Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing Eras

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Rachael said:
considering that I'm sitting here wearing a pair of loafers from the mid-90's, a sweater I've had since '05, jeans I bought yesterday, and my hair in a back knot, I'm gonna say that mixing eras is no problem at all!

If the average person can't afford to be wearing exclusively today's styles, with all of our low-cost disposable garment lines, you bet they couldn't do so in eras past. I find myself dressing backwards as I get older, since the older you are the less likely you would be to look like a fashion plate.

*BUMP*

Well said! You can't tell me that a woman in 1949 wouldn't wear a dress that she'd had since 1939 if it still fit and hadn't worn out! She would surely just update her accessories and maybe alter the sleeves or something. And if a woman's husband liked her hair long in the 1920s, she would probably keep it long and not have a fashionable short cut, even if she wore fashionable dresses. I can't believe people are really that different now than they were 100 years ago. There may even (horror! ) have been people who didn't care about clothes...

December

One of the Regulars
I definitely mix eras and I prefer that.

As has been said many a time, people didn't get rid of everything they owned and buy new stuff every January. My Grandma still wears jewellery from the 70s, clothes from the 80s and her hair hasn't changed since the 40s (except for turning silver!).

The one thing I try to get "authentic" is my hair. I like to have my hair the same or a later time period than my clothes. For example, I wouldn't wear victory rolls with a 60s mini dress. But I might wear a beehive with a dress from the 50s. I tend to think that, even today, people might wear clothes from a few years ago but they do tend to change their hair (I don't know many people who still wear 80s bubble perms!)- although, as the example of my Grandma shows, that's not always the case!

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I say wear what makes you feel best. I like the '40s. I have ridiculously straight hair that refuses to curl into a lot of the traditional '40s styles, so I usually have a chin-length bob with eyebrow-skimming bangs, although I've finally grown my hair out long enough so I can attempt victory rolls. While I usually carry a vintage purse, most of my clothes aren't actual vintage. I choose things with vintage elements and I wear enough red so I'm occasionally described as, "Oh, you know...the tall one with the red..."

I pick things that I find flattering, regardless of the era they come from.

When I get dressed, I'm aiming for, "Wow, you look pretty today," rather than, "What a lovely recreation of fashion from 1944." That being said, I'm guessing the folks who DO meticulously dress to reflect one specific era do so because those are the clothes and accessories that make them feel best. I simply don't have the attention to detail to be able to pull it off, but greatly respect those who can.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
There may even (horror! ) have been people who didn't care about clothes...

lol :eusa_clap
I've said it before, I'll say it again -- my grandma had THREE dresses total in the 40s made from feedsacks. Fashion probably wasn't her first priority.

My answer to this is still the same only I have a late 1930s pincurl/fingerwave 'do going on now.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Lady Day said:
Neither.

Im sure only the rich and super fashion conscious did. You wore what you had, and you may have wanted a different item, it wasnt in the budget.

So do it. No one will think you dont know what youre doing. Youll be just as super cute.

LD

I with Lady Day here, unless they were rich items clothes in the main would have only been replaced when they wore out , thus they would be a element of era mixing and adding in items passed down from others, clothes today are cheeper then they ever been relativly to income.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart