Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moleskin

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Several members of this forum have recommended moleskin for pockets.

What do members here think about moleskin as a liner? Is it relatively warm, or used mainly for its softness?

(Eastman uses moleskin for their Luftwaffe and 3/4 Length Flying Coat.)

Dav

One Too Many
I think I remember a member here having moleskin in one of his Aeros and not liking it as it seemed to cling on to his clothes and if I remember correctly the jacket seemed to take a while to settle after he put it on. I have it as pocket lining and it does cling to my hands if they are slightly damp at all. Perhaps there is different types and what Eastman use is different I don't know much about it really.
I think it was one of Jan Solo' jackets but not sure.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, there are different thicknessess of moleskin. It's basically just a thick cotton with a brushed surface which looks velvet-like. It would make a thick and warm lining and may restrict movement. I have a blazer made in molskin with a satin lining. It's a lovely thing. Moleskin is classic peasant cloth - like corduroy - used by laborers.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for the replies.

(BTW, Dav, I like your avatar. I don't remember: is that a Cheyenne or a Stockman?)

Well, there are different thicknessess of moleskin. It's basically just a thick cotton with a brushed surface which looks velvet-like. It would make a thick and warm lining and may restrict movement.

Would it restrict movement due to its thickness or its velvety "nap" (or both)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff