Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Stetson Open Road

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...I have a Hatter 5 miles from my house so part of the idea of getting a new Stetson is to give him business so that I can keep having a hatter 5 miles from my house. ...

Jeff

Hi again Jeff

That's a noble gesture, but the same thing can be accomplished by having your local hatter work on hats that you purchased somewhere else. My hatter (Hatman Jack) gets a lot of business from me of the repair, re-shape, and replace category. I bought my kid a moth eaten Stratton Trooper (Tan) or $22.50 at Levine's in StL. Jack is reshaping it to a fedora / bush hat style and putting a leather band on it. MY plan was to leave the trooper crown and have the brim changed drastically, but is seems no on values my opinion... Basically this gets my kid a $100 plus hat for $22.50 plus $20 (maybe more) to shape it and $15 for the band. I'll post the prices when we get it back in January 2011. For $57.50 plus tax, we're getting a decent outdoor hat. This is my son's first real fur felt hat, in fact this is his first non-baseball type hat since we bought him a stupid looking $10.00 wool Octoberfest hat before he was in third grade. I didn't want to blow the big $ when I have no real clue if he'll wear it or not.

Later

danofarlington

Hi again Jeff

That's a noble gesture, but the same thing can be accomplished by having your local hatter work on hats that you purchased somewhere else. My hatter (Hatman Jack) gets a lot of business from me of the repair, re-shape, and replace category. I bought my kid a moth eaten Stratton Trooper (Tan) or $22.50 at Levine's in StL. Jack is reshaping it to a fedora / bush hat style and putting a leather band on it. MY plan was to leave the trooper crown and have the brim changed drastically, but is seems no on values my opinion... Basically this gets my kid a $100 plus hat for $22.50 plus $20 (maybe more) to shape it and $15 for the band. I'll post the prices when we get it back in January 2011. For $57.50 plus tax, we're getting a decent outdoor hat. This is my son's first real fur felt hat, in fact this is his first non-baseball type hat since we bought him a stupid looking $10.00 wool Octoberfest hat before he was in third grade. I didn't want to blow the big $ when I have no real clue if he'll wear it or not.

Later

That sounds pretty sensible.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Hey Chuck!
Or anybody else.

I don't own a vintage Stetson, so I can't compare it to the Campdraft, but the CD is a great hat. Didn't Akubra make the Open Road for Stetson in the 60's? Nice tall crown on the Campdraft.
IMG_3462-1-1.jpg

Sorry to kind of go off topic, but I really love that hat pictured above my post, what make is it exactly?! I really want one! :D
Is it a campdraft?
Where can I find one?

Thanks guys! :)
Lonny.

Neophyte

That's an Akubra Campdraft in "Glen Grey." You can find it available now at HatsDirect.com, or you can find it with a 3-month wait at EverythingAustralian.com.au.

frussell

One Too Many
Has anyone tried one of the Miller Hats "Open Door," made by Biltmore? Looks like a pretty good alternative to modern low-crowned ORs, and long waits from Australia. Thanks, Frank

frussell

One Too Many
I like that 2 3/4" brim. My OR 25 has a 2 1/2" brim, and it's the only thing I'd change about it, besides the few moth bites. I may have to take a shot if Christmas gets boring. Frank

DougC

Practically Family
I don't own one--they have one at the local store. Nice looking, but, the straw/weave is not so nice. I can go look again if you want...are you looking for price or material info?

I have not seen the Open Door from Miller till now.
Looks to be a nice hat.
Hope to hear more about it.

opendoorz.jpg

Sure looks like what we've been telling Hatco to do = Open Road with an Open Crown.
That is a generous crown height, more like a Campdraft than current low crown OR.
I like how Door is only 1 letter different & rearanged from Road....

Sure looks like what we've been telling Hatco to do = Open Road with an Open Crown.
That is a generous crown height, more like a Campdraft than current low crown OR.
I like how Door is only 1 letter different & rearanged from Road....

Looks like a very decent price, if someone gets one of these, let us know what it's like!

Does anyone have a Stetson Open Road straw hat and what do they think about it?

Jeff

Hi Jed,

I have a straw OR that's about 5-7 years old. I like it, the quality is not exceptional, but acceptable. Of course, living in Ohio, I only wear it during the hotter days of summer. I had one years ago when I lived in Florida, it was a great hat for down there.

fmw

One Too Many
Hard to believe a retailer would have a web site in 2010 without on line ordering (e-commerce.) Amazing.

T Rick

Practically Family
I won't try anybody that describes a Stetson hat like this = 1000X Premium Wool Felt
especially with a $3750 price tag. You should a least know the product you are offering is not WOOL.
Some people just don't want to make money....
I saw that, and I understand where you're coming from. Seems ridiculous all around.

I'd guess it was a question of it being hard to get good help. Probably hired some copy writer/internet whizkid to put the site together, and terms got mixed somewhere. And when I called, at first I had a "new" young lady who didn't have a clue. When it took her awhile to find info for me (she offered to call back), eventually the owner got on the phone. I'm guessing he's nearly a one man operation. Whatever, he stocks some Akubra (mostly a few Western styles, and he gets them all from DM), and several other brands too. Stocks about 2500 hats he says (seems like a lot to me, but if you look at all the styles and sizes, I guess it's not that much- still, quite a few). Then again, some of the Members here probably own 100 hats or so... :D

Anyway, the price seems good. He's out of my size in black, he can order it or I can try one up or one down which he has in stock...

Well, I know if my store name is on the site, I am proofing the copy being displayed & if I stock that many hats, I'm knowing WOOL felt is not a good thing to describe a top of the line Stetson.
Those are good prices, same goes for the Dune...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner