Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Whippet...

clossonrr

New in Town
is this right?

Hi all; thanks for the warm welcome a couple of weeks ago when i came to this forum.:cool: I just received my 2nd fedora in the mail today; a stetson whippet from the village hat shop. Immediately i found this hat is leaps and bounds of better quality than my wool felt belfry gangster. I have on problem though I was hoping for help with. As this fedora is not a one size fits all "Large" model like my other one, its sits higher on my head, being a newbie i am not sure if this is correct as it feels AWKWARD. I have uploaded some pictures can you please tell me does this hat appear to fit correctly on my head? It is a 7 1/8. Is it just right or just i exchange it for a 7 3/8. By the way i am always bald. THANKS!!:) Also if i do not end up exchanging is there a trick to get the brim to stay down? it keeps snapping up!
whippet03.jpg

whippet02.jpg

whippet01.jpg

whippet04.jpg

whippet05.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
Is it comfortable or tight in these pictures? It looks to me like it's sitting at about the right height or slightly high, so if it's at all tight at this height, I'd suggest moving up one size to 7-1/4. If it's comfortable, I'd say 7-1/8 is your size.

Regarding snapping up, are you snapping it down just at the front center or for some distance along the front? In your final picture, it looks like you only snapped it down in the middle. Try snapping it down at least across the width of your forehead and I'll bet it'll stay down.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It IS riding just a bit high Clossonrr, but not terribly so. I'd say 1/2 size up would make it fit better & feel better. As for snapping? hold the hat in front of you with the brim between thumbs and fingers and snap it but the brim till it's approx ear to ear ( as mentioned above). If it's really stiiff, keep doing this until the felt loosens a bit. Once you put it on your head it will be easy with just one hand caressing it across your brow.

clossonrr

New in Town
sorry all looks like i had a typo the size of this hat is 7 1/4. Thanks for all of your help! looks like i will might be keeping this one then. It is SLIGHTLY tight at this size but I am afraid that going a full size up will make this size issue even worse. Art i think you are right a 1/2 size bigger would probably be perfect but unfortunately stetson won't make a custom size for me like you would! Maybe i should just return it and wait till i have enough money to purchase one from mr. fawcett. Man this is tough
What do you suggest should i try the 7 3/8 or would that just screw me more in this case???? Also snapping the brim from ear to ear was the solution there, thank you all!!!!!

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
You just need to pick up a stretcher - you will eventually need one no-matter-what. Set it to a slight stretch - just enough that there is some tension, but not a lot, and let it set there all night, again next night, especially put the stretcher in right after you have been wearing the hat and the leather is nice and warm - let it cool out on that stretcher overnight.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I have a modern Whippet and it seems like it's a little tighter than other modern Stetsons I have at the same size as the Whippet (7 3/8). I'm sure you could exchange it for one the next size up. Then again, a stretcher may be the solution. I have used one on mine, but it always seems to want to return back to its original size over time.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Every hat wearer should have a stretcher just for emergencies like a shrinking hat. You can pick one up pretty cheaply and will often be used for 1/2 size stretches..

suitedcboy

One Too Many
IN the pictures it looks to me like it has gaps on both sides at temple area. I have a long or even extra long oval noggin and I have to dampen the inner brim a bit with distilled water on a cloth and put a hat on and pull it down and let it dry for a while on my head in order to get a truly conformed comfortable fit. If there really is space in the area I mentioned then getting it to conform will make the fit SO much better.

carldelo

One Too Many
Went to Bencraft on Friday and picked out my Christmas present from the missus - a new Whippet in Caribou. The Sovereign felt is nicely pliable, a little thinner than my old Chatham, but pretty dense. Fit and finish is good, the Caribou on this hat is almost dove-gray, without the brown undertones of my Caribou Ashland. For now I plan to leave the feather in, but will try to remove the Stetson label. I'm very happy with it.
Click for bigger pics:

Dobb

Familiar Face
A New Whippet?

I have been looking for an original Stetson Whippet and I am at the point of giving up and going for a new one. First of all, I am size 73/8, so the the search is much harder than if i was a more standard size of say 7 or 71/8. Anyway, I've decided to go for a new Whippet and would appreciate some opinions on the quality of the new hats.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Dobb, personally I wouldn't buy the modern Whippet. I don't think it really looks like the older models too much and I'm sure you'll find a vintage one to be much better quality.

If finding a vintage Whippet is proving to be unsuccessful there are a couple of other good options.

Find a vintage hat in the Whippet style (but without the Whippet logo). This could be a Royal Deluxe Stetson, an Adam, Dobbs or one of several other hat makers. Because the Whippet model was pretty popular, many companies made their own hat in that style and they are often easier to find and less expensive than a Whippet.

You could also get a custom version made. Many of the hat makers, Art Fawcett, TonyB at Tumwater, Bob at Black Sheep or the Falcon Park guy could hlep you with this and get you a nice hat.

Having said that, you might look in eBay this evening and find there is a great vintage Whippet in your size and favorite colour combo at a great Buy it Now price. It happens!

Dobb

Familiar Face
Dobb, personally I wouldn't buy the modern Whippet. I don't think it really looks like the older models too much and I'm sure you'll find a vintage one to be much better quality.

If finding a vintage Whippet is proving to be unsuccessful there are a couple of other good options.

Find a vintage hat in the Whippet style (but without the Whippet logo). This could be a Royal Deluxe Stetson, an Adam, Dobbs or one of several other hat makers. Because the Whippet model was pretty popular, many companies made their own hat in that style and they are often easier to find and less expensive than a Whippet.

You could also get a custom version made. Many of the hat makers, Art Fawcett, TonyB at Tumwater, Bob at Black Sheep or the Falcon Park guy could hlep you with this and get you a nice hat.

Having said that, you might look in eBay this evening and find there is a great vintage Whippet in your size and favorite colour combo at a great Buy it Now price. It happens!
Thanks DJH, I can't find the Whippet on ebay. Maybe it is gone already. Did you actually see the hat today? Thanks

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Check tomorrow - maybe it will be there then =)

(or the day after - everything shows up there sooner or later!)

Dobb

Familiar Face
Check tomorrow - maybe it will be there then =)

(or the day after - everything shows up there sooner or later!)
Sorry about that. I misread your reply and ran over to ebay half cocked. The whippet seems to be one of the most popular styles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR