Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern 1920's-40's era style wool overcoat?

Ginandtonic

New in Town
Hello All,
Im new to the forum, and I don't know what this type of overcoat is called or where to get one.... As well as what color? What would go with any suit or a pair of jeans.

I would like to find something that is timeless and is quality made, and hopefully won't break the bank as im currently in college and funds are very tight (I guess im asking that you do not recommend a $1000 overcoat).

I currently wear a multi-colored ski jacket made by North-Face for Blizzards and snowy weather, I'd like to get something more traditional and timeless. I live in Iowa and in the dead of winter it can get -20F bellow zero here.

So where should I look to find a warm, wool, classic looking overcoat?
And what color should I get, so it can be paired with jeans or a suit or pants and a nice shirt?

Also, If I measure a 40 inches for my chest, would I pick up a 40S (Im 5'6 pretty short) or would I add 2 42S (Or 42R) for room for a suit and or sweaters?

Sorta like this I guess:
road-to-perdition-7.jpg

4173269884_cfc214d363.jpg

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
You could always go for a vintage peacoat.
They're inexpensive, very warm, with classic styling that goes well with jeans
or khakis.
I also think the shorter length is better for everyday use, like getting in and out of cars,
sitting in the classroom when it's too chilly to takk it off etc
See Peacoat's sticky thread at the top of this forum for info.
Lenny

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep, thrift shops. These jackets (woolen topcoats) are everywhere, even in Australia. $30- $50 US should get you something decent (1960's to 1980's). Just never wear that North Face sad looking hiking shit again.... :)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, thrift shops. These jackets (woolen topcoats) are everywhere, even in Australia. $30- $50 US should get you something decent (1960's to 1980's). Just never wear that North Face sad looking hiking shit again.... :)
Now now. A recent trip to REI and North Face outlet was very interesting. A lot of these outdoors manufacturers are
starting to make vintage-inspired items. One women's jacket by Mountain Hardware had a back belt and other vintage
features. If it keeps him alive in -20F, it's not all bad.

The other obvious source is eBay. For reasons I don't fully understand, wool and even cashmere topcoats/overcoats
are undervalued on eBay. By "undervalued" I mean that they lose a lot more of their value than other clothing items
on eBay, compared to their original purchase price, providing they are not recognized "it" brands.
I suggest you go to your local store and try on a few of those $1000 overcoats, decide what you like
and get a good idea of the size you want, then spend a few weeks on eBay. You should come up with
something outstanding. Remember that tailoring a little bit isn't that expensive.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Vintage overcoats are generally dirt cheap. I don't think I've ever spent more than $45 shipped on one, and these things are heavy.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thank you for your replies. As for color, what color would you recommend? Black or Tan? Does it matter?

I lean toward a charcoal or a dark gray. I have a navy, a charcoal and a gray. The charcoal gets the most wear. It goes with all of my suits and sports coats. I agree with the above posts about the availability of vintage overcoats at a low price, and Wolfe's comment about sizing--buy your regular suit coat size.

If you are wanting an overcoat to wear informally--to class, etc.--I don't think what you are considering is necessarily the best selection. These coats are made to be worn over a suit or a sport coat. IMO they just don't look right being worn sans a jacket. For one thing they droop and are baggy without the underlying coat. I doubt you will be wearing a jacket and a tie to class. I never did. Plus they just aren't as warm as other alternatives, for several reasons.

A vintage overcoat will work fine with a suit or sport coat underneath, but you will need something else for those occasions when you aren't wearing a suit coat under it. I think OneEyeMan has an excellent suggestion above. A vintage 100% wool peacoat will get you through some cold winter days and nights; you will need all the warmth you can get.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

One further word of advice. If you decide to go with the coat shown in your first picture above, please don't put your finger on the trigger of your .45 until you are ready to squeeze it; bad things can, and will happen!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Although I have a couple of modern cold weather 3/4 length jackets, I dont find them as emotionally-comfortable as old-fashioned wool overcoats.

Many years ago, I had found two wool overcoats at NYC flea markets. Paid maybe $30 - 35 for each of them. They were single breasted, knee-length herringbone, one black and gray and one black and brown.

About 4 or 5 years ago I found a dark blue, double breasted calf length over coat at a thrift store. Cost me maybe $40 or 50. I love this coat - its like being wrapped in a form fitting blanket, but with room to move.

With second-hand stuff, youre almost always gonna find imperfections. You have to decide how much/many is acceptable to you for the price, or at all.

Generally, I like darker colored coats and jackets. I find them to be interchangeable between outfits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24