Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing and matching materials. Any general guidelines or Faux pas??

justanuthercap

New in Town
I'm still woefully poor at matching colors/patterns when it comes to sportcoat/pants/shirt pairings. But, I have my wife to steer me in the right direction there.

But, as the title says, are there any guidelines or do's/dont's for trying to match different materials? I've found it much easier to find vintage separate jackets and pants, so I thought this would be a good question to ask here.

Not mixing plaids, checks, herringbones, houndstooths or tweeds is, in general, a good guide to follow

I don't know, I have a wool plaid tie that I wear with a herringbone sports coat, and it looks pretty good. Of course, I keep the rest of my outfit pretty subtle as to not provide too much conflict. I always just follow how 'formal' the setting is or the materials are; I try to only wear silk ties with wool suits, for example, and I have a few cotton slacks that I wear with my sports coats or blazers.

Quixote

New in Town
I don't know, I have a wool plaid tie that I wear with a herringbone sports coat, and it looks pretty good. Of course, I keep the rest of my outfit pretty subtle as to not provide too much conflict. I always just follow how 'formal' the setting is or the materials are; I try to only wear silk ties with wool suits, for example, and I have a few cotton slacks that I wear with my sports coats or blazers.

I think it's about not mixing two different plaids, or two different checks, or two different tweeds. Sounds more logical to me that way.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes you can get away with combining stripings. Suit plus shirt, even suit plus tie is common, but usually not great-looking, just okay.

What you really want to avoid in stripes is two sets about the same width running the same direction. Don't want to wear a striped shirt with, say, seersucker. I see this a lot, in season. It grates on me.

A clashing look sends a signal to the brain saying, "These 2 things should be the same kind of thing," alongside another signal saying, "They're not." The best analogy is visual dissonance.

Sometimes colors can clash because they're too similar. Solid navy-blazer blue and solid black make you look like you only own one coat and one pair of pants.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Know the rules before deciding to break them. ;)

Well said. But also take into account that rules are for fools. Most patterns can be worn together if done tastefully. There is also no limit to the number of patterns which can be worn together providing it looks right. I've worn a windowpane check suit, pinstriped waistcoat, pinstriped shirt and paisley tie before and it worked despite breaking conventional fashion rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner