Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montechristi Panamas: are these types of holes normal?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
This is where authenticity clashes with modern marketing. Straw hats weren't designed to be "investments", or particular style elements, they were simply a means to keep the sun and rain off your head, using the materials you had readily available. We've placed far more value on them then was intended, to the point they've lost much of their original function.
You could substitute "straw" with "felt" throughout that post and be just as right :)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
It's always seemed odd to me that the Panama is probably the last kind of straw you'd actually want for the Tropics. Turbulence is one of those areas of physics that no one understands, and this explains why weather reports in this part of the world are so laughable for most of the year. One good downpour and your high-end Montechristi investment is a fistfull of horse-fodder. Besides, the higher the weave-count the less air gets admitted, and then, also, the harder it is to maintain the shape of the brim. I've seen super-expensive Monte's looking like Jed Clampett's hat on The Beverly Hillbillies. I'm not saying they're not lovely hats (just look at those weaves on the previous page), it's just that you couldn't wear them here.

This is where authenticity clashes with modern marketing. Straw hats weren't designed to be "investments", or particular style elements, they were simply a means to keep the sun and rain off your head, using the materials you had readily available. We've placed far more value on them then was intended, to the point they've lost much of their original function.

High end panama hats are not a modern invention. This photo of the Sak's & Co. is from 1919. In the center you see a Monte Cristi priced at $100.00. Also rain does not ruin the hat, it just might need to be re-blocked. A much more common service available in the day.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/8238
http://www.shorpy.com/node/8238?size=_original#caption

High end panama hats are not a modern invention. This photo of the Sak's & Co. is from 1919. In the center you see a Monte Cristi priced at $100.00. Also rain does not ruin the hat, it just might need to be re-blocked. A much more common service available in the day.

1919 is pretty modern in the history of head coverings. My point is that straw hats are common to warm weather areas because historically straw was available to make hats and it did the job of protecting the head. Straw hats in tropical areas evolved naturally, they weren't arbitrarily assigned. It may seem incongruent now, expensive straw hats in areas prone to sudden rain, but only because we've place a high monetary value on certain straw hats

Bolero

A-List Customer
Panamas, White or Off White should not be worn until Memorial Day or May 31st, whichever comes first, also never wear in the Rain... protect it by putting it under your shirt or such...
Almost any hat will protect you from the Sun but you will look smart, sophisticated, intelligent, fashionable and Worldly in a White Panama...
Straw & straw colored Fedoras/Panamas can be worn year round...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panamas, White or Off White should not be worn until Memorial Day or May 31st, whichever comes first, also never wear in the Rain... protect it by putting it under your shirt or such...
Almost any hat will protect you from the Sun but you will look smart, sophisticated, intelligent, fashionable and Worldly in a White Panama...
Straw & straw colored Fedoras/Panamas can be worn year round...
It really is a matter of taste. A white Panama in Miami is also the sure sign of the tourist with money, and it can be seen from several blocks away.

Straw Hat Day is May 15th.

But that all depends on your distance from the equator, and whether or not you want to follow the rules.

For me, Straw Hat Day is any day that's over about 80 degrees. That could be Memorial Day, that could be Christmas Day. The summer/winter rules of just about anything vary with latitude.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
People who can figure out for the themselves when to wear a straw hat won't need a white Panama hat to ensure me about their intelligence or smartness.

On the other hand, people that comply to rigid rules - and are trying to make others do likewise - may benefit from a white Panama(?) At least I'm not aware if this rather absurd/exotic thesis has ever been scientifically proved wrong :D

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Whoaaaa....Rules are the BackBone of Civilized Society./.../ we need them to keep from falling into a Place of Depravity and there are many places in the World that fit this description
Rules about the wearing of Panama hats ...?!??!!! You gotta be kidding! *ROTFL*

We have very different (probably directly opposite) views on the nature of "depravity", Sir!

AndyR

One of the Regulars
High end panama hats are not a modern invention. This photo of the Sak's & Co. is from 1919. In the center you see a Monte Cristi priced at $100.00

Wow, great storefront. I think a sight like that today would take my breath away.

I notice when I watch some old TV shows (Andy Griffith), that they wore tons of straw hats. Still today (after years of not wearing a Panama hat), I noticed there is straw everywhere on nice days at farmer's market's, art shows, festivals, etc.

I can go the entire fall/winter and not see another felt fedora, but I see straw all summer long. When I bought mine, I expected to be the only person wearing one.

Last edited:
Fck the "rules."

No way man! I go 'strictly' by the rules. In fact, if I see someone wearing straw after Sept. 15th, I'm going to pound the #%@& out of them. I'll just make sure they are older and more feeble than I am. :)

Picture4.jpg

Bolero

A-List Customer
My goal is to live in a place so hot and sunny year round that I don't have to worry about such rules......panama, shorts, T and flip flops will be the rule.

Panama, Shorts, Tee shirt all OK with a Panama Hat..... but Flip Flops, absolutely Out of the Question...can you imagine Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sean Connery, Lee Marvin in Flip Flops...cmon........Andy Garcia maybe, he has really lowered his Standards lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner