Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Monster Mash' singer dead at 69

Hondo

One Too Many
I happen upon this article today, have fond memories, always thought it was Karloff's voice, it was a favorite to many, one and only hit this guy ever had. R.I.P. Boris
:(

NEW YORK (AP) -- He does the "Monster Mash" no more.

Bobby "Boris" Pickett, whose dead-on Boris Karloff impression propelled the Halloween anthem to the top of the charts in 1962, making him one of pop music's most enduring one-hit wonders, has died of leukemia. He was 69.

Pickett, dubbed "The Guy Lombardo of Halloween," died Wednesday night at the West Los Angeles Veterans Hospital, said his longtime manager, Stuart Hersh. His daughter, Nancy, and his sister, Lynda, were at Pickett's bedside.

"Monster Mash" hit the Billboard chart three times: when it debuted in 1962, reaching No. 1 the week before Halloween; again in August 1970, and for a third time in May 1973. The resurrections were appropriate for a song where Pickett gravely intoned the forever-stuck-in-your-head chorus: "He did the monster mash. ... It was a graveyard smash."

The novelty hit's fans included Bob Dylan, who played the single on his XM Satellite Radio program last October. "Our next artist is considered a one-hit wonder, but his one hit comes back year after year," Dylan noted.

The hit single ensured Pickett's place in the pantheon of pop music obscurities, said syndicated radio host Dr. Demento, whose long-running program celebrates offbeat tunes.

"It's certainly the biggest Halloween song of all time," said Demento. The DJ, who interviewed Pickett last year, said he maintained a sense of humor about his singular success: "As he loved to say at oldies shows, 'And now I'm going to do a medley of my hit.' "

Pickett's impression of Karloff (who despite his name was an Englishman, born William Henry Pratt) was forged in Somerville, Massachusetts, where the boy watched horror films in a theater managed by his father.

Pickett used the impersonation in a nightclub act and when performing with his band the Cordials. A bandmate convinced Pickett they needed to do a song to showcase the Karloff voice, and "Monster Mash" was born -- "written in about a half-hour," said Dr. Demento.

The recording, done in a couple of hours, featured a then-unknown piano player named Leon Russell and a backing band christened The Crypt-Kickers. It was rejected by four major labels before Gary Paxton, lead singer on the Hollywood Argyles' novelty hit "Alley Oop," released "Monster Mash" on his own label.

The instant smash became a sort-of Christmas carol for the pumpkin and ghoul set. In a 1996 interview with People magazine, Pickett said he never grew tired of it: "When I hear it, I hear a cash register ringing."

While Pickett never re-created its success, his "Monster's Holiday," a Christmas follow-up, reached No. 30 in December 1962. And "Graduation Day" hit No. 80 in June 1963.

He continued performing through his final gig in November. He remained in demand for Halloween performances, including a memorable 1973 show where his bus broke down outside Frankenstein, Missouri.

Beside his daughter and sister, Pickett is survived by two grandchildren.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/26/obit.pickett.ap/index.html

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Pickett was an interesting story.

The B side of the 45 with Monster Mash was a related number they didn't mention in the story called "Monster's Mash Party".

And a gent named John Zacherly spun the genre a bit further with an LP of related "music"....and still is in the biz. Here's his website.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess working in the lab late at night took it's toll...

But like you, it was one of my favorites and Halloween nut that I am, it's playing around the house countless times every October.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
I guess working in the lab late at night took it's toll...

But like you, it was one of my favorites and Halloween nut that I am, it's playing around the house countless times every October.

I am somehow obligated to be a halloween nut....although as a child...it really -sucked- in major ways to share my birthday.....never got to have just a birthday party with no Halloween theme....etc....

As a grown up its better.....

Hondo

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I am somehow obligated to be a halloween nut....although as a child...it really -sucked- in major ways to share my birthday.....never got to have just a birthday party with no Halloween theme....etc....

As a grown up its better.....

Don't be sad, I too as a child never had a birthday theme party,
This song gave halloween and rock & roll music something sweet.
Lively for the dead set :p Any one ever see Boris Karloff in video of this song? Really touching :)

I was working in the lab late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash
He did the monster mash
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash
He did the mash
It caught on in a flash
He did the mash
He did the monster mash

From my laboratory in the castle east
To the master bedroom where the vampires feast
The ghouls all came from their humble abodes
To get a jolt from my electrodes

They did the mash
They did the monster mash
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash
They did the mash
It caught on in a flash
They did the mash
They did the monster mash

The zombies were having fun
The party had just begun
The guests included Wolf Man
Dracula and his son

The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds
Igor on chains, backed by his baying hounds
The coffin-bangers were about to arrive
With their vocal group, "The Crypt-Kicker Five"

They played the mash
They played the monster mash
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash
They played the mash
It caught on in a flash
They played the mash
They played the monster mash

Out from his coffin, Drac's voice did ring
Seems he was troubled by just one thing
He opened the lid and shook his fist
And said, "Whatever happened to my Transylvania twist?"

It's now the mash
It's now the monster mash
The monster mash
And it's a graveyard smash
It's now the mash
It's caught on in a flash
It's now the mash
It's now the monster mash

Now everything's cool, Drac's a part of the band
And my monster mash is the hit of the land
For you, the living, this mash was meant too
When you get to my door, tell them Boris sent you

Then you can mash
Then you can monster mash
The monster mash
And do my graveyard smash
Then you can mash
You'll catch on in a flash
Then you can mash
Then you can monster mash

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting obituary. Somewhere I have the album. Love that song. The single was re-released when I was a child. Children today still love it year around, as evidenced at the karaoke parties my library has for children.
I know how to Mashed Potato, Frug, Twist of course, Watusi, Monkey, Freddy, Green Onion, Pony, and Louie Louie. Dont know how to Freak or Monster Mash.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Does anyone alive today actually remember how to dance the Monster Mash? It was a dance as well as a song, right?

Ah, the dances of the early '60s: the Jerk, the Freak, the Pony, the Twist, the Mashed Potato ...

I knew all of those when I was about 6......

My mom was -quite- the dancer in her heydey.....and so she used to teach me the dances that went with the songs......some of them played on the 8 track.....damn i miss the 8 track....

panamag8or

Practically Family
The first album I ever bought was one of those K-Tel novelty song compilations, and that was on it. Cool song. Pickett may be gone, but that song will live as long as there is a Halloween.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Ooooh, the Monster Mash!!! My wonderful delightful teenage days!!!!lol lol
That was such a fun song.:D
The Twist, Mash Potato, Locomotion, Watusi, Surfin'....party songs!!!
Now, I must go dig up some recordings from these days.:p
Oh, yeah, whatever people say of the '60, there were plenty that were good and fun.lol lol

Hmmm, but 69? That is so young yet, gosh, these days seem ages ago, but I guess not that much.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR