depend on where you are planning on wearing them I would think.

As you can see the cat behind us is wearing shorts with his felt.
While I wear shorts in the summer...it is with a straw hat.

Thank you so very much, yep, I can see it would work for me. I am a fashion nut for sure, but I appreciate being comfortable now more than ever. You all look just great in what you are wearing in this picture. The shorts for me mean as they do for you, straw or panama....geez a felt hat with shorts just would be like wearing a bathing suit with a neck tie....hahaha lol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The concept of dress clothes mixed with bib overalls is one seen in poor areas.

I associate it with down South and the great depression.

In many rural places farmers wore what they had for Sunday Divine Service you wear your best and if you don't own a suit, you wore what was clean. So it was something that was seen but not well accepted on a universal basis.

It was rare in most areas and not seen as an ideal situation for standard dress. I think that few people today will understand the concept so you may get some unwanted feedback depending on how vocal an area you live in.

It will be an intersting experiment, good luck and have fun with it.

Thanks, I am not always a "conformer" when it comes to my attire. However I do think where I live it would work. I am in a ghost town of the 1940's presently and travel to the town next to where I live now, (just moved from that place to where I am currently residing) and the past seems to be relished in both places. The vintage shops and motif of what the store fronts appear, tend to dip into attending the past more than the present. There is still an active horse and carriage firm that provide several teams of horses and carriages and buggies to drive folks around, a play house along with a walk in theater, a few outside table cafe spots, museums from the past postal services, war museums, etc. As what I call a small yet very colorful down town areas, and even a few grain mills, railway stations, etc. The pictures that RBH posted, actually give me some comfort as to what wearing a shirt would look like with my thin ribbon hats. Woooot! lol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My great grandfather all the time wore bib overalls, I do not think even one time he was wearing any other clothing from my memory of him, he also had what is called an engineer hat and wore that more than not. He did have a bowler hat, a derby, and a few straw hats as well. His car was an old willies jeep.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Here's a suggestion. For super hot weather, why not a lightweight 100% linen suit topped with a fine Panama hat or perhaps even a sola toppee or pith helmet, along with a very lightweight breathable linen shirt. Dress like the colonial era brits! :D

An american style alternative is a nice lightweight seersucker suit. Very nice in the heat.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you for your suggestions, I do own several summer weight suits and sports jackets, light weight silk and cotton blend dress trousers, and a variety of light weight shirts both long and short sleeve. What I am reviewing in my thoughts are that to have to iron and them get all of those clothing on, the layers, and to be that "dressed up" at times is just not too comfortable. Sure to wear suit or sports coat that is light weight looks dashing and all, but just so much effort and at times a bit to "roasty toasty". This past summer was a record for my area in more than one way. We had plus 90 through 95 heat for a few months in a row, no rain, it literally cooked most of the crops, apples, corn, cherries, wheat, beans, etc., and then that weather was doing the same to me.....far to "roasty toasty". I can and do wear some very nice shorts, loose silk vintage Nat Nast shirts, but want to have a more easy casual look that I can just dress and keep it both comfortable and simple.

Keeping that in mind, I thought, geez, I could wear some bib overalls, with a dress shirt, not doing the button up all the way on the shirt, wear a rather nice striped shirt, some casual leather lace up oxford shoes, ( I own perhaps a few dozen oxford lace up shoes, including never worn red wing shoes that I have been in a desire to finally wear) and felt they would look just great with some bib overalls. I do have a few summer hats that are panama and straw, so I have my head gear basically in order on the shelf now waiting for launch time. Felts for now, and into the spring, and on some hot summer days or evenings lighter felts and a mix of straws or panama hats.

We are really merely entering the winter months now here in Michigan, but since being "here" on the lounge, I have slowed down my life in many areas (some due to having some serious health issues) which now allows me to have more focus on plans for what to wear in advance. I have actually over spent on a few summer weight suits and sports jackets and trousers. Thank you kindly for your input.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I like the look, but wouldn't denim per se be too warm, especially bibs with the extra cloth at the chest? Why not wear linen or fresco trousers and an open-weave shirt with a loop collar?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I like the look, but wouldn't denim per se be too warm, especially bibs with the extra cloth at the chest? Why not wear linen or fresco trousers and an open-weave shirt with a loop collar?

I am sure I will toss a few things into the line up per what I may be doing from day to day. I would not be wearing any one thing over another too often, for sure. I do have a pair of linen trousers, as in addition to many cotton/silk blends and many light weight dress trousers that are all very appropriate for summer use. I would however desire to toss into the mix, the bib overalls....when it reaches some of the very warm parts of the summer, unless a person was totally "peeled to the bone" of clothing, no matter what is being worn,it is going to be hot and humid. At that point merely being comfortable and not have to worry about being fussy with a "proper" starched clothing item will be a blessing. As it is, for years I have been far too fussy about my summer attire. So for this upcoming year, I am already planning ahead to have things ready for comfort. If they made a portable cold air conditioner one could merely "pull" on some contraption next to you, you could bet I would be the first in line to obtain one!

Oh...and thank you so much for your input!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Here's a suggestion. For super hot weather, why not a lightweight 100% linen suit topped with a fine Panama hat or perhaps even a sola toppee or pith helmet, along with a very lightweight breathable linen shirt. Dress like the colonial era brits! :D

An american style alternative is a nice lightweight seersucker suit. Very nice in the heat.

I have seen a few Pith helmets, never had one on yet. Are they "cool" or just decent to wear?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I just think it is a good option for dress, and a comfortable one as well. One thing I also like about most bib overalls, they have some extra pockets on them. That is a big plus for me, I have two cell phones that I do carry, and am always carrying around extra items that can find good use of a pocket or two!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I believe that there may be an old thread about this. I walked to Abrams Falls at Smoky Mountain National Park back in 1994 with the kids. We were going about the same speed as a 70 year old (plus) with his wife and kids. He was wearing a fedora, startched bib overalls, a starched white shirt, wing tips, and a black or tweed sport coat (it was SUNDAY). He was chain smoking the el cheapo GPC cigarettes, and he and the wife (flowered dress and sensible shoes with purse) kept having to wait on the kids (in their late 40's.). Never tried it myself.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters