Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern "Grizzly" Jackets?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Baloo is what pulled me in a few years ago. I bought one during some holiday sale. I’m 6’1.5”, and the size 42 fit me really well. That said, I didn’t care for the matte black leather treatment—it looked like it was painted on with my kids’ water colors. There was no depth whatsoever. The mouton looked like a hastily done grown-out hair dye treatment, too. All in all, I thought it paled in person in comparison to how it’s photographed, so I sold it. It didn’t help either that I could barely squeeze my hands, which are not huge by any means, into the pockets.

I’ve since commissioned a beautiful russet Badalassi/cream mouton grizzly from Aero. I need to get some photos posted. @ton, I suspect you could live in a grizzly during those Chicago winters.
Oh boy!
sounds like I dodged a bullet on this one…
I would love to see some photos of your Aero grizzly when you get a chance.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've got two Grizzly jackets, both Aero, two different sizing. The 40 is a bit short @ 23", the 42 is better @ 24". I don't think the slim straight style pattern @ 26" length would work for me because the fur would look pudgy in the mid torso section when the length gets longer.

Warmth wise I don't think these are over heated jackets because the hair face outwards than inwards. So it doesn't trap body heat as well as the shearling which has the fur on the inside. The fur will block the cold from coming in, but to stay warm it's up to what kind of liner is used.

I wore mine in our last snow fall. The fur handled wet snow just fine. The snow would actually cake on top of the fur, not soaking it through immediately. If anything the wet snow would soak through the grain leather shoulders first but I didn't experience that either. There was plenty of time to get to where I needed to go and dust off the snow before I head inside. And I live in PNW, so its wetter here than other dry snow areas. I wouldn't wear these in the rain but I think snow is fine.

40 fits short like a cropped motorcycle jacket
IMG_0571.JPG

42 is an inch longer and more functional as a winter jacket, with room for a insulation vest mid layer.
IMG_0798.JPG

I also looked at the Baloo jacket. I dig the buttons closures, it's a classier look.

jchance

One of the Regulars
The Baloo is what pulled me in a few years ago. I bought one during some holiday sale. I’m 6’1.5”, and the size 42 fit me really well. That said, I didn’t care for the matte black leather treatment—it looked like it was painted on with my kids’ water colors. There was no depth whatsoever. The mouton looked like a hastily done grown-out hair dye treatment, too. All in all, I thought it paled in person in comparison to how it’s photographed, so I sold it. It didn’t help either that I could barely squeeze my hands, which are not huge by any means, into the pockets.

This seems to be a consensus for Mister Freedom’s tea core black leather (matte black, no depth) from its (former) owners. Not sure if the Natural Leather version fares better long term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner