Modern Day Style Icons

Discussion in 'Suits' started by herringbonekid, May 11, 2014.

1. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

I've been impressed with the shots that have hit tumblr this time. Lots of stuff I'd wear. Seems like proper proportion is being rediscovered. Waistbands are rising - but the ties still seem too long and draggy.

And I'd say Wooster has about one outfit in four I really like. The "short suit" craze that he seems to be endorsing in full looks ridiculous on someone with such distinguished gray hair though. More appropriate for a six year old.

2. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

yes, lots of vinspiration (sorry) among the fashionistas at the moment; bow ties, two tone shoes, hats, pleated patch pockets.
    must be all that Boardwalk Empire and Gatsby influence in the air.

the long ties thing is a bit of an Italian craze.

3. earl

earl One of the Regulars

Clothes are nice. Am on the fence about the beard. Admittedly, am not a fan of longish beards anyway, but not sure I think they look right with suits. Like that overcoat. Bought 1 closely resembling that many years ago in a thrift store, though mine is slate grey with widely spaced pencil thin red window pane stripes. Earl

4. herringbonekid

i bumped into Michael Haar today in Hastings and said hello and that i recognised him from various blogs. it was a rather brief conversation as he had no idea who i was.
    very strange coincidence as he's probably my favourite from 'I am Dandy' (i don't have the book but i hear he's in there) and i was meaning to post him in this thread.
    so here he is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

photos by the Sartorialist.

5. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

His boots look good.

6. Papperskatt

Papperskatt Practically Family

Very handsome and stylish guy.

7. Denton

Denton One of the Regulars

How do you feel about Robert Crumb?

[​IMG]

He isn't exactly a style icon for me, more of an admonition. There are days when I make a dreadful miscalculation, and end up looking like him. People on the street always let me know, "Hey, Robert Crumb!" It's hard to take that as a compliment.

There are numerous unflattering images of him online. The worst tend to be his own self-portraits.

[​IMG]

However, he does have a consistent, distinctive way of dressing that combines elements of style from different periods. His relationship to the past seems complicated. His style of dress is old-fashioned, but he and his art are clearly products of the counter-cultural 1960s, and he despises the mass culture (including fashions) of any period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the whole, his personal style seems to work pretty well for him. He always looks like his natural self, never like an icon of himself, if that makes sense. The beard in the first picture also seems like a good idea. Fills out his face somewhat. Maybe I should try that! So maybe he is a positive icon for me after all.

Attached Files:

8. herringbonekid

there's probably little in Crumb's wardrobe that us vintage-obsessives would get excited over, but he has his own vintage-inspired look which works for him and for that he should be applauded.

9. Papperskatt

I like the style of Dutch artist and artisan Julien Landa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. herringbonekid

self confessed RRL addict i see.

i'm not a fan of the jeans though. too low rise.

11. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Barry Humphreys, comedian who recently played the Goblin king in The Hobbit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think he wears hats exceedingly well and his dress sense reminds me somewhat of Jean Gabin's.
    Note how he has double breast patch pockets on most of his jackets.

12. smoothsailor

smoothsailor One of the Regulars

I find this man very refreshing with a lot of style

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. zzzbrod

zzzbrod New in Town

those last pics are pretty funny..but there are quite a lot of style icons today..just look at the celebrities..but of course they do have hired stylists.

14. kwitie

kwitie New in Town

Covet the fair isle....

15. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

He has always dressed vintage style or flamboyant style.

16. Papperskatt

17. Evan Everhart

Evan Everhart A-List Customer

He was looking Great (totally 1930s vibe going), and then.....Those EXCRUTIATING CLIP ON SUSPENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY?!

18. Evan Everhart

Evan Everhart A-List Customer

Over-all vibe is alright, but the jackets all look cheap as all get out; flimsy structure; no interlining where needed, home-made looking lapels, and yes, bad pocket applications and styling. The belt under the vest is unfortunate too.